1 2 3
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/1/13 11:05 a.m.

I do miss the People's Curse. That was a lot of fun.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
2/1/13 11:44 a.m.

This is fantastic.

Might this be the first first Rolls to sit on Diamond Racing wheels? 17" Diamonds are gonna look burly on that thing.

Looking forward to more updates.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/1/13 8:34 p.m.

In reply to gamby:

We are deciding on if we should run 17" Or 18" diamonds. We run 245/45/17 on the boat, so that is a leading contender as we have spares.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
2/3/13 12:13 a.m.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as 18" Diamonds. How 'bout that? Certainly would be Rolls-level baller status, but 17's are still a big wheel for a car of that vintage and then there's the practicality standpoint of spares.

God, this is gonna be strange...

jr02518
jr02518 New Reader
2/3/13 9:26 a.m.

Based on the weight/mass of the car you might want larger and wider rims with shorter stretched side walls.

The spring rates for this car are going to be epic. Please let us know what you end up running.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
3/4/13 8:21 p.m.

Here's an update from this weekend's work. It's still damn cold here, and the Rolls is 17' long, so it doesn't fit in my small suburban garage. We brought it down to my house from Jeffs as he has the Boat and that needs enough work, so we split it up to make it easier.

The Suburban pulled the Rolls like a champ!

We had it running from the last workday, which is great, and it continues to run about the same, which is to say on 6.5 cylinders, but it does move, turn, and stop. We got it up in the air and did some poking around. A compression test yielded decent numbers overall, most cylinders were 140, with two at 150, and one at 130, and one I couldn't test as the timecert on that cylinder was stuck to the plug, so I couldn't thread the tester in there. While the plugs were out, I squirted a mix of ATF and sea foam in each one to clean them up and loosen up the rings. It smoked like a mofo when it started up later on burning that all out. We started to remove some of the unnecessary parts, like the A/C and washer tank, etc. We cleaned and lubed up the throttle linkage so that you don't need to pull the gas pedal back up with your toe. The throttle linkage itself is hilarious: the pedal actuated a lever under the floor, which moves a bell crank, which then actuates a rod that runs the width of the car, which then actuates a different rod that runs up to the engine, where a complex series of rods and joints goes to one carb, where it then actuates another series of rods and springs and levers to move the other carb. Nuts.

We found some new problems, and confirmed suspicions about what was wrong for other things. First, we did confirm that the rear hydraulic pump is not working. This will need to be replaced with a rebuilt unit. Second, we found that the LF strut has a broken stud at the bottom, so it isn't actually attached to the lower control arm anymore, it is just gravity and spring pressure holding it into place. The shock will need to be replaced.

The front brakes grab a little bit, so we will need to take off the 4 front brake calipers and clean/lube/etc.
Here's the fun of the front suspension

We also drained the ancient oil in the motor, and refilled the motor with ATF to hopefully clean out whatever carbon/sludge is in there. The exhaust is a complete disaster, and will need to be replaced for most of the length of the car. How about a flow master, just because it seems so wrong!

The plan now is to have it at Monticello for Judgemobile duties with the above items fixed, then begin the "race prep" phase of doing only what is needed to pass tech, and absolutely nothing at all to make it "better" or "faster".

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/4/13 8:33 p.m.

Exhaust suggestion, if it's legal, because it would be so wrong, it's right.

photo GRM2010Saturday-246.jpg

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/5/13 12:49 p.m.
Sonic wrote: How about a flow master, just because it seems so wrong!

Fart cannon angled out N1-style would be "so wrong". I dunno how it would sound, though--Russian roulette there.

Flowmaster would probably make the thing sound badass.

RossD
RossD UberDork
3/5/13 1:27 p.m.

Nope both wrong...SIDE PIPES!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/5/13 1:29 p.m.

I vote bosozoku-theme.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/5/13 1:39 p.m.

Proper boso pipes wouldn't survive rear end contact ( ) for too long.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
3/5/13 5:37 p.m.

Bosozoku exhaust isn't limited to rear exit, I'm just sayin'...

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
3/5/13 7:53 p.m.

hope this vid aint been covered like this project !

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zpduY786op7CSuCVheOyUsBpQpuCEhkM3AHR2iNbmLS8hH7GCvmAnTmY8nijPu4d