1 2 3
jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
2/10/17 2:58 p.m.

What was the story with the chevelle and $300??

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/10/17 3:06 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I read the whole thread and I STILL have no flipping idea what you are building with these random parts!

Think Molvo but not touching wheelbase of vette. Will fit whatever to the vette by sectioning out and moving wheel openings in body versus changing wheelbase of chassis.

patgizz
2/10/17 5:26 p.m.

Got much done in garage so took a little time with the car, can only work so long out there with the diesel heater. Removing nasty carpet. Found a company that makes a bolt in roll bar good to 10.00 with swing out door bars, will be working off their pictures when that time comes. Have found 3 pennies so far, do i lower the initial price or are these recoup?

patgizz
2/10/17 5:33 p.m.
jfryjfry wrote: What was the story with the chevelle and $300??

Long story short. Find no rust 72 chevelle roller on CL in NC. Make deal for 3,390. Paypal 390 balance on pickup in 4 days. Drive to NC and stay in hotel. 10am Get to house, seller was booted for dealing drugs, texted me to meet at walmart parking lot, quits answering phone. Meet guy at shop across street that knows him, says he's shady as berkeley, sold car for more $ day before and didn't have the decency to tell me not to drive 500 miles. Got deposit back via paypal claim but out 1000 miles of diesel, hotel room, food, 2 ways of class 3 tolls on WV turnpike.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
2/10/17 5:56 p.m.

I am very sorry to hear about your recent string of sad events.

Very impressed by your penny-pinching skills, though.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/11/17 8:32 p.m.

Good to see you posting this up and I'm looking forward to the build. On 17x9.5s best advice is sawblades, I usually see staggered sets from $100 to 300, or 18x9.5 wagon wheels are super cheap, usually $200 or less for a set. Pay attention to Facebook marketplace, I'm finding lots of deals there. Hope to see you this fall.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/17 12:13 p.m.

Pat I found this and immediately thought of you.

patgizz
2/14/17 1:35 p.m.

I'll have Carli keep an eye on facetubes. I don't have time. I know blades are probably cheapest route, i just never liked them. Literally as soon as i got my 91 i ordered the grand sport a mold wheels. They stayed and car went, with the factory blades on it. Still pretty ill that i passed on a set of wagon wheels for $55 at an estate sale a few years ago.

jmk015
jmk015 New Reader
2/16/17 8:15 a.m.

You don't need a body for the Corvette. Corvette-cart ala Roadkill. Its free weight savings...

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
2/16/17 2:06 p.m.

Chevette on top of a Corvette? The double vette?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
2/16/17 2:43 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: Chevette on top of a Corvette? The double vette?

A vette inside of a vette.

Vetteception

Opti
Opti HalfDork
2/17/17 1:53 p.m.

ill check my garage this weekend, if i still have my rack ill let it go for price of shipping.

it got cut into by a rogue harmonic balancer.

would probably need some work to make it hold fluid but it could probably be depowered pretty easy.

When i was looking, racks were hard to find. I paid around 200 and felt like i got a deal.

patgizz
2/18/17 4:44 p.m.
Opti wrote: ill check my garage this weekend, if i still have my rack ill let it go for price of shipping. it got cut into by a rogue harmonic balancer. would probably need some work to make it hold fluid but it could probably be depowered pretty easy. When i was looking, racks were hard to find. I paid around 200 and felt like i got a deal.

That would be greatly appreciated! Best i can find so far is 225 shipped but that's a budget killer.

patgizz
2/25/17 12:28 p.m.

sooooo i have a line on a 6.0 with harness, ecm, accessories, and 4L80E for considerably less than i paid for the van.

truck engine brings one thing up that came to me yesterday. steering rack versus harmonic balancer. i found a picture of a stock c5 engine bay that's showing about 1" of pulley to rack clearance. the truck pulley is at least that much deeper(farther from front of engine) than the corvette part, which is the skinniest one. so we're going to have rack to pulley issues. i believe switching out to corvette accessory drive is not possible with the budget, but moving the rack forward is. given that the rack would be on the same plane vertically speaking, just moving straight forward an inch, will i be running into any geometry issues?

that is all dependent on finding a budget friendly rack, of course.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
2/25/17 1:06 p.m.

Would it change Ackerman??

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/26/17 8:05 a.m.

Why do you need a body?

Exovette.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/26/17 8:07 a.m.

BTW, my understanding of the pickup "rules"- the cargo area in the back makes that car a pickup already!

