1 2 3 4 5
Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/8/20 7:41 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Except their worth more than the car. 

I don't see the problem here. Buy SSR Formula Mesh, buy any number of beater-ass cars with 4x100 pattern, make them look awesome, throw away car, keep wheels. Profit?

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/8/20 8:12 a.m.

Snapped a couple more glamor shots last night. I really like the way they look. The offset is a little more aggresive than stock, and going from 45 to 50-series rubber makes it ride a little softer as well. I've heard mixed things about the Direzza's but after a little drive last night I'm pleased. They're quiet and grippy, though I think at 35 psi I could feel a little sidewall flex when pushing them so I might bump them up a bit. 

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
4/8/20 9:02 a.m.

Wow those wheels look dope!

FooBag (Forum Supporter)
FooBag (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/8/20 10:33 a.m.

Wow, those wheels look great on the car!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/8/20 12:46 p.m.

Thank you all so much, and thank's to GRM for putting this on the front page! It made my day, and you have a new have a new subscription incoming :) 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/8/20 3:41 p.m.

Good looking hatch!  And the Ronals just set it off!

Is the clue to finding these in the wild the fuel filler door?

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
4/8/20 5:31 p.m.

Was just looking at ads of these on fb yesterday and the GRM puts yours in the front page, coincidence? 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
4/8/20 6:31 p.m.

I've admired this for a long time.  Just something about the shape appeals to me.  It's on my short list when I pick up my next DD.

Excellent little car and you really can't go wrong with the Ronals.  Anything you haven't liked about the car that can't be fixed? 

-Rob

In reply to rob_lewis :

From my ownership: the fuel mileage isn't great for the size, though that may have had something to do with my driving style... The only problems I had with mine in ~100k of rough use were a locked up a/c compressor, front control arm bushings that were just about shot, and the CD player no longer ejected discs. 

Have I mentioned I had mine airborne a few times?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/8/20 8:49 p.m.
Gunchsta said:
Mndsm said:

Except their worth more than the car. 

I don't see the problem here. Buy SSR Formula Mesh, buy any number of beater-ass cars with 4x100 pattern, make them look awesome, throw away car, keep wheels. Profit?

First victim may well be the 400$ Corolla. No one would believe the wheels are real. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
4/9/20 12:47 a.m.

My brother has a run of the mill one of these with 160k. It's been very reliable and I have nothing bad to say about it. I like the car. I'm personally more of a Toyota Echo kind of guy just based on the lovable goofiness of the interior (my .02) but the thought has definitely crossed my mind to buy my brothers when he's finally done with it. That may only be when it REALLY breaks, so i figure that's what's saving me from another pointless purchase since it will probably never REALLY break. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/9/20 8:31 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

So far so good. I mentioned the seatbelt position earlier; it's cumbersome to reach when you first get into the car. The seats are fairly flat and not super supportive on longer drives, though they're perfectly fine around town. Those can be changed though, and the interior is black so finding a 'match' wouldn't be terrible. 

I can see people being turned away by it's unabashed economy. Most of the interior plastics are hard, the carpet is thin, the drivers seat has a fold down arm rest and the passenger seat doesn't. It has an LCD clock in the dashboard. It is simple with a capital S. I love the simplicity, but some might turn their noses down at it. 

Mechanically I've been impressed so far. It does have a random misfire (PO300/PO301/PO304, something like that) code that rears it's head occasionally though the car doesn't misfire. I've heard that there was a problem in the ECU's on some of these and the dealer can re-flash it. It hasn't bothered me enough to look into it. Oil changes are super easy, quick, and cheap because it only takes something like 3 quarts of oil. Timing belt/water pump job was pretty straight forward as well. I did end up putting a starter in it and that wasn't a particularly easy job. It's on the backside of the engine under the intake manifold, one of the bolts is kinda buried in the bellhousing. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever done, but it wasn't particularly easy, mostly due to bolt access more than anything. 

That being said, I've already bought 2 of these cars... I would buy a 3rd. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/9/20 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I've had stance kid dreams of a $400 corolla, slammed on eBay coil overs, and really cool wheels. I think you should do it so I don't have to.

Plus, if nobody believes the wheel are real they won't steal them. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/9/20 8:36 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

That and the 16" wheels I believe. I'd have to look into it further actually; I've seen a lot of these in the wild with the 16's, but I've yet to see another with the gas door. I don't know if that is just an option very few people chose, or if you could get the 16s on a non SE model. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/20 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

I'm pretty sure all non-SE versions had 15" steelies. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/9/20 11:44 a.m.

Does manual tranny automatically mean B&M shifter?   I remember when these came out with the B&M and it blew my mind. 

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ctd/d/romeoville-2009-hyundai-accent-stick/7102509015.html

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
4/9/20 12:12 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Does manual tranny automatically mean B&M shifter?   I remember when these came out with the B&M and it blew my mind. 

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ctd/d/romeoville-2009-hyundai-accent-stick/7102509015.html

I think B&M shifter is only on manual tranny SE models.  The one you posted looks like it has the SE rims, but not sure what else signifies an SE.

Can't wait for the shelter in home gets lifted so I can begin shopping for these.  I've been looking for my next DD, kinda pre-prepping for when ready to go and this post has made me just decide on the Accent.

-Rob

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/20 12:24 p.m.

I never thought I would find a Hyundai Accent so awesome. I also never knew about the "SE" package. Maybe these are more like the CRX of the modern era?

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/9/20 1:36 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Thank you sir, I appreciate the compliment! The CRX comparison is apropos as well, although I think even the early CRX's had more sophisticated suspension than this car with it's beam axle.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
4/9/20 1:47 p.m.

I've always liked these cars, glad to see one on here!  Simple econo cars are one of my favorite things (my first car was a Civic sedan, I've owned a base model 2000 Sentra, and a twin cam 2000 Suzuki Esteem), and yours is looking awesome!  The lowering and springs and the Ronals are A+. I haven't been on this forum much in a LONG time, but I think I'll follow along with this one!

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/10/20 7:08 a.m.

Damn those Ronal's suit it perfectly. You keep mentioning light weight. How much does it weigh?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/10/20 7:14 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I pulled the online brochure and the weight is just under 2500#?

Also the 2009 I posted for sale does have the B&M shifter.

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Hyundai/Accent/Hyundai_US%20Accent_2009.pdf

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/10/20 7:43 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4 :

Thank you! I've developed a love for simple econobombs as well. I'm glad this has enticed you to come back, I'm sure some of the other build threads will keep you entertained much more than mine! 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/10/20 7:46 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I pulled the online brochure and the weight is just under 2500#?

Also the 2009 I posted for sale does have the B&M shifter.

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Hyundai/Accent/Hyundai_US%20Accent_2009.pdf

These were the heavy ones. The second gen cars were in the 2200-2300lb range 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/10/20 7:46 a.m.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if they would look too "vintage" for the car. As for weight the googles say right around 2,500lbs. Further googling tells me it's heavier than a Yaris, and about on par with the Fit of that vintage. So, not terribly lightweight compared to it's counter parts I guess.  

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cbj8uGQgx8xbsXfLwFuOLxmlMaGhtJJz90gShMAxxfrAvdevXQX24xhlmfCrrU2p