1 2
WildMan
WildMan New Reader
12/18/14 10:50 p.m.

Looks like we will be tossing our hat in to the $2015 build off arena. We are building/hoping this all works, 1986 vw scirocco GTI for my 16 year old to compete in the $2015 challenge. We are stating with a 86 vw scirocco GTI we found for $250.00. The story is that the car was parked 8 years ago after the owner went to jail and has not been run since. Needless to say time has not been friendly to the interior and we are hoping to get the motor going. We are following some advise from a friend with several steps to (hopefully) bringing it back to life. With the interior in such bad shape we have decided to gut it and have plans to go back in with racing seats, roll cage and custom dash. With lots of luck we are looking forward to seeing you all next Oct. I'm more then sure as this project moves along we will have a lot of questions.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
12/18/14 11:11 p.m.

That looks like the 16v motor. I lusted for that when I was 17. I had an 84 8v.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
12/18/14 11:52 p.m.

Nice! As a fellow Scirocco owner it's always nice to see another one being saved.

Please, please, please change the timing belt before you try to light the thing off.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
12/19/14 2:10 a.m.

That looks like Bosch K-Jet. if it is, your fuel distributor will be gummed up. Not might be, will be.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
12/19/14 7:30 a.m.

Looks like it has great bones for a build. I see no rust and most of the sins look to be relating to sitting still for years. Dig into all the good resources here as well as the Vortex. There are a ton of MKI and 16v related forums there to help you out.

First important question: What power plant to use? I have a line on a really rowdy G60 setup for cheap? You might be able to sell the MKI 16v setup and recoop almost the same money?

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/19/14 7:40 a.m.

Nice find! Get a Bentley Service manual stat (Haynes will work but Bentley is more comprehensive). Also check out this forum for K Jet troubleshooting and tuning (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1146050-gt-gt-E21-FAQs-and-DIYs-lt-lt&p=15904137#post15904137). I first used it when I had an E21, then referred to it often with my 87 Golf. VWvortex also has a good KJet (CIS) section, as well as a decent Scirocco section - like most fanboi forums, it can be a bit harsh, but good info is in there. Vacuum leaks are the biggest headache with Bosch injected engines. Just about any engine swap you can imagine has been done, if you choose to go that route, or adapting the current lump to accept EFI or carbs has also been done. Good luck, I've wanted once for a long time and at that price, it would have been hard to pass by.

vwfreek
vwfreek New Reader
12/19/14 9:38 a.m.

Great car! My 4th car, when I was a senior in high school, was a 1984 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition. Out of all my cars, I probably miss that one the most.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/19/14 10:02 a.m.
vwfreek wrote: Great car! My 4th car, when I was a senior in high school, was a 1984 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition. Out of all my cars, I probably miss that one the most.

When I was a senior in HS I had a 93 Fox Wolfsburg. I feel the same way about missing it the most... weird.

WildMan
WildMan New Reader
12/19/14 10:21 a.m.

Thanks for the info, all. we will be using this forums for all the help we can.

84FSP wrote: First important question: What power plant to use? I have a line on a really rowdy G60 setup for cheap? You might be able to sell the MKI 16v setup and recoop almost the same money?

What kind of price for the G60

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/19/14 2:17 p.m.

Cool car - you don't see many of the 16V ones.

Here is a pic of a buddy's 82 that we are (re)prepping to run in next year's Rally-X season. It is a fully prepped rally car that he has not ran in a few years:

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/19/14 4:55 p.m.

I love it that so many people here had Sciroccos in high school; and here WildMan's son has one too. The first modified car I remember riding in was my dad's co-worker's Mk1 Scirocco, which seemed ridiculously fast to me when I was about 10 and we had tire smoke coming in the windows on the way to lunch. A buddy of mine in high school had a pretty clapped out Mk1 that my 1st gen Accord could outrun.

Out of curiosity, since it sounds like we'll all be learning about it in this thread, how big of an ordeal is it to flush a CIS system?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
12/19/14 5:04 p.m.

