1 2 3 ... 5
RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/27/12 10:07 p.m.

Does that about cover it? I was thinking "Found On Road Dead" instead of Ferd, but that's too long to fit in the title. Or Mushtang, but the Mush part is about to go bye-bye.

Anyways, this is a 2013 Ford Mustang V-6 base model. The only options are the Recaro bucket seats and the Performance Package. It is my daily driver.

So far the only installed mods are a drill-less front license plate bracket and a JLT oil seperator:

Immediate plans are to fix the floaty suspension and give the car a moderate 1.5" drop in the process. To accomplish this I already have a set of Koni Yellow struts/shocks and a Whiteline adjustable Panhard rod and brace. I have a line on some used Steeda Ultralite springs. I will also get some Maximum Motorsports camber/caster plates. [The Most Interesting Man In The World] I don't always lower my car, but when I do, I correct my camber. [/TMIMITW]

I also plan on installing an intake and catback exhaust (still debating which ones I want), Stoptech stainless steel brake lines, a lightweight aluminum driveshaft (we've all seen that infamous YouTube video...), and Whiteline adjustable swaybars. Those big, heavy 19s might be replaced by 18" Enkei NT03+M or TSW Nurburgring wheels with tires sticky enough to match the stock Pirellis. I plan to space out those mods better than I did with my Mazdaspeed3, so I don't bore myself or stretch my wallet too far.

My pie-in-the-sky, maybe-when-the-warranty-period-expires wishlist includes a Boss 302 rear seat delete, OS Giken adjustable LSD and Moser 31-spline axles, Fays2 Watt's Link, Brembo GT front brake conversion, and forced induction. Procharger already makes a centrifugal supercharger kit for the new 3.7Ls but I'd like to see someone jump in with a positive displacement blower or a turbocharger.

Anywho, that's about it.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/27/12 10:13 p.m.

I really like the seats

Whats it like to live with this thing everyday?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/27/12 10:51 p.m.

The Recaros are awesome!

Let's see... it's big, comfortable, easy-to-drive, handles surprisingly well for a 3500lb Yank-tank, and it gets OK gas mileage (25-26mpg in 70% highway/30% city driving. Not much better than my old MS3 but at least it doesn't need premium). It's not as torquey as you would expect, so a little wringing out is needed to get the most out the the new sixxer, but it's still damn quick.

I don't like the midlife crisis-approved waterbed ride or 4x4 stance. I grew up with imports and I still own a turbo-swapped FC. I like my suspension low 'n crunchy! Don't worry, I'm not going hellaFAIL, but something must be done to eliminate the feeling that I'm wafting on a cloud.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/12 12:53 a.m.

The more I see of these new Mustangs, the more I like them.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/29/12 11:23 a.m.

Nice choice and welcome to the late model Mustang owners club!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/12 8:00 p.m.

Go run D-Stock!

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/29/12 8:16 p.m.

That is the exact 2013 V6 I built one day while dreaming... even down to the same color! I rented a 2013 vert a few weeks ago. It was Grabber Blue and slushbox though... It felt mushy to me. The V6 has decent grunt and has a pretty good exhaust note. The car also felt big to me. Big in size and in heft. Not bad but I'm sure the 6 speed and shorter rear end makes a big difference...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/29/12 10:11 p.m.

OK, I give. What the heck is an oil separator?

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
7/30/12 7:54 a.m.

Awesome car. You checked off all the right boxes I think. I would've gotten a car with Sync but you saved a lot of money probably. Did you factory order this car or was it dealer stock? We have yet to get a Perf. Pkg. car at the dealership I work for. If you're ever looking to get rid of the shifter stick with the Ferd Moterspert piece. Everything else is junk.

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
7/30/12 7:59 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: OK, I give. What the heck is an oil separator?

Goes between PCV and intake tube. Keeps oil out of the intake charge.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/30/12 8:25 a.m.

