1 2
jstein77
jstein77 Dork
3/15/13 9:52 a.m.

Being yellow, its automatically not a sleeper (unless you think its disguised as a taxicab). And Swank is correct, the Apexi does control the timing as well.

aday_spec15
aday_spec15
5/23/13 3:55 p.m.

PROPS ON THE BUILD, CAME ACROSS THIS POSTING LOOKING FOR PART FOR MY SPEC WHICH I HAVE DECIDED TO TURBO. DID WANT TO ASK YOU IF YOU COULD POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO GET THE PARTS I NEED? THANKS

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
5/24/13 10:58 a.m.

Turbo kit

The kit on my car came from Treadstone Performance.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/21/14 5:35 p.m.

The oil seal went bad in the turbo, so I'm replacing the center section. This evening I've drained the oil and removed the engine cover and intake. That's it for this evening, as the turbo is still much too hot to work on.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/21/14 7:05 p.m.

Also unpacked the new center section for the turbo.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/22/14 9:15 p.m.

I made good progress today. First I jacked the car high and put it on jackstands, then I removed the connecting pipe. Then I disconnected the oil drain line:

Disconnected the oil feed line as well.

Pulled the serpentine belt and removed the alternator to gain access to the lower left bolt on the exhaust manifold:

I then removed the bolts from the exhaust manifold. That's when I ran into the issue with the last bolt, which you guys helped me solve, thank you very much.

Success!

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/22/14 9:48 p.m.

Time for turbo disassembly. First the drain line comes off:

Then remove the guts:

And put the new guts in:

Enough work for one day. Tomorrow I put it all back together.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/23/14 2:36 p.m.

Making good progress today, but I'm stuck on a minor issue. First I reattached the oil drain line.

Then I took out my "problem child" stud, wire brushed it good, and made sure the nut spun freely on it. Then I loctited it back into place and put anti-sieze on all the studs.

Turbo back on the engine! I torqued all the nuts down to spec except for the one I can hardly reach, and I got that as tight as I could get it.

Accessories all went back on with no issues.

Almost done, but now I have an access issue again. I had disconnected other end of the oil feed line earlier today (long story), and now I can't get it started again; not enough room to get my hand in there. I'll rest for a bit and try again in a while. My back cramped up tight while lying under the car, so I just took a Naproxen and have to wait for it to loosen up again.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/24/14 11:34 a.m.

I cross-threaded the darn fitting, so now I need to search out a replacement hose. Other than that, the job's done.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/25/14 10:09 p.m.

Success! The car started and ran perfectly tonight. I'll drive it to work tomorrow.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/26/14 11:57 a.m.

Ran like a champ on the way to work this morning. I love it when a plan comes together.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JG6muB4Mem8uXEFnfoOHIItryr8kXTHHnz1UGYTxK2qd5t21fJ4TiJcjzI7vMdCp