If you decide to change the steering wheel, I may want it.

And enjoy the time with your son. My best memories are working with my dad on my first car.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/20/14 10:54 a.m.

i would make exterior cosmetic changes a priority, depending on why the PO is in jail and when he's getting out, LOL.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/20/14 3:49 p.m.

Also had a Rocco in High School. '84 8v, red with the sport seats and alloys. Sure seemed fast, and was definitely the first car I had that had any sporting pretensions. I've always wanted a Mk 1.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
12/20/14 4:51 p.m.

Cool Dad!

In 1987 I took my wife to the home coming dance in my '78 Scirocco Champagne Edition. Was a full moon...

WildMan
WildMan New Reader
12/20/14 9:52 p.m.

When we got the car it did not have the Fuel Injectors in it. Not wanting to buy new fuel injectors for now , until we know if the engine is good. Does any one have a used set for a good price or know what other car we might be able to pull out of a junkyard donor?

Thanks

WildMan
WildMan New Reader
12/20/14 10:26 p.m.

Also the next question. When we are done this car will never see the road. We will have insurance on it but does it need to registered and have a licence plate on it for this challenge and for any future events at local solo races here in Alabama?

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
12/21/14 7:41 p.m.

Doesn't need a tag for the Challenge but it also doesn't count against your budget if you decide to tag it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/14 8:12 p.m.

The rarest Sciroccos have a battery tie strap that can be used as an ordinary bungee cord.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/14 8:51 p.m.

Good luck and have fun. You can get the Bentley Manuals on CD-rom. Highly suggested. I had an 87 16v in the same color. Still have some cosmetics, a windshield, rear qtr glass and seals. Dump those heavy useless bumpers. BTW, that's not a GTI. Someone stuck a Golf/GTi badge on that car. It wasn't the factory.

WildMan
WildMan New Reader
12/22/14 12:58 a.m.
vwcorvette wrote: BTW, that's not a GTI. Someone stuck a Golf/GTi badge on that car. It wasn't the factory.

This made me do some looking, Looks Like it's a GTX, but not 100% sure, car was built 10/87, vin number shows it as a 87. It was to dark for me to find the engine number. Also found out that around that time the 160 mph spedo was replaced with a 140 spedo. Which this one has. Going buy this it most likely has the 40 intake instead of the 50mm intake. Need to find one of you that lives in North Al. or South Tenn. and knows these cars to give me a shout. May have to pay your gas to come take a look and point us in the right direction.

WildMan
WildMan New Reader
12/22/14 1:07 a.m.
vwcorvette wrote: You can get the Bentley Manuals on CD-rom. Highly suggested.

Anyone out there have one at a much better deal then Amazon?

Also looking for a used set of Fuel injectors, A new set will be a big hit on build costs, or does anyone know what other cars I can hunt down in a junk yard that would have injectors that would work?

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/22/14 10:20 a.m.

I found my Bentley on eBay, they do pop up from time to time. VwVortex is a good used part resource (manuals too). Any 16v VW with CIS should work. Although they all look the same, I'm not sure all CIS injectors are the same though I used VW injection lines on my E21 BMW. A variety of European cars from the early to mid 80s used Bosche injection.

In RE to XLR99: I know of a company that cleans and tests the injectors, and there is another one that claims to rebuild the unserviceable fuel distributor, but the system requires close to 100psi to operate so flushing would mean a whole lot of pressure on parts sealed with o-rings.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/14 6:27 p.m.

Check www.germanautoparts.com for parts. They often have interesting things on clearance. I don't think I have injectors for the 16v anymore. You should check the injector seats as well. You will want new seals for the injectors too.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/14 8:07 p.m.

Cool car! It is just a Scirocco 16V, not GTI or GTX. Also the 50mm manifold only came in the European 16V cars if I remember correctly.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
giJVmtX8PBovBhuxHb4mXI4yUkVsgnhwePftdfXohckVNrJgKOurW1DQ5I8fjRHQ