1 ... 5 6 7 8
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
6/9/20 9:56 a.m.

Parents electrical is all fixed and they have lights in the garage now so I don't have to worry about them falling at night. Need to fix the doorbell and a few other things that popped up when I was up there. Got there safe fixed as well so they have there doc's for travel later this year if is possible. 

Now I have six of these to pull today. They sound like they are filled with concrete. Which is going to suck. 

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/20 7:18 p.m.

Finally unpacked and put the tire rack tire carriers I bought in January to use.

Got the BMW Roadstars poorly stacked and out of the way. I'll no longer fear hitting them when I pull the E36 in.

Once those were moved the revealed a bag of hardwood pellets that came with the smoker I gave away yesterday. Mouse had gotten into them and pellets were everywhere. Sweep, scoop, trash, gone!

While I was down at floor level spotted my HF jack stands and figured I better check if they were part of the recent recall.

And sure enough, these need to get replaced.

Finished up by getting all of my car detailing stuff together in one place and getting all of my suspension adjustment tools/knobs in one place. Along the way discovered that I own three battery tenders. Twist tie the cords and put em together on the shelf next to the charging outlet.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/11/20 12:48 a.m.

Cleaned some, and built one of the lower supports for 1 of the two "Big hanging shelf".

That's going to be a nearly 60' U of 2.5 deep shelf for bulky lighter things.  

nocones
6/13/20 12:38 a.m.

Last 2 nights got the frames done.  Tomorrow sheet and then they will be done for now.  I already have an electric drop for under shelf lights all the way around.  Just will need to wire them up.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/14/20 2:48 p.m.

Getting back in the groove after a week away from home. Sat was a road trip down to Fredrick MD for a mtn bike ride with my DC friends. I did a bolt check on my bike before starting. Missed two... which resulted in lining up for a technical section, turning the bars and having the front wheel not turn. Then tumbling OTB down a rock slab. Results hurt.

So by the time I got home, had some food and showered, I didn't feel like doing anything other than vegging out before going to bed.

This morning, let's get something done. The minivan needed an oil change. So I took the opportunity to rotate the tires and install the hitch receiver.

Frustration is owning three lifts and still having to work with jack stands...

While I was working, Chris stopped by to pick up the pair of DRZ's.

Woohoo! Stuff out of the shed! And I can finally get the 1800 nose inside. Plus I have a slew of stuff in the attic and basement that is better suited to shed storage.

After Chris left, I got the hitch installed.

Yes... One of my neighbors has a 3 door refrigerated case sitting on a trailer in front of their house. It's been there for months... I can't imagine why they have it... I consider it a side effect of not getting hassled about the derelict Volvo in my back yard.

The garage connection to installing the hitch is it one really big item no longer taking up space in the garage.

I haven't been posting in here much, but have managed to spend a fair amount of time in the shop of the last week or so. 

Mostly cleaning lathe parts and working on that. Not a lot to talk about or show. If you have seen one gear go from black and gross to clean and shiny, you have seen all of them. 

I did manage to get the lathe motor running on the VFD. 

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/14/20 4:55 p.m.

Yesterday my thirty minutes resulted in final touches on a mid-century modern bedside table I'd refinished. Last staining and wax was probably 6+ months ago and all it needed was a small ornamental brass strip reapplied to the front cabinet door. Considering we bought the pair two years ago and one of them has been completed and in the house for months it's nice to get the second one done and off of my workbench.

Rest of my time was spent with some Meguiars leather cleaner on my dove grey drivers side Vader seat on the E36. My jeans had transferred some dye onto the leather and the cleaner took it off lickety split no elbow grease required.

nocones
6/15/20 11:51 p.m.

Shelf is done.  We went camping this weekend so I took 2 days off.  

nocones
6/18/20 12:46 a.m.

I guess this is over for me now..  

I didnt quite do 30/30 in a row but I like the concept.  I tried to keep constant effort on things that are usually slow and annoying.  I got much garage work done and with 1 more day of effort car project work will actually occur.  I need to decide between thinking Brumpy can be pulled together for GRM $2020 or get a 4 month head start on LMP360 for $2021..

Last day for me.  Got the undershelf lighting completed.  I've added nearly 650 w of T8 above what the garage had before.  I will be eventually duplicating the shelf down the left side and adding the last 4 lights.  

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
6/18/20 9:04 p.m.
nocones said:

I guess this is over for me now..  

I didnt quite do 30/30 in a row but I like the concept.  

I don't believe it shoud end at 30 days. I've kept going and get 30 minutes in most days, 60 minutes when I have to make up for a skipped day. My garage has never looked better and my projects are all getting finished.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/20 11:40 p.m.

Prepping for some yard work. The fuel lines had pretty much turned to powder, but I'm going to try to take the 30 minutes In the Garage philosophy and run with it, even if it isnt always going to be spinning wrenches on cars.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
6/20/20 10:01 a.m.

A bit more then 30 minutes. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/28/20 10:06 a.m.

