dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/19 9:07 p.m.

I was chatting with a buddy recently who races in spec Boxster. He and I share a mechanic, who is also a close friend. The 3 of us are talking about doing some WRL racing later this year. I'm the weak link (the 3rd friend races an e30 in SCCA) so we'll see if that happens. While talking, he happens to mention that he recently bought an ex-rally car from the FIRM, the race track nearby in Keystone Heights, FL (aka the GRM test track). When I ask him what he plans to do with it, he mostly shrugs his shoulders and says "For $300, how could I not buy it?" 

After recovering from the shock of his answer, I tell him that I'd love to buy it from him since he doesn't really have plans for it, as my 14.5 year old has suddenly expressed an interest in rally cars! He says sure, but adds that it's at the shop (of the aforementioned mechanic/friend) for a power steering and radiator repair. So, after that repair bill, I am now in to the car for $685. Not bad for a running, driving, fully caged, race seated, harnessed rally car!

As you can assume, the first thing we did is take it right to the track and attempted to drive the wheels off it! We headed to the FIRM this past weekend for one of their weekly track days to see how it performed. The guy at the gate couldn't figure out why I was trailering in one of their cars. :D

For a $685 car, it performed shockingly well. All 3 of us took turns driving it, as well as the spec Boxster too. The Lancer held up the entire time, running on crappy tires, unknown brake pads and pretty clean looking oil. Once I got it home and put it away, it did develop a leak (pics below). But, all in all, it was amazing. 

Now, the plan is to work on the car together, with the goal of entering it in the $2019 Challenge. That will be interesting, as my son has no automotive or mechanical experience and I'm only slightly better. Nevertheless, he's super excited about the event and entering this car, so it will be a great opportunity for both of us to learn, as well as spend time together doing that. Be prepared for a million questions, as we'll need lots of help!

On to some pictures:

And here is the leak

First question - What's leaking and how do we fix it? 

Second question - What can we do to improve the performance of the 4G94 engine?

Lastly, here is video of me looping the car quite nicely: Lancer loop The video was captured by another buddy, driving a turbo Ariel Atom!

Let the fun continue!!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
1/10/19 9:39 p.m.

Looking at that cage, I would suggest to you that it will require some work to get a logbook, if you intend to get into rallying.

You bought it cheap enough though - congrats!

I can't help you with your questions

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/10/19 10:44 p.m.

^^ he beat me to it. But for that price, you have some budget left to upgrade the cage :)

10001110101 New Reader
1/11/19 7:40 a.m.
dyintorace said:

First question - What's leaking and how do we fix it? 

Second question - What can we do to improve the performance of the 4G94 engine?

Lastly, here is video of me looping the car quite nicely: Lancer loop The video was captured by another buddy, driving a turbo Ariel Atom!

Let the fun continue!!

1: Looks like the transmission from here. Pretty sure I see either RTV or a gasket being squeezed out between the trans case and that black plate.

2: No idea on that one. 

Can't wait to see your adventures, and so glad that your boy is into cars!

dyintorace
1/11/19 9:55 a.m.

Thanks for the comments so far. On the cage front, if we’re only planning on track days and rally-x, do we still need to update/upgrade the cage?

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/11/19 10:13 a.m.

Ill be the first to say I am jealous....... And I will follow your endevors!

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
1/11/19 10:46 a.m.

single door bar is not legal is most rally series, i don't know the new rules on rally-x, as there are no trees. Track days are all different and depend on sanctioning body and type of racing. 

I was just looking at focus and fiesta cages. if the tubing is thick enough adding a few extra bars shouldn't cost much.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/11/19 10:49 a.m.

$300??? anymore out there lol. Good deal looks like fun.

dyintorace
1/11/19 11:24 a.m.
FunkyCricket said:

single door bar is not legal is most rally series, i don't know the new rules on rally-x, as there are no trees. Track days are all different and depend on sanctioning body and type of racing. 

I was just looking at focus and fiesta cages. if the tubing is thick enough adding a few extra bars shouldn't cost much.

Thanks. We don't plan on any door to door (or door to tree) racing so hopefully we won't run afoul of any sanctioning bodies.

dyintorace
1/11/19 11:29 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

$300??? anymore out there lol. Good deal looks like fun.

They do have a few more cars for sale. One of which is a true stage rally Ford that was evidently sponsored by Microsoft back in the day.

dyintorace
1/11/19 11:32 a.m.

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/11/19 4:38 p.m.

$800?!?!?! Why did I see this..... 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/11/19 6:05 p.m.
dyintorace said:

Thanks for the comments so far. On the cage front, if we’re only planning on track days and rally-x, do we still need to update/upgrade the cage?

no. If you never intend to stage rally it, and just going to rallycross, just cut the cage out - it's just extra weight. 

ok, don't do that. Because having a cage is cool, regardless. :)

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/19 6:19 p.m.

The 4g94 doesn't have a huge amount of head room without importing everything from Aussie land at a big premium. It's not a well loved motor here overall. I would just enjoy it and keep it what it is a cheap beater race car. 

dyintorace
1/12/19 11:14 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

The 4g94 doesn't have a huge amount of head room without importing everything from Aussie land at a big premium. It's not a well loved motor here overall. I would just enjoy it and keep it what it is a cheap beater race car. 

I see cheap headers on Amazon. Would it be worth doing that, a CAI and a straight exhaust? The car has no title so it will never see the street. Plus it’s so quiet right now that it’s hard to hear in order to know when to shift. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/19 6:16 p.m.

With a good FSP build on a 4G93 motor (1.8L), I got 126 HP at the wheels without going crazy on the intake manifold side. That was with the good headers, full custom exhaust, and a standalone. With the Flea Bay parts, you may get 10-15 HP. You should be able to open source the ECU on that one if I remember right. It's been about 10 years since I messed with Mitsus. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/14/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Tempting, I actually drove that car in a competition for a race seat, back in 2008 or 2009.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
2/18/19 7:55 a.m.

Do you know what calipers are on the car? I might have a set of brakes for you. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/parts-sale/carbotech-xp8-front-brake-pads-lancer-de-es-gts/150734/page1/

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/19 7:30 p.m.

I wonder if a stock 4g69 could be used. I've got one in my 04 Ralliart wagon. It's a 2.4 liter long stroke engine, makes good torque and horsepower at 160/162, and is really durable. 

dyintorace
5/1/19 7:46 p.m.

The project has stalled for now. My son is finishing up the school year and work for me is super busy. We need to get back on it.  

I did buy a complete parts car to harvest from  

@trigun - I missed your post. I’ll see what i can figure out the calipers. 

@Floating Doc - It won’t be around long enough for an engine swap. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/19 7:58 p.m.

My buddy ended up buying that Focus. He’s now renting it out for central FL rallyx events. 

dyintorace
5/1/19 9:00 p.m.
Lof8 said:

My buddy ended up buying that Focus. He’s now renting it out for central FL rallyx events. 

That is so cool! If I hadn’t already bought the Lancer, I would have bought the Focus instead. 

What does he charge for use at an event?

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/19 9:28 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

I need to ask him. I’m not sure. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OOoy48Fasfkg3MI1F0mmJ4Ek5Vm6IcfwopS8ikMEriAQ4i7bNFyoBdCFkqLT37RM