1 2 3
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/9/17 3:18 p.m.

I'm not build thread my challenge car guy until stuff is close to complete.

A: I don't like to tip my hand early

B: I generally have a grasp on things

I have no grasp on anything right now. 3 weeks ago I got screwed over on the non existent Chevelle which ended up taking about $300 out of my pocket and cost me 2 off days with my kids which is priceless. Last Sunday we had a very close family friend pass away suddenly and out of the blue, and I've been fighting depression this whole time, quietly, and losing. It's destroyed me mentally and I've been struggling to force myself to even eat enough to not be sick from lack of food.

I need to post this stuff for me, it's almost a build thread of the car and my psyche at the same time. If anyone follows along, cool. If not, I'll keep updating things to keep me moving.

$2017 challenge hopeful 1999 Corvette. From the files of "I'm pimpm3 and I can turn a profit on a parts car" Jeremy comes the start of what I hope to be a solid contender for a top 5 finish. I've come in 11th and 8th the last 2 years, top 5 is the only logical progression.

We had to cut the front frame off to squeeze on the trailer, but i made clean cuts and will weld back whatever is needed. It was an extremely tight squeeze. I was going to Stampie's to get the s10 anyway and didn't want to make a pair of 1800 mile trips so when we made the vette deal I added 40" to the trailer to give a 21'4" deck.

The car is in the garage, which means I must finish cleaning around it now. Traded Jeremy my 1971 International Travelall for the remainder of the Corvette and $550. Major missing components: engine, wheels, body(duh), steering rack, 1 control arm, seats

Challenge Budget sheet:

Outlay:

Car: $350($900 international-$550)

Bellhousing: $28(ebay)

Control arm $35(Corvette forum)

Pair ebay "racing" seats with sliders $50

Remaining $1554

Recoup: $550(international Corvette trade difference)

Remaining: $458.50

Soooo if anyone has a super cheap c5 steering rack and some super cheap 17x9.5 Corvette wheels I'm all ears.

The hope is to fully function as a c5 Corvette as everything to do that is there. Dash, wiring, fuse panels, bcm, transaxle, suspension intact. Brake system is all intact less the ABS pump which can be plumbed out of the system with a few flares and a couple tees. Fuel system intact as well.

I have 2 donor vehicles to choose from currently, 1999 4.8 silverado and 2007 6.0 express van. I could get the van down to $550 with the recoup maxed out or the truck to $100, but it'll be harder to find money in the truck. Van has a great 4l80e and 14 bolt rear axle that'll get me to the $1008.50 recoup limit right quick.

Then we figure out body after it is driving. I can't tell you guys everything but a body has been sourced, you're going to have to wait for October for that reveal

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/9/17 3:33 p.m.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/9/17 3:43 p.m.

I'm confused...is the S10 not going on the C5 chassis? Sounds like you're headed straight to #1 in the Pickup Class!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/9/17 3:45 p.m.

Well, now I understand why you immediately put the S10 up for sale . First C5 in the challenge is pretty impressive, no matter what it ends up looking like.

patgizz
2/9/17 3:50 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote: I'm confused...is the S10 not going on the C5 chassis? Sounds like you're headed straight to #1 in the Pickup Class!

I tried to make it work, but the measurements just aren't working. There is too much vette in front of the seats. Plus the s10 would cramp the budget more, at $350 or whatever i paid for it, I really need a sub $200 body to make this happen. Either that, or i take the free pile of scrap behind the garage and build Geoff.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/9/17 3:51 p.m.

I think I am the official GRM car supplier...

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/9/17 3:52 p.m.

Not that you want to make another trip south but I have a cheap (like $100) rusty dodge dart body.

patgizz
2/9/17 3:57 p.m.

The yellow one?

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/17 4:05 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Not that you want to make another trip south but I have a cheap (like $100) rusty dodge dart body.

Lawn Darts stays on the lawns

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
2/9/17 4:23 p.m.

Is it ok to say I'm sorry for the sad event that took place in your life?