Grab some scrap off a jobsite, add wooden bed FTW!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/26/17 8:16 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

You have a PM

patgizz
2/26/17 8:55 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to patgizz: You have a PM

got it. will probably keep the van as a donor for a future challenge as it would lead to a basically free 6.0 after selling the proven good 4L80E and disc brake full float rear/scrap shell. i just have to keep it together long enough for someone to drive around the block to see the trans is good.

patgizz
2/26/17 9:09 a.m.
SVreX wrote: BTW, my understanding of the pickup "rules"- the cargo area in the back makes that car a pickup already! Grab some scrap off a jobsite, add wooden bed FTW!

had thought about that, but i personally want to see guys bringing things that started life as pickups and not "hey i got this performance car and made a bed on it!"

that's just me, but if i wanted to be pickup class guy i'd turn the macnasty s10 into a gun for the knife fight. take the truck as it sits and throw a nitrous fed 6.0, cage, th400, 9", and slicks at it and make it turn like steve's MG - point and shoot. if the truck only needed drivetrain and not way more i would consider that as a quickie to then pull post challenge and reuse but i have already built a pretty good s series truck, so been there done that for me. clean boxy s10's are theft fodder around here, that's where the last one went.

we did measure to see if the s10 body would work on the c5, but there just isn't enough body between the seat and the front wheels to fit an engine without sitting on top of the left cylinder head. also measured the 90 c1500 but same deal. 10 more inches than the s10 but still not enough.

haven't really updated because last monday i gutted the front room of the house where the kids play because it's one of the last rooms in the house with zero insulation(it faces west, it was breezy inside and easily 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the house in the winter). insulation, reframing, electric, drywall, paint done. bought $700 worth of wood last night, building a wall of bookshelves as soon as i get done computing. in the midst of all this my bank got bought out and i just spent a couple valuable hours switching all my online crap to the new account numbers

ordering more of those LED shoplights for the garage, it's going to be more pleasant working on the cars when i could actually see what i'm doing.

patgizz
3/31/17 9:12 p.m.

As life would have it, 2 of my favorite ladies that I'm not related to passed away recently. One of ALS and one cancer. It's a bummer but at some point we're all done. Now that the kids play/school room is done and set up, i'm knocking out a couple little projects on the living room and collecting parts.

The 6.0 van, while the LQ4 would be nice, is going to stay whole a while longer, so the search was on to find a LS based truck engine. Today at the chiropractor i was waiting and trolling CL and came across an ad for an 02 4.8 complete intake to pan, balancer to flywheel and everything in between including harness. $250 later its on my trailer ready to go into the garage tomorrow. Will be able to sell harness, manifolds, oil pan to recoup pretty much the entire purchase price, leaving me cheap enough to consider either heads/cam or boooooooost. If i went n/a this could end up a sub $1000 class build but who am i to leave $ on the table having spent 2015.xx on the 2016 car.

Next up need to find an ls2/3 c6 oil pan as it fits the chassis and isnt the stupid batwing c5 pan. If anyone has a line on a cheap pan/pickup/stick setup i'm all ears. First thing may be to use the truck pan to learn how to tig weld aluminum as that would cost me nothing as i picked up an aluminum cooking tray in the trash and blasted the coating off of it so i have a 16x20 sheet of aluminum about the same thickness as the oil pan.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
4/1/17 6:46 a.m.

So sorry to hear of your loss, Pat.

patgizz
4/1/17 7:08 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: So sorry to hear of your loss, Pat.

Thanks. I'm so over death right now I'm just numb when i hear about someone else. My assistant Sean lost 4 friends in 4 months ranging from 17-27. Heroin, 2 car accidents, and not sure of the last but we've had so much death around that the only logical answer is to live your ass off like there is no next year.

Therefore this B is happening come hell or high water and i live at the top of a hill so water isn't stopping me.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/17 8:53 a.m.

Moving rack forward will change Ackerman. How much depends on how far you go. I believe it reduces Ackerman in a front steer arrangement. For a challenge car it is probably not enough to care about unless you are moving it several inches. The biggest thing you have to look out for is making sure you don't end up with a straight line from the steering rack ball/tie rod to the kingpin. If they line up you can get the steering to lock up as the tie rod doesn't have any ability to unsteer the wheel. Avoid that and likely your fine

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
4/1/17 11:24 a.m.

Pat, look at atlanta CL parts, type in Corvette There are 3 c4's Two No engine or trans one in Villa Rica Complete Manual 1500/Obo but rough I am looking at 2 of them Tommorow and can check out the other If I can Help all Have good lookin' wheels and some other part but don't know if you are Interested, i'm looking at the one for 800 in the morning to put in my Drive train for the Challenge.And that kid works for a vette only Dealer so maybe able to access some c5 Parts.

Jim this could be your Body Parts also as in rear shell/bumper. Call Me later.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
va1lhOSGH5lwuGm1Zdw0zf8mXFBQ2u5f0IEkljloUuCSocvdt0GXY7aWF6SsTWbg