1 2 3
JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
10/3/12 9:43 a.m.

Well, I FINALLY got my damn dyno graph. Here she is:

Of course I'm happy with the peak #'s compared to my stock dyno (360whp/355wtq), but I was more concerned with WHERE I picked up the power, so I went ahead and graphed the comparison. To me, it's MUCH more interesting:

All in all, I picked up a good 15-60whp and 20-50wtq. within the powerband and the meat of the power is right where I wanted it with the cam.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
10/3/12 9:53 a.m.

Nice! If you get it on a rack/lift, I would like to see a picture of how the headers fit around the torque tube?

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
10/3/12 10:00 a.m.
Gasoline wrote: Nice! If you get it on a rack/lift, I would like to see a picture of how the headers fit around the torque tube?

I don't have any pictures of mine, but I found this one. The headers aren't the same, but gives you a better grasp. They fit under the tq. tube. Flat as Kansas down there:

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
1/22/13 9:41 a.m.

Spring 2013 Teaser:

Parts list:

• ACI front lip and side skirts
  • Mantic ER2 clutch/flywheel
  • New slave, speed bleeder, other necessary clutch parts
  • Poly torque tube couplers
  • FAST 92 intake manifold
  • Ported LS2 throttle body
  • Catch can
  • Shift knob

The exterior will get a nice refresh with the new body parts and I have a couple other plans not mentioned.

Definitely looking forward to warmer weather!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/23/13 3:12 p.m.

I've driven a stock C6 and scraped the front end on everything. I can't imagine getting through any sort of parking lot or up a curb in this.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/13 6:13 p.m.

Isn't an LS2 a DBI throttle body? Why would you swap that onto a cable-driven LS1?

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
1/24/13 4:31 p.m.
Harvey wrote: I've driven a stock C6 and scraped the front end on everything. I can't imagine getting through any sort of parking lot or up a curb in this.

The lip goes as low as the black chin spoiler. I've scraped it a few times but the roads I drive are pretty flat, along with my driveway. I don't park in a ramp anymore so I'm not too worried about it.

Javelin wrote: Isn't an LS2 a DBI throttle body? Why would you swap that onto a cable-driven LS1?

It's a direct swap - all C5s are DBW. F bodies are cable-driven. Oh, and I have an LS6

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
3/13/13 10:10 a.m.

Well, I wasn't really planning on this, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. I found a set of GM T1 sway bars with spherical endlinks for a ridiculous $200. I plan on PC'ing them to match the color of the red brake calipers. The front's a ridiculous 38mm (~1.5"), while the rear is a stout 27mm (~1"). These things are burly. Should help keep her pretty flat around the twisties...

Oh, and the clutch is in! Waiting on clear weather to break it in yet, but loving it so far.

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
4/29/13 10:15 a.m.

Got the body pieces painted and installed this weekend. Overall I love the new look - although the fitment isn't perfect and seamless, it does look much more aggressive. Definitely gets much more attention too.

I also had all the lights smoked and painted the brake duct screens black to help compliment the scheme. I still have to paint the lower rear fascia black to complete the refresh.

Now I just have to powdercoat the swaybars and throw those on, install the intake manifold, tune and I should be pretty well set for the year.

What do you guys think? Crappy cell pics but you get the idea:

Harvey
4/29/13 10:32 a.m.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan as it is starting to look a bit like a late 90s early 2000s Pontiac Firebird to me, but it certainly isn't bad.

It's starting to grow on me as I keep looking it over though. Certainly seems to have come out nice overall.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
4/29/13 11:13 a.m.

I think it looks awesome.

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
4/29/13 11:24 a.m.
Harvey wrote: To be honest I'm not a huge fan as it is starting to look a bit like a late 90s early 2000s Pontiac Firebird to me, but it certainly isn't bad. It's starting to grow on me as I keep looking it over though. Certainly seems to have come out nice overall.

I hear ya. It took awhile to grow on me before I pulled the trigger and I think in person it looks a little more subtle.

I still need to tie the rear in somehow but unfortunately there's nothing available in the way of a diffuser or lip piece that looks decent. Hoping painting the lower rear fascia will help.

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
4/29/13 11:24 a.m.
dculberson wrote: I think it looks awesome.

Thanks!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/29/13 11:26 a.m.

You need a fixed-beam conversion to make that thing look totally bad-ass.

Harvey
4/29/13 2:43 p.m.

I think I'm over my initial impression and I like it now.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/29/13 2:47 p.m.

I dig it. Not necessarily because i think it looks INCREDIBLE, but mostly because it doesn't look like every other Vette i see on the road now. Dare to be different and all that.

The fact that it's not ricey and offensive is just icing on the cake.

