1 2 3 4 5
Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
4/28/20 8:07 a.m.

Pumped the tires up to 38 psi and am happy with the results. Snapped this picture from the mountain bike trails on Saturday morning and I thought I'd share. 

And yes-  that fat bike does fit in the hatch with the front wheel off and the seats folded down. :) 

I have one of the scan-gauge devices I would like to mount on top of the steering column somewhere to monitor some extra data, but I haven't quite devised a mounting plan yet. Further (read: any) investigation is needed. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/17/20 8:23 p.m.

Major league excitement here folks; I cleaned the shift knob.

Before. Scuzzy. actually pretty gross and I noticed it every time I drove it.

After, mucho cleaner. Rubbing alcohol, q-tip, and a toothpick. Took all of 60 seconds but I bet next time I hop in it I'll be stoked.

For a 2009 this car feels pretty analog, and I really like that. I've been driving a 2014-ish Silverado for work and Hopping in the Accent on Friday night and winging gears feels pretty cool. With the silencers out of the intake it makes wonderful noises, and with the Direzza's there is more grip than power, so it's basically flat out everywhere.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/20 9:47 p.m.
Gunchsta said:
With the silencers out of the intake it makes wonderful noises, and with the Direzza's there is more grip than power, so it's basically flat out everywhere.

Isn't it glorious to be able to beat on a car so mercilessly without even a whimper, while rarely having to worry about violating any laws? 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/18/20 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

It's hilarious. You can use the car pretty much to it's full potential anytime you're in it! How I don't envy those with REAL sports cars that they have to hold back lest they risk losing their license. :) 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/20 9:05 a.m.
Gunchsta said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

It's hilarious. You can use the car pretty much to it's full potential anytime you're in it! How I don't envy those with REAL sports cars that they have to hold back lest they risk losing their license. :) 

My korean hot hatch just blows the tires off below 60f. Especially in first gear.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/12/20 4:50 p.m.

Saw this today, local guy, looks like he's 14. 

Reminded me of this thread, thought it should be posted

6/12/20 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

That's sexy!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/12/20 7:45 p.m.

I keep forgetting about these things. I need to buy one. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/13/20 8:35 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I keep forgetting about these things. I need to buy one. 

Yes. Yes you do. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/13/20 10:46 a.m.

Other than the shifter and the wheels (which wouldn't be on it long) is there any performance difference from the SE and a gl/gls? I found one sec way the berkeley out in Melbourne at some E36 M3ty lot, but that's far and I'm lazy. 

6/13/20 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Possibly more electronics/gadgetry inside and/or a better stereo, but mechanically there's no difference besides the shifter & wheels. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/14/20 5:19 p.m.

Cool. I might skip the SE and save few bucks. Though, I was given dirty looks when I proposed the flower car 914 is selling, so....

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
6/16/20 7:31 a.m.

I don't see the need to find an SE either. If you can still find the B&M shifter I would recommend it as it feels great. 

Beyond that this hasn't been getting driven much; I did take it out for a bit on Sunday night and actually noticed my cleaned up shift knob cheeky

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/16/20 8:01 a.m.

I've read all of this thread several times, and just saw the MN plates. I'm double impressed- that should be rusty as E36 M3 right now. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/20 8:03 a.m.

The longer this thread goes, this might be my next beater. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/16/20 8:28 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm pretty convinced this is the way. It's cheap, it handles good, it's ancient tech so it's simple as berkeley, and it's...it's a base model Hyundai. Even crackheads won't berkeley with them. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/16/20 11:30 a.m.

Same; i've got a 2011 Subaru Legacy with the CVT and it's both Too much car for me, and simultaneously not enough.

Hey Gunchsta, Bobzilla- what are all the "good" mods that can be done to these? Bob mentioned other engines that bolt to the existing trans, what else is there? And how do they measure against other cheap hatches around today like the Echo/Yaris?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/16/20 11:39 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Same; i've got a 2011 Subaru Legacy with the CVT and it's both Too much car for me, and simultaneously not enough.

Hey Gunchsta, Bobzilla- what are all the "good" mods that can be done to these? Bob mentioned other engines that bolt to the existing trans, what else is there?

I'm sure Bob will chime in, but if I know anything about cheap hyundais, it's that nearly everything on them is...licensed from something else. The older engines as an example, have been Mitsubishi based for a VERY long time- I want to say there's a sonata out there with what is effectively a 4g63 in it. We all know what those do. I know in the case of the Excel (This was a long time ago when I was looking) the rear suspension is lifted from old Toyota. Basically, they made their bones adapting old tech from other manufacturers. Even when Kia was released- the first gen Sorrento? (I think it was the sorrento. Whatever SUV they came out with) the motor was effectively an Fe3 from Mazda.....which is one of the sneakiest motors out there. 