I had my emotions get the best of me recently over the not-so-recent passing of two loved ones and though not the same (I'm guessing) I'm hoping you stay strong.

And I can't wait for the progesss posts you have coming. You AND the 'Vette!

patgizz
2/9/17 5:37 p.m.

Thank you gentlemen

JMfnB dictates i use the 6.0 van since he wants the 4.8 truck as an rx8 donor, so LQ4 it is! If not challenge build i would do ls2 heads/ls6 cam(already have all of that) but due to budget it'll have to be stock, plus however much laughing gas it'll take. Now i need to get the van back home and start stripping it when it gets warm.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/9/17 5:53 p.m.

It's blue and has a title.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
2/9/17 6:06 p.m.

I really think you should put a small block ford in the corvette just to totally ruin the whole corvette image. Chevy engines were made to be swapped into everything else.

Let never know a wheel budget and sizes you'll accept and I'll keep my eye out for some/lowball everyone on Craigslist.

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
2/9/17 6:13 p.m.

Hey, even thought there's prolly a huge age gap here, a love of cars has no age, and it's one of the few things that's kept me sane during my parents recent divorce. I can identify with this thread hardcore.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/9/17 6:34 p.m.

This is awsome. Ill loan you my c5 z06 wheels from the elky ( have around 100 in them) if you need a set for the challenge. 17x9.5 square.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/17 7:54 p.m.

How about modified Fiero body panels on the Vette?

Surely someone has a free one for the cause!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/9/17 8:15 p.m.
QuasiMofo wrote: How about modified Fiero body panels on the Vette? Surely someone has a free one for the cause!

What was that god-awful Fiero/Ferrari kit car going around a couple months ago? Yea, a cheap one of those.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/17 8:28 p.m.

I came in here thinking wow a Honda Odyssey body on the C5? Didn't see that coming. I have to say what little I did to help load those two on the trailer was the most fun I've had in months.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/9/17 8:57 p.m.

Pat,
Sorry to hear of the tough times but it seems you are doing just fine at finding and outlet for insanity.
You've got to let that craziness out or it will eat you up inside.

If you make another run to Jax, let me know. I'm willing to do half the driving if you want to make a bonzi run down there some time.

Thanks for the update. I have seen your bits and pieces but I could not figure how all these parts are related or what the outcome will be. You keep me guessing.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
2/9/17 9:03 p.m.

I assume the LQ4 has 325 horsepower now. What would the LS2 heads/LS6 cam add to that?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
2/10/17 6:26 a.m.

We're cheering for you Pat! This should be an awesome build!

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
2/10/17 7:33 a.m.

I think I'm pretty nearly out of C5 spares at this point but I'll be following along! good luck with the project even in stock form C5's are pretty awesome handling cars so I'm guessing you should be able to be in the hunt for a top 5 without too much difficulty!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/10/17 1:03 p.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: We're cheering for you Pat! This should be an awesome build!

I am seconding that!!! Go Pat. BTW, our first challenge we finished 11th....just sayin'...

patgizz
2/10/17 2:06 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
TheV8Kid wrote: We're cheering for you Pat! This should be an awesome build!
I am seconding that!!! Go Pat. BTW, our first challenge we finished 11th....just sayin'...

Well, i DO need a new welder

A c5 engine harness showed up today, but it's not going into the budget. When the time comes i'm going to lay the corvette harness next to the one from the engine donor and replicate it to not add budget hit if it comes down to nickles and dimes, which it will, since last year i finished at $2015.xx

Garage heat is ON, going out after it warms up to kill some cleaning so i can get working on the chevelle. Can't do much with the corvette until i get the engine out of the donor, and it's way too cold for that. I did get the speaker box out, so i can dumpster that

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/10/17 2:27 p.m.

I read the whole thread and I STILL have no flipping idea what you are building with these random parts!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EeLM9vTpUyYP4Jcx7fAwdA39e948hZF7hlij5qFfVV8CdI97hRZ0PZqGZm9EyaWG