dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 11:11 a.m.

I bought this GS450h from Ignatius Reilly on here (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/2007-lexus-gs450h/167439/page1/) for a really great price. I'm not sure what my plans are with this, but I figured I'd get it fixed up first and figure it out from there.

As received; the car is really in exceptional condition for the miles. I got all the service records on it and two keys and even a new in box set of floor mats.

First on the plate is the hybrid battery; it was showing as having one dead cell. I went ahead and ordered one cell, $40 shipped, prior to beginning work. I finally got to pulling the battery yesterday. And look at that: recoup money!

Here's the battery, out of the car and ready for surgery:

Leaving a gaping hole in the trunk:

And here we are with the cover off:

And corrosion on the terminals!

I had read about that possibility, and some folks claim that the corrosion was the only problem. However, I took all the bus bars off and tested cells and came up with two cells that are below spec. All cells were reading around 7.6v except for two - one at 6.3v and one at 6.7v. I decided to go ahead and order another cell to avoid having to pull the pack again down the road. So far that makes $80 worth of parts ordered. The cell should be here this week, and I'm hopeful I can put it in and reinstall the pack this weekend. Here's hoping that fixes the hybrid troubles!

Ignatius_reilly
Ignatius_reilly New Reader
6/1/20 11:33 a.m.

Great, I really look forward to following this.  What a great car that is, I'm glad you're up to the challenge of fixing it!  

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/20 11:40 a.m.

This is very cool.  Will be following along with interest.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/1/20 11:43 a.m.

Are you going to fix the burning oil issue?

6/1/20 1:01 p.m.

Thanks guys! @Ignatius: thanks again for the great deal. I hope you get to see photos of me driving it around soon!

mr2s2000elise said:

I'm going to see how bad it is and see if there's any easy fixes. If it needs internal engine repair I'm doubtful I will. I'm not averse to pulling a head on a car I love, but I'm not sure how long I'll have this car. I have heard there are some potential easy fixes (ie induction cleaning) that I'll certainly try.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 1:18 p.m.

I love that you just decided to dive into the battery. Much respect.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/1/20 1:32 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

Thanks guys! @Ignatius: thanks again for the great deal. I hope you get to see photos of me driving it around soon!

mr2s2000elise said:

I'm going to see how bad it is and see if there's any easy fixes. If it needs internal engine repair I'm doubtful I will. I'm not averse to pulling a head on a car I love, but I'm not sure how long I'll have this car. I have heard there are some potential easy fixes (ie induction cleaning) that I'll certainly try.

Yeah I am a long time lexus owner. When this came up for sale, I was going to pull the trigger, as I am very familiar with the battery. Did 2 battery swap on LS600hL. That said, once I saw the oil burning issue, I knew it wasn't my cup of tea. 

I am following yours with interest. 

6/1/20 1:43 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

I love that you just decided to dive into the battery. Much respect.

Thanks! I figured, I can't make it work less than not at all. Hopefully that proves to be true!!

6/1/20 1:44 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

This is my third GS and fifth or sixth Lexus. They do know how to put a car together right!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/1/20 1:55 p.m.

I badly wanted to snap this car up, but then lockdown happened. Glad it's still within GRM and should be ready to go another couple hundred thousand miles.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/1/20 2:22 p.m.

Will these cars drive with the battery disconnected? I'm curious to know whether the car's driving experience might be improved by just leaving that weight out completely.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/1/20 2:59 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

This is my third GS and fifth or sixth Lexus. They do know how to put a car together right!

No doubt. Hands down best quality in the industry.  Tier 1 all the way. We are on our 11th. Love the brand. Waiting for a LCF Vert, with the TT 600Hp. We will trade the RCF in, when that is out. 

Keep up the good work, sir!

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/1/20 10:29 p.m.

In reply to dculberson (Forum Supporter) :

I like threads like this and about Chevy Volts and car dismantling just to name a few! 

Ignatius_reilly
Ignatius_reilly New Reader
6/23/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to dculberson (Forum Supporter) :

Hey Dave,  I found an instrument cluster that I purchased at some point (~165K) with the intention of fixing the cruise control.  The dealer said the flux capacitor was out and wanted something like 3K to replace the speedo/instrument cluster.  I have a new (used) one at the house so let me know next time your down my way and you can pick it up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0eIJ3jrO6Ufo6fHHSLQ2ozH7vt0oViUKD8lgT61CsYBHT8qv2jRSb0rnxT5Vq6Pf