1 2
akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
5/18/18 12:38 p.m.

At BW3, on the way home.

First impression, the ride and noise level are as expected which is to say decent by my standards.  Very pleased with the stereo.

After 100 miles behind the wheel some needs have been observed.  Two tire pressure  monitors are flaking out, front left wheel bearing is just starting to make noise, rear shocks are shot.

I nailed it once to get out of the way of a new C7 ZR1, 70-100 was impressive and sounded great.

19.8 mpg at a steady 70, this is better than expected, I’ll take it.

The seller was great to deal with she even knocked off $500 after I showed her a small spot of rust that I had previously asked about.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/16/18 8:30 p.m.

This happened, these are stock on the off-road package.  The off-road package was dropped when the V8 was added in 2008, so I have to recreate it.

If anyone knows of an off road Pathfinder in a yard I would like the skid plates from it.

Today I had the whole family in it, the bad rear shocks need to go soon.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
6/17/18 7:07 a.m.
akylekoz said:

If anyone knows of an off road Pathfinder in a yard I would like the skid plates from it.

Aftermarket skid plates since you don't have the factory ones. I'll look at my stock skid plates if the weather improves today and let you know how sturdy they look. I have a Frontier Pro-forks with the off road goodies. My understanding is they're similar to the Xterra and real Pathfinder.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/17/18 6:07 p.m.

I feel like the only reason those trucks aren't goofy quick is because they're geared a bit tall. 

I love that motor.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
6/17/18 9:03 p.m.

I had no idea these got the 5.6 Titan Motor.  I have to believe they are animals with that powertrain.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
6/18/18 7:45 a.m.
Vigo said:

I feel like the only reason those trucks aren't goofy quick is because they're geared a bit tall. 

Tall gearing across the line. My Frontier with the "off road package" has 3.36 final drive gearing. It accelerates well actually at 7.3 to 60mph (Road and Track)

SuperTouring
SuperTouring New Reader
6/18/18 9:54 a.m.

Great choice! I spent 6 years working at Nissan and made a good part of my living working on these.  Of course, not very many 5.6 Pathfinders. But a lot of 4.0 Pathfinders/Xterra/Frontiers, and a lot of Titans and Armada's.  I really don't have much bad stuff to report to you.  The most common costly repair I saw was 4.0 secondary timing chain guides, and even that failure never caused a problem worse than a noise.  There has been problems with radiators failing and mixing trans fluid and coolant, ruining the transmission.  That was common with some early models...but I didn't even see many of those.

I would totally have one of these for a family car. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/27/18 7:57 a.m.

My eight year old daughter likes to clean wheels, so we did.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/27/18 7:58 a.m.

These were purchased on a father day sale, $280 shipped.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/27/18 7:59 a.m.

This is bad, rusty and no compression damping what so ever.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/27/18 8:02 a.m.

Ten minutes later this happened, the other side took a bit longer, required an air hammer.  Wow that really helped the keep the rear end in one lane, rides better too.

Also Pat got some fresh oil @ 122k miles.  After removing the whole skid plate I realized that there is a small access hole to get to the oil filter.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/23/18 10:16 a.m.

Stupid press in stud spun, I could have gone to work and grabbed a correct replacement, we make the NV strut mounts.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/23/18 10:17 a.m.

This happened instead.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/23/18 10:19 a.m.

And back in.

This truck has dual A arms front and rear.  The rear has a third link tha has the spring on it with adjustable toe.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
8/23/18 12:54 p.m.

had no idea these got the 5.6.

I suspect you cleaned and painted the frame and A arms....seeing how rusty that old shock was?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/23/18 5:31 p.m.

I shot some semigloss on the rear shock area but not the front...yet.  No cleaning involved, it was a mall crawler.

I’m having trouble finding out how many were made with the 5.6, 08-10 are the only years it was available.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/4/19 6:18 a.m.

10,000 mile update, currently at 130,333.  Two oil changes and I had to top off the washer fluid.   

Also ordered some front rotors from RA on clearance for $16 each.  The current rotors are not warped but have funny high spots on them.

I'm still loving this truck.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/18/19 5:07 a.m.

After adding fresh oil @ 132500 we drove this beast 2100 miles to Orange Beach Alabama and back.  Averaged 70 mph and 18 mpg, not that not may sound like much but you know what it takes to AVERAGE 70.

Shopping for tires now in a slightly taller 265-65-18 or would like to find some Titan Pro4X take offs.

Coincidence, I don't think so.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/8/19 6:06 a.m.

20k mile update.  Another oil change at 138500, needs a good interior cleaning and some leather conditioner.

It may have an exhaust leak after the drivers side manifold, this would be a good thing if it's not a cracked manifold.

Really enjoying how uneventful ownership of this has been so far.   

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/16/19 7:39 a.m.

I don't know why but I like to watch this happen.  

Tires, this will need tires soon.  265/65/18 are on it now, I'm thinking 265/70/18.

Looks like time to wipe the dash, a week at the cabin brings all the dust, and sand.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/6/19 10:00 a.m.
akylekoz said:

This happened instead.

Back when I replaced the shocks I had to cut and weld a stud on the strut mount.  I felt like a hack but didn't have time to get a new one.

Just so happens that we make these, same part goes on the NV2500.  I grabbed two for next time I have it apart.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
11/6/19 11:29 a.m.

Sweet ride. We have a 2012 V6, would have loved a V8, but they are few and far between. Even the V6 is no slouch, but it's a thirsty beast. I'm lucky to average 18 mpg on the highway, so from the fuel use perspective, there's no benefit to having the smaller engine.

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
11/7/19 2:16 a.m.

Didn't even know this was a thing.  Cool!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/7/19 8:55 a.m.
edwardh80 said:

Sweet ride. We have a 2012 V6, would have loved a V8, but they are few and far between. Even the V6 is no slouch, but it's a thirsty beast. I'm lucky to average 18 mpg on the highway, so from the fuel use perspective, there's no benefit to having the smaller engine.

I have never had a V6 anything get any better mileage than a V8 in the same size and weight vehicle.  It just doesn’t seem to happen.  I’m not even sure why the offer V6 when a V8 will still fit.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/8/19 7:38 a.m.

This truck is so fun, the VK56 is amazing.   My wife wants me to sell it and get an Armada or QX56, I'm not totally opposed, but this it the right size for what I need it for 99% of the time.

I tried showing a friend how quick it was while we were on a parts run.  Traction control off, round the corner, straighten it up then mat it, first one tire lets loose then at 20mph the nanny kicks in and adds brake to that wheel, not missing a beat the other just breaks loose.   Crazy unstoppable power in an ill handling truck.  I totally want one of the Infinity sedans with the VK50 or VK56 in it, even an FX50.

On the way back to finish up his Miata I told him the only way to feel the full potential of this motor is to engage auto 4WD but that seems abusive. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4tIGQAMqVXOej6igWj6RvsP7bK1nmYd6SCABNrzDjSRADDcc4J1KtvBFYosl0Kbr