That's one of the reasons I like stuff like this. Total epic junkyard engineering, and even with a cheap eBay turbo and MAYBE making 200hp, it'd be a riot. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
8/10/20 8:52 a.m.

Well, if any of you have followed any of my other build threads, you know I sell cars a lot. 

This one is no exception. Yesterday my Dad bought it from me. He seems really excited about it, which is surprising to me because he's a pretty die-hard American rear-wheel-drive car guy. So, down the road this one goes! 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/10/20 9:01 a.m.
Mndsm said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Hey Gunchsta, Bobzilla- what are all the "good" mods that can be done to these? Bob mentioned other engines that bolt to the existing trans, what else is there?

I'm sure Bob will chime in, but if I know anything about cheap hyundais, it's that nearly everything on them is...licensed from something else. The older engines as an example, have been Mitsubishi based for a VERY long time- I want to say there's a sonata out there with what is effectively a 4g63 in it. We all know what those do. I know in the case of the Excel (This was a long time ago when I was looking) the rear suspension is lifted from old Toyota. Basically, they made their bones adapting old tech from other manufacturers. Even when Kia was released- the first gen Sorrento? (I think it was the sorrento. Whatever SUV they came out with) the motor was effectively an Fe3 from Mazda.....which is one of the sneakiest motors out there. 

That's one of the reasons I like stuff like this. Total epic junkyard engineering, and even with a cheap eBay turbo and MAYBE making 200hp, it'd be a riot. 

That was all true up through about 1997. The old sonatas were 4G variants. the Excel was similar to the Mitsu something or another. The early Kia's (again up through about 1999 with a few exceptions) were Mazda engineering. Keep in mind, Ford had the Fiesta built by Kia for the US with Mazda designes. 

By 2000, Hyundai bought up controlling interest in Kia and they had been building their own drivetrains for a while. The Alpha came along in 95, the Beta in 97. The delta was around 98 in 2.5L form. By 2002 everything was hyundai designed and built. Kia started using Hyundai drivetrains and platforms by 2003 and they've been in bed since. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/10/20 9:01 a.m.
Gunchsta said:

Well, if any of you have followed any of my other build threads, you know I sell cars a lot. 

This one is no exception. Yesterday my Dad bought it from me. He seems really excited about it, which is surprising to me because he's a pretty die-hard American rear-wheel-drive car guy. So, down the road this one goes! 

also this makes me sad, but at least your dad is getting something cool.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
8/10/20 9:18 a.m.

Did you give him the ronals too? 

Sincerely,

A fellow accent owner that wants ronals

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
8/10/20 9:34 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I was kinda sad to see it go, but I bought some huge vintage American iron so it was time for the Hyundai to go. My dad and I are really close so it's still accessible if for some reason I have a burning desire to drive it. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
8/10/20 9:35 a.m.

In reply to ebelements :

I did give him the Ronals, under the stipulation that if he sells the car I get them back. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
2/26/21 3:40 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Gunchsta :

"Back in the day" they usually ran a piggy back for these as no one has the codes to crack the ECU's stateside. Someone finally did but these are all old enough that it's gotten impossible to find anyone still doing it. So yeah, turbo will likely involve standalone at this point. 

Also, upgrade your battery cables. No, not those stupid grounding kit. The actual positive and negative cables with something 4ga. Makes a HUGE difference when the ac kicks on and bulb life. Factory stuff was barely adequate in 2008. 12 years later it's terrible. This actually goes for just about every Hy/Kia from 2002-10. Ground cable is short (usually 12-18") and the factory is tiny. Positive usually has some stupid design that sucks and its too small. 

Revisiting this comment... My dad still has the car and has been having some odd starting issues that I also previously encountered. I'll try to document them if anybody else runs into the same thing. 

Starter will spin but it's like the solenoid doesn't kick so it never engages the flywheel. Did this to me a handful of times, would usually work fine next turn of the key. Finally it got to where it didn't start, I threw a battery and a starter at it and it worked fine for about a year. Now we're back to the same issue, it spun a bunch for my dad last night and finally caught and cranked the engine, same thing happened today. Spun and spun, starter sounds like it's moving but not contacting the flywheel and actually turning the engine over. 

Going to try adding some grounds and potentially replacing the cables per Bob's advice above. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KnKFB8rli8ZR1HOO3wyOUHHwxj3r6jTVORs9ZTqIF2FHHWEN7RphHKnwK30B8KbI