1 2
RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/6/13 7:56 a.m.

I love it! One of these old Willys is on my bucket list. The fiancé wants a bench seat for cozy drives in a old pickup.

distributorguy
distributorguy New Reader
6/12/13 10:54 a.m.

Its alive! Fired up and stayed running on the first click of the key! That never happens... More photos and info to come once it stops raining and I get more work done on this pig... Need to bleed brakes after installing a brake light switch, then balance carbs and test drive!!!

49Jeepster
49Jeepster
6/18/13 4:51 a.m.

I have owned my 49 WIllys Jeepster for 43 years. It was my high school project car. I am trying to get it completed this time, after it being garaged for the last 30 years and working on it every couple of years until something else pops up.

My points that cause me to stumble in the past are the safety upgrades: brake system and steering system. I have to have at least discs on the front (original planadyne front suspension) and would like to have power steering driven by my Buick V6 (68 Mustang 8" rearend and 67 GTO Muncie wide ratio 4 Speed)

I would love to find out more about yourdisc brake conversion and what mods you had to do to incorporate rack and pinion steering. I would really appreciate learning what your experience has taught you about safety, cost and practical applications/adaptations of other common and available systems.

Thanks much!

distributorguy
distributorguy New Reader
7/31/13 7:37 a.m.

The disc brake conversion was simply a matter of making caliper brackets and mounting a master cylinder appropriate for disc brakes (all 4 corners). Just a matter of about 16 hours fabricating time and a pile of raw materials. The best compliment I've had so far came from a group of Chump Car racers who were truly jealous of my brakes and how well they worked!

As for the steering, Mounting a rack was easy. Lots of good welding and a very strong mounting plate. The hard part was modifying the steering column with roller thrust bearings and a spline to adapt for U-joints.

I initially installed a U-joint I had in stock, but it broke on one of the first test drives, in my driveway. It could have been a complete disaster, but let's just say it was a very lucky Father's Day. Upon installing good forged U-joints, the problem is solved and now I have a bent steering shaft for a shift lever, as a constant reminder.

Now about cost... who cares??? This is fun!!!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
7/31/13 9:34 a.m.

Great build!

(Now let's argue whether Willys is pronounced "Williss" or "Will-eez"!)

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
7/31/13 10:28 a.m.

Have any more pics?

BBC

52project
52project None
10/17/13 11:28 p.m.

I have a 52 willys pickup I'm rat roding out! Might take me a while seeing as I'm 17 and only have a part time job. Cant seem to upload a picture, but I'll try to start my own page.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/18/13 12:09 a.m.
52project wrote: I have a 52 willys pickup I'm rat roding out! Might take me a while seeing as I'm 17 and only have a part time job. Cant seem to upload a picture, but I'll try to start my own page.

I just moved your thread over to the builds. I'll post there explaining how to put pictures up

52project
52project New Reader
10/18/13 10:19 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Thanks! :D

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FbeB75ejQFoNk3U3YR202f2d4cHC02jKtChja5qDu3UirHfjcLGNE1w297cWpUYh