"base model". It has over 300HP and a backseat, is RWD and has a stick. That's better than the top of the line models of almost every sports car from the 80's, Ferrari included. OK, it's big brother has 660+ HP, but still, base isn't very base anymore.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/30/12 8:50 a.m.
red5_02 wrote:

Then a follow up question- why do you need another separator?

I'm pretty sure that the engine is consuming less than a quart/10k miles....

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/30/12 8:51 a.m.
RexSeven wrote:

Listened to a salesman talk about how the engine would fall out without that upper brace....

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
7/30/12 9:06 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Pssh...tell him that's a "horsepower" brace. That engine's so powerful, it won't stay in the car unless it's secured by that bar.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Reader
7/30/12 9:07 a.m.

not trying to troll... but honest question. While the V6 is a great car at the price point and most all of your planned mods are a welcome addition to almost any car, if you are planning "Brembo GT front brake conversion, and forced induction. Procharger...or a turbocharger" why not start with a 5.0 GT?

It seems like by the time you upgrade driveshaft, buy a blower kit, and add the Brembo GT stuff, you're likely not any cost ahead.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/30/12 9:08 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote: In reply to N Sperlo: Pssh...tell him that's a "horsepower" brace. That engine's so powerful, it won't stay in the car unless it's secured by that bar.

Just like the strap that top fuel cars have to hold down the blower when it explodes.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/30/12 9:10 a.m.

Its a salesman crutch. When he forgets the real stuff he leans on that. Makes something up. "durrrr... Uhhh. Its so fast the engine will drop out without this."

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
7/30/12 9:13 a.m.

Love the taillights they are putting on those now, they look awesome at night.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/30/12 9:27 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Then a follow up question- why do you need another separator? I'm pretty sure that the engine is consuming less than a quart/10k miles....

Indeed. I guess that's why I never heard of it.

Anyhow, beautiful car. I've driven Adrian's, it's a hell of a nice ride, and it would blow the doors off my 95 GT. And personally, I'd leave the suspension alone, but I'm old.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/30/12 9:39 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Listened to a salesman talk about how the engine would fall out without that upper brace....

sounds to me like you were listening to an asshat posing as a salesman.

huuurrrrr You're gonna want that Tru-Coat duurrrrr

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
7/30/12 9:57 a.m.

They are great cars, the only issue I have with mine is that the V6 is soft off the line up until about 15mph, I assume that's easy to overcome with a stick, mine is the Bob Costas edition V6 auto vert as my wifes DD comve sensible family hauler.

I'm with Xflwgolf though, while I think the V6 is a great car in it's own right, if your going to do all those performance mods, I'm sure it would have been better to start with a 5.0GT.

We get 22/23 in my wifes normal 95% city driving. Going to Toronto a couple of weeks ago we got 27.7 inc for the whole trup inc the city portion and being stuck in traffic for a time. That was crusing 75-80 (we were in Canuk so had to keep the speed down so that helped), but with the top down all the time.

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
7/30/12 3:15 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
red5_02 wrote:
Then a follow up question- why do you need another separator? I'm pretty sure that the engine is consuming less than a quart/10k miles....

Beats me. I had to google it lol.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
7/30/12 4:42 p.m.
stanger_missle wrote: That is the exact 2013 V6 I built one day while dreaming...

I did the same thing. It's an amazing value for $24K.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/30/12 4:47 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
red5_02 wrote:
Then a follow up question- why do you need another separator? I'm pretty sure that the engine is consuming less than a quart/10k miles....

Not another. They don't come with one.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
7/30/12 5:00 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Not another. They don't come with one.

You mean "another external", since there's one that's built into the valve cover, of course.

Again, they pretty much have to exceed 10k/qt, or they will not meet some rather important requirements.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TRZRWB2fTm2hFqksOt2FSksfNYCF1nYysP0ooFqbF9DL1lXSnYGrQF1DN7nxoA6i