1 2
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/17/15 1:01 p.m.

Hmm....

Want to make me stuff? I cannot justify the cost and space a 3d printer will cost. But hot damn does this thread make me want one...

erohslc
erohslc Dork
3/17/15 4:07 p.m.
fifty wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I think of the 3D printer like the PC. In a few decades it'll be much more commonplace. Not every house, like a PC is now, but like a PC was in the late 80's. And it'll be the same as with PCs. There'll be those that are using them to their fullest, and those that just check their AOL mail and play games, and there'll be those that are designing stuff and making it. Designing stuff on blender or sketchup isn't very hard really.
I'm with Dr. Boost on this one. Home computing (the first Apple as an example) started out as a cottage industry also. Once the technology goes mainstream and companies like HP, Apple etc get on board I expect 3D printers to be the ipod / smart phone etc of the future. Great project BTW, thanks for sharing!

Actually, HP has been in it for a while now, just not at the hobbyist level.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/17/15 7:02 p.m.

So awesome, one day id like to build one of these. Fortunate for me at the moment we have a makerbot at school which is useful in remaking little plastic parts that broke in my 20 year old cars. Horray for the future!

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/17/15 8:19 p.m.

I don't have any pictures to post tonight, just too tired and there's not a lot to post. I mounted the electronics, but haven't permanently mounted the wires so it looks pretty craptastic right now. The only thing I have left to do is wire up the power supply, which brings me to the stall. I thought I'd save a few bucks (we are grassroots here, right?) and use a power supply I already have. The problem is, the power supply is HUGE. It won't fit on the frame, and I really want this to be a self-contained piece. Anyway, I just ordered the correct power supply. With my luck it'll get here Monday, when I'll be on Oklahoma for a week on business. So, the next update could be 2 weeks. We'll see.
Thanks for all the interest folks. I will update things as I get the printer finished, and as I start printing and learning about that end of it.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
3/17/15 8:43 p.m.

This thread is creating sme serious want for a 3d printer. I could make so much crap with one

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/18/15 9:19 a.m.

Dude, this is awesome. I'm a HUGE 3D printing nerd, including making a couple large, professional level machines at work and in my spare time. Keep updating this, I'm excited to see it move along. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

A few high points:

-Make DAMN SURE your power supply is UL-rated. Most aren't, and it wouldn't be the first time a cheap high wattage PS caught fire.

-Look into Simplify3D for your slicing software. Not sure what you were planning on using, but Simplify3D is the best out there by a LONG shot. It's not cheap, but worth every penny.

-If you REALLY want to have a nice machine, consider using an ARM-based controller rather than the common ATMega units. Smoothieboards are kickass, and really improve the overall build quality by allowing true third-order motion calculations (i.e. actual accel/decel tuning). I took our CubeX at work and put in a Smoothieboard and the quality of the prints shot through the roof.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/18/15 10:08 a.m.
unevolved wrote: A lot of stuff DrBoost didn't understand.

We will talk. For sure!

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/18/15 10:10 a.m.

Awesome! Just send me an email through the board. I'm like 90% sure it'll work most of the time.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/18/15 4:15 p.m.

When I get it up and printing, I'll contact you for sure.
I don't think I'll have the PS soon enough to do anything on it before I leave for OK next week though.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
3/18/15 5:56 p.m.

I'm waiting for the model that hooks up to a hydrogen tank and spits out whatever you want in any material composition you request. Including edible and drinkable.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
3/19/15 10:04 p.m.

^I'm in for a whiskey printer!

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/29/15 2:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Hmm.... Want to make me stuff? I cannot justify the cost and space a 3d printer will cost. But hot damn does this thread make me want one...

I'd be more than happy to make you stuff, when I get everything dialed in. Shoot me a PM when you see this and we'll talk.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/29/15 2:09 p.m.

After being out of town for a week, I'm back at it.
I got the power supply mounted. That's what held all this up for almost 2 weeks. I thought I could use the PS I had on hand, and it was just too stinkin' huge so I ordered the one he recommends.

I should have just ordered it from the get-go. The frame is pre-drilled for the mounting holes so it's a real no-brainer.

The one thing about this printer is the wiring mess it creates. Naturally, the switches and motors are off-the-shelf parts so the wires aren't custom length. I have the wires tied up, but there's still a rat's nest by the controller.
Here's the 120V power coming in, and three sets of 12V power going out.

Trying to make it neat and clean

Now it's assembled, the spool of filament is mounted, the controller is awake, and I'm calibrating and getting ready for my first calibration print.

I'll update with first prints, and I'll update this, or make a new thread as I print some stuff.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
3/29/15 3:32 p.m.

Print a 3D thread and mail it to interested parties.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/30/15 10:11 a.m.

Good luck! What are you thinking for calibration prints?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/15 7:33 a.m.

In for more updates.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/15 1:15 p.m.

Don't leave us hanging like this!!!

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/4/15 2:14 p.m.

There was another thread that showed some printed light switch covers IIRC.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
5/5/15 5:38 p.m.

Any updates?

I'm designing a semi-professional machine at work, and my boss gave me the OK to release it under an open source license. I'll probably make a thread on here in the off-topic section detailing all the plans and parts and offering it up to anyone who wants to make one. It's about 18" x 18" x 18" printable area with two filament extruders.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CyclefgAUDjYBbDtS7wjNzQLPcgfTDXt0IPvp48sLCWgzBdtMdpNoQmcAgQlpVzP