1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/1/14 1:58 p.m.

Wow. No rust and no wreck on a project car? Lucky or weird... or both.

The
The HalfDork
8/1/14 4:21 p.m.
jsquared said: I am shedding a few tears since this is happening to what looked like such a pristine street car, but it looks like you are doing it the proper way!

let me put your mind as ease this car is in no way pristine, no damage but it did have 166k on it..

The
The HalfDork
8/1/14 4:38 p.m.

RECEIVED what do i do now mikey?....new radiator, oil cooler, fan, plugs, oil change...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/1/14 4:49 p.m.

What do you mean what do I do? Start installing all those parts and take pics to share with us!!

The
The HalfDork
8/1/14 7:17 p.m.
slip said: You should have no problems selling the cinnamon interior.

you got that right, they love it on the west coast...

wacker said: EDIT: Oh, and it looks nice. You probably should have started with something less heartbreaking to throw away the entire inside of

throw away, i sold the two front seats and door panels for a thousand smackers, thus the MXL Strada and the PnP harness...

The
The HalfDork
8/3/14 3:07 p.m.

so i am using a AIM display and it was really bugging me the CF panel that replaces the oem guages cost $270 bucks....are you kidding me, so i take my oem guage housing take the guts out of (major weight), paint it, cover it with CF whatever it's not really worth much anyway, mount your AIM display to it slide it back into the dash...tighter than dicks hat band, just saved 270 bucks..... i am sure its been done before......

Pressure washed front end bits.... you took your heater core out....how do you block the water intakes? just plug the hoses? test drilled some holes for the csl roof

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/3/14 3:23 p.m.

What is the csl roof?

The
The HalfDork
8/3/14 3:29 p.m.

the bmw CSL M3 came with a carbon fiber roof, the roof panel is also sold as a aftermarket up grade, you drill out the spot welds remove the panel, then glue in your fiber panel.

The
The HalfDork
8/4/14 11:46 a.m.
whacker said: disable steering wheel lock, done

that little pin aint no joke, thats the hardest thing i have done on this car so far.....no fun at all, had i not had the dash and windsheild out..E36 M3

The
The HalfDork
8/4/14 1:49 p.m.

today, cleaned radiator, housing and assorted bits, also got out the well worn bumper cover and the brake duct intakes, trying to figure out how to bring this bumper cover back to life as it will have a carbon splitter and head light blanks....

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/14 2:50 p.m.
The wrote: test drilled some holes for the csl roof

Minor surgery...

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/14 7:36 p.m.

Don't stop now... (As if you could...)

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
8/5/14 12:35 p.m.

This is awesome.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/5/14 5:16 p.m.
The wrote:

Dude, there's a NASCAR guy hiding in your garage....

The
The HalfDork
8/6/14 5:17 a.m.
Dude, there's a NASCAR guy hiding in your garage....

"When it was what it should be today"

The
The HalfDork
8/6/14 4:26 p.m.

cut out the back of the fog light openings so the ducts will fit flush.........Damn the QuickJack that is holding me up and it will NOT be here until October, but they have had my money for over a month......not sure if i will use screws or a some type of glue to mount the ducts to the bumper cover....

The
The HalfDork
8/7/14 4:46 p.m.

BimmerWorld carbon head light inserts, they are proud of these.......

still cannot decide how to spiff up the bumper cover

The
The HalfDork
8/11/14 2:48 p.m.

removed the 3 ton oem muff, i guess one of those 250 buck ebay specials will replace it. spotting the spot welds......

The
The HalfDork
8/13/14 5:35 a.m.

well it is easier than i thought, when you hear those welds pop you know you are heading in the right direction, kinda hard not to drill through the second layer, i am going to have to fix those or have the cage guy do it...and i thought it would take 6 harbor freight drill bits but it looks like 1 will do it...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/13/14 6:56 a.m.
The wrote: removed the 3 ton oem muff, i guess one of those 250 buck ebay specials will replace it.

Have your local exhaust fab place make you something similar to this to fit your headers out of 3.5" diameter 304 stainless using a Summit Racing brand muffler and open center section. Mine cost me $340 to make (3.0" for S52/E36) start to finish myself. I expect it would be $600 or so to have made custom. Once you get the 2-1 Y pipe fabbed the rest is really easy and super light. The slick connectors are on ebay for $20 each.

Example: http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerworld-e46-m3-exhaust---race-version-p1682.aspx

Or... since you a balla... buy that one and save yourself time. You also need the $3000 headers to go with though

The
The HalfDork
8/13/14 5:39 p.m.

balla dont need no top..

Cuda
Cuda Reader
8/13/14 8:10 p.m.

What is your best guess as to how much weight you will save with the CF roof. All that sunroof stuff adds up quick. Oh, and awesome build!

The
The HalfDork
8/14/14 7:38 a.m.
cuda said: What is your best guess as to how much weight you will save with the CF roof. All that sunroof stuff adds up quick. Oh, and awesome build!

the sunroof assembly weighs about 40 pounds, which just unbolts and is easily removed beyond that, whats left of the roof does not weight much more than the CF roof so i would say if i had it to do over again i would take out the sunroof and put the CF insert in the sunroof opening take the extra 1200 bucks and use on some other mod, but it will look cool, along with the CF deck lid, hood, fenders etc...

The
The HalfDork
8/14/14 2:57 p.m.

exhaust is out, those last 3 header bolts are kickin my arse...... by the way, the last custom buggy i built won the first show it was in (POW/MIA Theme)

The
The HalfDork
8/15/14 3:06 p.m.

tried the duplicolor spray on black matte on the bumper cover, that crap spurted out like you were spraying bedliner or under coating leaving me a huge mess and no it dont peel off so you get blisters on your fingers rubbing it off then try something else, i wish i could find somebody to wrap it in CF

at least the sound deadening is coming off like butta for a balla

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oYKepu96IP7qseI0Mm6uaXBZZYnAFydI5jmBJdxdspzVVid1qvS3PBVvAs6lgrvJ