1 2 3 4 ... 8
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
10/7/10 11:01 a.m.

where did you find the cheap ebay steering wheel? I love it!

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
10/7/10 11:17 a.m.

i think i looked up something like 'dish steering wheel' and looked for the cheapest one possible that didnt look retarded. i missed some cool ones a couple times but snagged this on a BIN for around $22 shipped.

my steering wheel adapter even has some Porsche 914-6 decklid steel in it. i used some scrap steel from one and coiled it to make the cylinder portion of the adapter

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/7/10 11:27 a.m.

that is currently the cleanest 4 liter in an XJ in existence...probably looks better than it did new now that its been tucked! That is a seriously awesome build and I tip my hat to you guys...very very inspiring!

miatame
miatame Reader
10/7/10 11:31 a.m.

The funny part of that it that the only paint we used on the engine was a dusting of black on the fuel rail. The rest was just cleaned with de-greaser from Costco (AWESOME STUFF) and a power washer and/or nylon brush.

I think the oil spewing from the valve cover for so many years kept everything unrusty

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/7/10 11:58 a.m.

seriously...you could eat off it

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/7/10 2:43 p.m.

Mad props! Ive always wanted to do something along these same lines, and to see how awesome it actually is is very affirming!

And to think.. Ive had 3 cherokees that i passed on because i didnt think they were right.. 2 4.0/auto 2wd 4drs and a 4.0/auto 4wd 4dr.

I thought i wanted a stick but after driving them now ive honestly changed my mind.. i like the autos better. So now i just wish id kept one and done it.

Very surprisingly, and likely the first time ever on a Cherokee, Alan McCrispin described them as 'awesome'... I’m thinking the tire diameter/weight advantage over stock was the largest factor.

Yeh, that got a laugh from me when i read it in the other thread... brakes have never been the cherokee's strong point..

Anyway good damn job and bring it back in '11!!

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/7/10 2:47 p.m.

I've shared this around a few of the other sites I frequent, and they've all said the same thing. EPIC.

miatame
miatame Reader
10/7/10 3:16 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: seriously...you could eat off it

The old girl does photograph well huh? We'll have to give credit to SilverFleet for taking a sick picture. I'm not sure I would eat off it but it sure is cleaner than my '99 XJ with half as many miles.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
10/7/10 3:21 p.m.

^^^ Thanks!

That thing is SOOOO clean under there now, and having crawled all over that thing, I can tell you that it is the original engine. I saw it when Dave first brought it home, and it was a greaseball under there, but everything is original.

Pseudosport
Pseudosport Reader
10/7/10 5:07 p.m.

Hopefully in the next few weeks when I have time I’ll try to put together a write up on “How to MegaSquirt your Cherokee” with some wiring diagrams and parts needed. So far 91-93 have it easy since they just have to swap the shutter wheel inside the distributor. 94-95 used a different distributor but the connector is the same as the early ones. Shutter wheel is from an early 90’s ford Taurus with a 3.0L V6. I just need to confirm I have all my data correct and that its easy enought to retain the transmission shift computer without hacking up your harness. This will be very handy for people who have also installed 4.6 or 4.7L strokers but don’t have any good way to tune them since they are limited by the factory computer.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
10/7/10 7:00 p.m.

Man that thing is just awesome...Great job, wait to think out of the box, you really pulled it off..

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/7/10 7:49 p.m.

Cool ride! And they laughed at me when I suggested a slammed, tight, slicked Geo Tracker.

Nice job guys.

Dan

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
10/7/10 7:58 p.m.

2wd cherokee 5 speed+ crd motor from Liberty=drool..

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
10/7/10 8:09 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Cool ride! And they laughed at me when I suggested a slammed, tight, slicked Geo Tracker. Nice job guys. Dan

haha i love that idea! it's already box flared for you

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/7/10 8:31 p.m.
WilberM3 wrote:
914Driver wrote: Cool ride! And they laughed at me when I suggested a slammed, tight, slicked Geo Tracker. Nice job guys. Dan
haha i love that idea! it's already box flared for you

So we'll be reading about you in a Tracker next year?

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 New Reader
10/8/10 8:04 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Awesome and unexpected. There's a guy who races an 86 Blazer with us up here and it's a monstrosity; I see this going in the same direction

I don't know where you are, but if you are talking about Butch King, that thing isn't much a Blazer anymore.

Nice work guys, hope to see it in person next year at the challenge.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/8/10 8:43 a.m.

I wish I had more time to take pictures, but I found one good one of the amc sportwagon:

again, nice work!

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
10/8/10 9:49 a.m.
camaroz1985 wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: Awesome and unexpected. There's a guy who races an 86 Blazer with us up here and it's a monstrosity; I see this going in the same direction
I don't know where you are, but if you are talking about Butch King, that thing isn't much a Blazer anymore. Nice work guys, hope to see it in person next year at the challenge.

i got to check that thing out at Ascutney but i didnt get a good look at the rear suspension. any idea whats going on back there?

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
10/8/10 3:18 p.m.

Great build, kudos to you guys for the originality. To think we dumped the wife's Cherokee BECAUSE it was a 2WD!!! Had I seen this first it might have been a different story.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/8/10 3:49 p.m.

if you had to guess, how much do you think starting with an AWD would add to the weight you are at with similar prep?

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/8/10 3:52 p.m.

Probably 150lbs.

Difference being transfercase, front driveshaft, front axle with diff, axleshafts, u joints etc in it.

But keep in mind they would not have been able to lower the front as much because the diff would have hit something, and you cant section out or cut and bend the front axle.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
10/8/10 4:07 p.m.

Any more details on the megasquirt? I have a Renix XJ that I'm planning on 'squirting and any information I can gather is great.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
10/8/10 4:33 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Imagine how cool it would be if it was right hand drive! (Not that this is not cool the way it is)

Hmm... RHD has me wondering if the turbo install could be cleaner/easier if the MC and steering were out of the way...

Awesome build. Inspiring is a good word for it.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/8/10 4:54 p.m.
Hmm... RHD has me wondering if the turbo install could be cleaner/easier if the MC and steering were out of the way...

Most people dont bother with modifying the exhaust manifold and just run the exhaust under and up the other side of the motor where there is a whole lot of nothing but room. Right about where the overflow reservoir is in the pics above.

This also gives you the amazing ability to run an air filter.. no offense..

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
10/8/10 5:56 p.m.

to be fair most of the turbo 4.0L jeeps ive seen that put them on the passenger side are wranglers and theres a LOT more room on the passenger side between the pan/starter area and the body/frame. we looked at that as an option but if you want to run both an exhaust tube up and back down to exit normally it looks like you'd likely have to take a big chunk out of the floor for space.

dont you worry, an air filter setup is in her future

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n9JWWJQhM4wZD7cirscYRz4UHZUsZSHp8DdO1LvCR0ldd7IJtJCm6q2VIUOVNB9q