1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/20 8:29 p.m.

All of my shop time the last couple of days has been cleaning lathe parts. Evaporust is good stuff. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 10:27 p.m.

Day 20.

Nothing exciting, just more of the same. Picking away at odds and ends on the floor and finding a place for it. Sometimes that place is the bin.

It was a long day at the computer and once in awhile I would take a break by coming out to the garage to putter around a bit. It was nice to do.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/2/20 10:38 p.m.

Day 21. 

I really want a better radio in the garage, so I dug out the little bookshelf system I bought for my apartment when I was in NH back in 2016 and set it up on the shelf i built for the DeWalt radio.

Well... It looks nice... But unfortunately, either both radios are crap or reception in the garage just sucks. Maybe both. 

This little guy has Bluetooth capabilities, so I figured I'd pair it to my phone. 

Still sounds like poo.

So back into the box it went. Oh well... So not much useful got done tonight.

(Jesse) Ransom
(Jesse) Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/3/20 12:03 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Sometimes what you accomplish is finding out that Plan A needs work... It's still progress.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/3/20 10:09 p.m.

Day 22

It's funny the stuff you find when looking for places to put other stuff.

I forgot I bought a OBD II code reader. According to the receipt that was still in the bag, I bought it towards the end of 2014.

Sweet!

Uh oh...

Apparently it got crushed somehow...

I need to read codes in the MINI, so I'll find out if it still works after straightening the pins tomorrow.

I haven't accomplished much in the last few days, but I have spent some time out there just about every day. 

Yesterday was spent mounting and balancing a set of RE71Rs for a autocross buddy. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/4/20 12:43 p.m.

Garage cleaned up nice.  It looks tight  (because it is) but for a one holer, this is an improvement. 

Also, I had no idea I acquired that many license plates. Still need to clean the table to the left, but, it's still an improvement.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
6/4/20 1:04 p.m.

Been doing more then 30 minutes a day because I am stuck at home but almost done. 

Lights are finished, lifts are greases and serviced. All the tools are away. Still need to dig through some old boxes of tools that need cleaning and sorting but those are sitting in cleaner right now. Got the freezer defrosted and bleached and cleaned as well. Acid washed the floors, cleaned all the windows and screens. Got the stereo back up and working. 

Need to put some motion sensing switches in for the lights and fix a few outlets that don;t work and will be pretty good and done. 

In reply to wearymicrobe :

That Caddy is just perfection. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
6/4/20 3:19 p.m.

So close to starting.  Mocking up intake and trying to find a spot for the dual catch cans.  Mildy afraid of this part as I haven't llayed with Catch Cans before.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/4/20 10:36 p.m.

Day 23

A day of meetings thwarted my plans, not that my plans were all that lofty in the first place.

Unfortunately, there was some level of misunderstanding and the person I thought was interested in the two VWs isn't up for a project of that scope. Apparently he was under the impression they were running...

So I am now back to needing to finish working on the TDI. Well... 

And I thought I had someone to take the Miata rack, but he apparently ghosted me. Which is a bit frustrating since I offered to deliver it 75% to him over the weekend.

Anyway, I continued to shift odds and ends around so when I am ready to work on the cars again, I'll have room to do so. 

And I'm back in NH next week, so my 30 days won't be continuous. Still... 26 days straight shouldn't be too bad. Plus, coming home to a relatively clean garage may entice me to work on the cars.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/5/20 6:03 a.m.

What?!  Sorry about the VW guy.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/5/20 7:32 a.m.

So if the VWs go away you can put the P1800 in the shop?!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
6/5/20 10:10 a.m.

I've been spending more than 30 minutes a day in the garage and I have all of the big organizing done. Now I've got small tasks on my radar.  

I have many containers full of hardware removed when I've parted out cars in the past. I finally unboxed the Harbor Freight tumbler that I bought more than a year ago and started cleaning up everything.  I've done a few batches already and they look pretty good. And I'm getting everything sorted into some containers for future retrieval.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/5/20 11:10 a.m.
NOHOME said:

So if the VWs go away you can put the P1800 in the shop?!

No... at least not at first. Before I can work on the Volvo, I have to construct an entirely new building.  Plus, the two Triumphs need work before I can start thinking about the Volvo. Hell... I have to renovate/fix my house before I can even think about the Volvo.  

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/20 8:52 p.m.

Rainy weekend here in FL. Good time to sort and purge but slow progress.

Back at it tomorrow. I will hopefully be able to finish cleaning off two benches and sort through some old spare parts. 

I'm trying really hard not to go look at THIS.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/20 9:12 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr (FS) :

Not a bad deal with the tool post. I need to spend 30 minutes for a couple days getting my lathe going.

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/20 9:25 p.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

I know. It's been switched to 240 VAC and has a 10" throw.

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/7/20 12:19 p.m.

Got a solid 45 minutes in today. Mostly involved finding and pitching a bunch of trash and recycling, identifying some things that can be given away or sold and moving some shelving from one wall to the other so I could expose some bicycle hangars.

Bikes are now wall mounted, big ole pile of cardboard at the curb for pickup and random Ducati parts that were scattered are now grouped together with their friends.

Next phase will be tool cleanup. My entire work bench is covered in tools and E36 parts.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
6/7/20 10:56 p.m.

https://i.imgur.com/nbxEHDE.jpg

so yeah this is why I did not feel well today. But the yard is done now. Waiting on some glass to show up so I can fix some windows. Going to my folks place to fix some electrical tomorrow. 

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/20 6:46 p.m.

30 minutes of effort today netted a coffee table and Weber smoker both picked up after being posted on our local FreeCycle Facebook group. Also rescued a Bluetooth speaker that had been in there for months so my lady can enjoy some tunes while she's in the garden.

Giving things away to local neighbors feels so much better than dealing with FB Marketplace.

Also pro-tip, I don't care how much you need a smoker never buy the Weber 14" version. It's like a tiny little toy.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/20 11:59 p.m.

Been keeping up with no real "progress" until tonight.  Ceiling is done, lights are all up.  Now after a few nights cleaning I can start on a Subaru. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 9:03 a.m.

Well... I managed to fail over the weekend.  If you saw the CPR thread, Sat was rather draining. Sunday wasn't much better.  Monday was balls-to-the-wall with work that also included driving back to NH for the week.  If all goes well I'll be able to get back into the routine on Friday, but I'm not holding my breath. 

(Jesse) Ransom
(Jesse) Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/20 9:20 a.m.

Fingers crossed for a return to progress. Like Ross Bentley (and probably a bunch of others) says of driving, it's not about the impossible standard of maintaining perfect focus, but about getting it back as quickly as possible.

you've done great so far!  and remember, this is a lifetime process, so don't fret over being away for a week.  the situation won't deteriorate while you're away.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fsdi84QXvssWRHKQZ1ILtx9KlmsPaaU88a1SjybKWqQaWYPM6SFgbRLCctxHnwAb