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
4/29/13 3:31 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: You need a fixed-beam conversion to make that thing look *totally* bad-ass.

'eh...maybe I'm stuck in the 80s but I can't stand the ones that are out there. All of them have the bubble that doesn't flow with the lines on the car, and they just stick out like sore thumbs to me. Not my thing, but I'd like to get HIDs someday...

Harvey wrote: I think I'm over my initial impression and I like it now.

Haha, well good! Glad to hear that and thanks!

Swank Force One wrote: I dig it. Not necessarily because i think it looks INCREDIBLE, but mostly because it doesn't look like every other Vette i see on the road now. Dare to be different and all that. The fact that it's not ricey and offensive is just icing on the cake.

I completely agree with you. I think it looks good, not mind blowing by any means but it's certainly not something you see everyday. That's really the main reason I got this kit and went this route.

Now, if we want to talk about INCREDIBLE, well nearly every C5 owner creams over this one. There's a lot of subtle details most people won't notice, but overall, this is the cat's ass:

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
4/29/13 3:41 p.m.

NO to the bulge on the hood on that one. I have yet to see an aftermarket bulgy hood that doesn't detract from the overall look of the car. If you need head extraction for functionality then a recessed vent is way better looking.

Harvey's post about making a Corvette look like an F-body is actually true with that hood and bumper combo. I much prefer the front of your car over that one!!!

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
4/29/13 3:57 p.m.
JohnnyT wrote: There's a lot of subtle details most people won't notice, but overall, this is the cat's ass:

Well you said it. Looks like a NSX went and had an affair with Sideswipe from the Transformers and shat that thing.

Vulgar.

I like it.

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
4/29/13 4:34 p.m.
dculberson wrote: NO to the bulge on the hood on that one. I have yet to see an aftermarket bulgy hood that doesn't detract from the overall look of the car. If you need head extraction for functionality then a recessed vent is way better looking. Harvey's post about making a Corvette look like an F-body is actually true with that hood and bumper combo. I much prefer the front of your car over that one!!!

Yeah I tend to agree with you on the hood. I don't get near the high temps needed to demand a heat extracting hood and I actually really like the stock hood - it just flows so well with the stock lines on the car.

I was actually tempted to go with that front bumper at one time but in the end I'm glad I didn't. The exterior's pretty well good for now and I'm more than pleased with how it turned out.

Flight Service wrote: Well you said it. Looks like a NSX went and had an affair with Sideswipe from the Transformers and shat that thing. Vulgar. I like it.

HAHA, I totally hear you. It's disgusting how good that car looks and I think one of the biggest helpers to the overall effect is that it's black. My car wouldn't look nearly that good being silver. If I recall, the whole rear clip is molded together too. Notice there's no door handles either?

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
4/30/13 11:46 a.m.

In reply to JohnnyT:

I didn't notice that but I couldn't stop staring at the urethane sagging under the passenger side head lights.

That is a huge issue with a large portion the aftermarket, they can't maintain/don't care about the quality and durability of their stuff.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/30/13 11:51 a.m.

I don't care what you do, just make sure you do the same rear spoiler thing that he has.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/13 1:29 p.m.

I don't know I think it needs a bit more rear tire under it. . .

Harvey
5/1/13 9:35 a.m.

I agree, I like the front end on JohnnyT's car better than the one on the black car and I don't like the hood on the black car either, but that rear end on the black car looks pretty nice from this angle, would need more pics from the rear to be sure though.

All in all I prefer JT's car over the black one.

I keep bouncing around whether I want to dump my turbo Miata and get into a C5 Z06, but I always look at how cheap it is to go fast in the Miata and I end up leaving the Vette for the future.

JohnnyT
JohnnyT New Reader
5/1/13 9:54 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to JohnnyT: I didn't notice that but I couldn't stop staring at the urethane sagging under the passenger side head lights. That is a huge issue with a large portion the aftermarket, they can't maintain/don't care about the quality and durability of their stuff.

That could just be a lighting effect as I know that kit is pretty high quality. I agree though, a lot of manufacturers throw out a junk mold with questionable quality and hope consumers will bite. I was pretty fortunate on the ACI pieces I got. It's not perfect by any means, but I'm not going for trophy-winning show quality - the car's a decade old after all.

Swank Force one wrote: I don't care what you do, just make sure you do the same rear spoiler thing that he has.

Yeah I love that piece. I think it's completely custom though.

dean1484 wrote: I don't know I think it needs a bit more rear tire under it. . .

Haha! I bet his 345s aren't quite cutting it...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FXzJ1gFogNovBntom9XiDqp0IWZSLSqELAejMnbl2ANwycxs35MOJOnTYhXpeHhC