volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
8/17/12 1:44 p.m.

Well, too bad, I'm going to, anyway. It's a '62, it has a locked up engine, missing some parts, but the guy only wants 200 for it. I already have a '63 parts car sitting in my yard, with a GOOD engine in it. Both cars are 4 speeds.

I think it even has a "roll cage" in it. That's gotta be worth a pair of Benjamins, right?

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
8/17/12 3:05 p.m.

NICE!!! Whats the plan?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/12 4:58 p.m.

That stripe is worth $200.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/17/12 6:53 p.m.

$200? CHALLENGE CORVAIR!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/12 8:56 p.m.

I generally don't like the early cars, but I see potential here...

volvoclearinghouse
8/18/12 6:59 a.m.

Don't really have a plan for it right now. Owner was going to scrap it, so it's saved (for now) from being squashed into a metal cube and shipped off to China to be made into iPods.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/12 9:37 a.m.

you should get the one in the background too. silver taillight panel, if OE, means it's a corsa and originally had either a 4-carb 140 hp engine or a 180 hp turbocharged engine.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/12 1:26 p.m.

The very first autocross I ran in my teens I ran in my '63 Corvair Spyder coupe.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/18/12 3:49 p.m.

If it's a shell and not worthy of the name Corvair, drop it onto a Malibu frame.

www.v8vairs.com

Purist will cringe, but we're GRM.

volvoclearinghouse
8/20/12 12:05 p.m.

She's home...in all of her positive-cambered goodness:

volvoclearinghouse
8/20/12 2:46 p.m.

This car has an interesting history...previous owner autocrossed it for awhile. The rear engine cover has some "lightening" done:

volvoclearinghouse
8/20/12 4:12 p.m.

Turbo!

...well, at one time, perhaps.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/12 10:37 p.m.

here's what i can tell you:

it's an original spyder, as they're the only ones that had the single exhaust cutout in the rear valence. does it still have the dash with the round gauges?

it's got a '64-later engine, or at least it's got the cooling fan and top shroud of a '64-later engine (magnesium fan, belt guide).

good pull for $200.

volvoclearinghouse
8/21/12 6:37 a.m.

Unfortunately, the dash was pulled and sold before I got the car.

Since the rear engine cover was "lightened", water was able to get into the engine, so it's pretty well seized. I haven't tried to free it, but it's been sitting outside, carb-less, for many years now.

Awesome "roll bar", huh?

Not shown, but I did get a usable windshield and a fairly decent windshield seal with it.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
8/21/12 2:39 p.m.

Im pretty sure I have a bare (no gauges) em turbo dash, but I'll have to look tonight. If you want it you can have it for shipping cost.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UbIJdQt7rxp0RFB4NG79mrSx6mQymLMtiaSj8GWpCDH5EXmSAEMjgqcpqMUKg2b1