My mower deck ate a belt last time i went to mow. I knew the spindles needed attention prior to the belt break so i parked the rider and mowed with my nice snapper high wheel walk behind.

go to work on the deck, find the spindles in ok shape, 1 had a bad bearing but it was a different idler pulley that seized up.  I then recall there is a hole in the deck that needs fixed so open that can of worms. Then the other spot that needed fixed.  Then scrape at some other scaley rust and find more holes. Berk. I used the uprights from a old hammer store tool cart for the patching. Get it to a rough fit, weld in place then hammer into submission. Then finished the pulleys, sharpened the blades and put a new kevlar belt on.  New idler gets dropped off today. Some of the metal was super thin. On my lowest MIG setting it was still blowing through very easy.  I was not trying to make this look pretty either.. just make it work better.

lifted golfcart with the dump bed on it makes for a good portable work table. these patches should get me another few years out of this deck.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/2/20 7:18 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Woo!  1800 parts!!! 

Also...ouch on that injury. 

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/2/20 7:20 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

It's a mower.  It doesn't need to be pretty.  It needs to mow.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/20 11:03 a.m.

Bought some air tools for the 21-gal air compressor I bought from the clearance section in my local HF.

Tossed then into a side box from a rolling HF cart I had laying around and mounted it to the wall.  I wasn't happy about it, but it was a 30-minutes in the garage sort of thing.

poking around for ideas on better organization in the garage, I found some solutions for hanging the air tools.  They weren't too bad for the price, but I'm a GRM'er and therefore I don't throw things away and I'm cheap :)

Scrounged around and found some aluminum angle in my bin of scrap material.  Cut it in half, drilled some 5/16" holes, chamfered them to help the air fitting to sit down in the hole slightly (some dimple dies would have worked better).  Cut some slots and filed them down and mounted them to the door and back wall of the box.

I'll thin out the duplicates (anyone want an air hammer or 3/8" air ratchet?).

Next job is to move the air compressor and start mapping out the air lines.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/12/20 6:56 p.m.

Spent 30 minutes today swapping the actual wheels back into my 318ti, and cleaned the wheels I had mocked up on there. I also measured the back wall for building a shelf, pulled a few nails that were in the way, and generally strategized on how to bring that shelf together.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/20 6:24 p.m.

So I have not entirely forgotten about this thread. Unfortunately, I lost momentum when I spent a week in NH and it's been tough to get it back. The heat hasn't helped either.

Some may remember after installing the new lights, I was annoyed how the lights didn't quite run the length of the garage and left the area by the garage door a little dark. 

So I put more lights in my Amazon cart and there they sat. And sat...

Until I finally got around to clicking "buy." They arrived today so I took a break from WFH and installed them. Hopefully I can get things moving forward again.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/20/20 7:15 p.m.

Cant do every day but I'm going to start popping in here to keep myself accountable some. Today on my lunch break I put the drop shackles on my truck.

I've spent a bunch of time in the shop, but all of my 30 minutes have been spent making messes, not correcting them. 

The pile around the lathe is getting a little deep. Building a driveshaft adapter and drive shaft has made a few chips. 

And there are now lathe parts, boat parts, and car parts everywhere. We are down to the wire on the Lemons car so everything else has been dropped until that is done. 

solfly
solfly Dork
9/17/20 12:49 p.m.

my own garage did a bunch of cleaning up last week, still a bit to go, well over 30 minutes

today in the shop i put a new axle and an axle seal in my EK Civic, opposite sides of course. changed the oil and transmission fluid. ~90 minutes

mfennell
mfennell Reader
9/17/20 2:13 p.m.

I'm still doing things too.  Every weekday morning, if I don't go for a bike ride, I'm in the garage for ~20 minutes.   This feels like it needs a bullet list

• My wife's MINI was broken into via a rear window, so replacing that was a week's worth of mornings.  The dealer wanted $650, the bodyshop, $450.  The glass was $220.  Plus $25 for the plastic trim I broke.  :)
  • I went through my wife's 25yo MTB and updated it to (barely) fit our 11yo daughter.  Had most things lying around - light wheels, front V brake with lever to convert to a 1X7 arrangement, different saddle, light handlebar.  Bought 140mm cranks, smaller tires, and a tiny stem.  Took 4+ lbs off it though it's still around 24.
  • I pulled the dash in my 360, replaced the defrost vents, sent out a bunch of parts to be refinished, and changed the stereo to something modern.  That was a month+.  Just this morning installed the last two pieces. 
  • Someone gave me a really low-mile but filthy Schwinn LeTour.  Cleaning, waxing, polishing has it looking nice.
  • Some days I just clean something up
  • I got a Supersprint muffler for my wife's E30 and just received some new straps, so that's going in.  My neighbor got a vacuum for automotive AC so I'm going to borrow that and properly finish the conversion to R-134.
solfly
solfly Dork
9/17/20 4:14 p.m.

Has there ever been more difference between two same name cars than a Subaru and Ferarri 360?

solfly
solfly Dork
9/19/20 10:29 a.m.

Cleaned up in the garage more yesterday.

5 minutes in the driveway but me and my 3 year old changed the cone air filter on the EK.

Lemons is finally over and done with. Today I started the battle to regain control of the monster. 

After several months of scrambling to complete the Lemons car it's a bit of a disaster.

This is going to take some time...

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8IrrL6gNK4jpXnxbzDHaDn6b1PqQL8QEFtUQTsdyfV18mqVDOCdRiETg63eoA5EE