1 2
J0nesy
J0nesy New Reader
12/19/17 2:24 p.m.

Just picked up this car a couple weeks ago.  Been lurking for quite a while and finally decided to sign up and start a new thread.  Tried posting to a classic car specific forum but was quickly shooed away since I'm not restoring the car to factory specs.

About the hooptie:

1963 Chevrolet Bel Air 4 door sedan

230 straight six

2 speed air cooled Powerglide

Factory A/C

Super solid body, car is originally from Oklahoma.  It now resides in Kentucky.

Mechanically the only thing it needs is a rear pinion seal, and maybe a carrier bearing. 

The Plan:

My first goal is to do a few things to make it survive a road trip.  Planning to on doing the Hot Rod Power Tour this year for the first time.  So the plan is to have everything ready by early May so I can work any bugs out of it, before hitting to road for 1700+ miles.

The ultimate goal is to go towards the pro touring end of the spectrum.  Decent handling, steam roller tires, 400 hp, A/C, and some tunes.  I happen to have a 5.3L and 4l60e sitting in the corner of the garage that will eventually go in it.  I'm still undecided yet if it will go in before or after Power Tour.  I don't plan on taking this barge down the drag strip or dodge any cones, it will be a comfortable family cruiser.   But I'm sure, much like battle plans, the best laid plans only last until first contact, then all bets are off.

Currently parts on order include:

Power front disc brake conversion kit

Pinion seal

Shocks

Front and rear sway bars

17x8 and 17x9 wheels

225/45 and 245/45 tires

Pictures:

Homework
Homework New Reader
12/19/17 6:50 p.m.

Welcome!

The pictures aren't showing up for me :/

I'd try using Imgur,  it seems to work pretty well and is relatively easy to use.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes, and maybe even seeing it in person once it's out on the road!

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/19/17 6:56 p.m.

Yep, no pics...

sounds cool, can wait to see!

J0nesy
J0nesy New Reader
12/20/17 6:22 a.m.

Tried a different hosting site and updated the pics, hopefully they show up now.

These are the wheels I bought.  Mainly because they were relatively cheap, and weren't one of the 2000 Torq Thrust variations.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/20/17 6:46 a.m.

Sweet car!  I learned to shift three-on-the-tree in a '63 Bel Air all-door.  Nice that you're starting with a factory air car, that will make things easier down the road.  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/20/17 7:31 a.m.

EXCELLENT choice of wheels. Thank you for not going with run of the mill Torq Thrust/ Foose wannabe wheels. This will be one cool cruiser.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/20/17 8:35 a.m.

Damn! Who doesn't doesn't love a 63? 

I once did a ton of chassis modifications for a 62 that got turned into a 3 wheeling lowrider. (They pretty much share the same chassis.) 

They're not exactly the stiffest chassis available. laugh

Regrettably, I lost all the pictures of it in a house fire.

Pretty sure that car is in Japan now. 

Dave
Dave Reader
12/20/17 9:28 a.m.

Nice!!!  I am working on a similar project. 1961 Pontiac Laurentian. It is a Canadian car so all Chevy under the body. Mine is a 261cid straight six with a three speed manual.

I am also doing a front disc swap. I bought mine from Speedway. Just arrived and in the process of installing. Quite cheap. The bracket look a little wimpy on the website but are good and beefy in person.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deluxe-Disc-Brake-Kit-1955-1964-Chevy-Full-size-Car-Stock-Spindle,4625.html

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
12/20/17 9:36 a.m.

Great project. Love the faded paint, worth keeping it as is. While the LS is cool, something about a straight-6 I like. I would put forced induction on it (turbo or supercharger), and EFI. Second choice would be a 348/409. But that's just me.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/20/17 9:37 a.m.

Crew cab, 17" steelies, straight six?

I approve!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/20/17 9:45 a.m.
81cpcamaro said:

Great project. Love the faded paint, worth keeping it as is. While the LS is cool, something about a straight-6 I like. I would put forced induction on it (turbo or supercharger), and EFI. Second choice would be a 348/409. But that's just me.

+1. I think a tuned straight six would be super cool in this car.

J0nesy
J0nesy New Reader
12/20/17 11:42 a.m.
81cpcamaro said:

Planning to keep the patina intact.  Might look into the flat clear if it won't effect the look too much.  I have looked into doing forced induction on the sixxer.  But it ultimately comes down to cost.  The LS is already paid for.  It was originally bought to LS swap my 64 Chevy II, but ended up selling the car before that could happen.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but to boost the 230 would be at least $3-4k.  Intake manifold, exhaust manifold, boost apparatus, piping, efi/carb. Plus I would still need to swap out the transmission for something with more than 2 gears.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/20/17 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

"Crew Cab" made me snarf!

J0nesy
J0nesy New Reader
12/21/17 8:10 p.m.

So change of plans on the wheels.  The baby moon shown on the wheel on the manufacturers website doesn't actually fit on the wheel and is just for 'display' purposes.  So I canceled the order.  Instead I decided to go with the new aluminum rally wheels from American Racing in the same 17x8 and 17x9 staggered fitment.  Going to run the 'derby' caps for now since they come with the wheels, but may change them up later on.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
12/23/17 11:54 p.m.

Yes, another 60's BelAir sedan!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/24/17 4:42 p.m.

There's a guy over on the garage journal board who has a highly modified '63 Chevy.  I don't remember his screen name but he's in the Twin Cities area of minnesota, and alsways seems to be happy to discuss upgrades.  Check around over there and you should be able to find him.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/24/17 5:47 p.m.

Having seen those rallye wheels in person, i approve. But you need to nail the stance/sidewall/fender gap for it to look right....

Id also seriously consider a rewire, as well as sound deadening and insulation during the work. 

I really miss my 64 impala 4 door. Never should have sold it. But then i may have never gotten here.....

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
12/25/17 4:23 a.m.

Very Cool project!!

We also cruise a more door....it'sa 59 Studebaker Lark.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
12/25/17 5:22 a.m.

I owned your car's twin brother, same color only a three on the tree no air . The trunk of that car was bigger than some apartments I have lived in. I think you're going to enjoy this project!

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/25/17 1:24 p.m.

I had a 63 2 door, 6 cylinder 3 speed.  Loads of fun until I wrecked it going ice fishing.  Wish  I had the money at the time to fix it.

J0nesy
J0nesy New Reader
2/15/18 7:06 p.m.

Little bit of an update.  I've been slowly swapping out parts on the car.

So far I have accomplished

- Front disc brake kit

- Power brake booster

- Front sway bar

- Front shocks

- new front coil springs (they were supposed to be lowering springs, but they must be for a big block car or something.  Will probably end up cutting a coil or two once the LS is swapped in)

The pre engine swap to do list is shrinking slowly

- Run all new brake lines

- Install new power steering gear box (may have to space the swaybar down for clearance)

- Swap out rear shocks and springs

- Install rear sway bar

I think I have all the major parts for the LS swap piled up in the garage already.  Ended up ordering HP Tuners as well for the project.  I was going to keep the engine stock, but Brian Tooley Racing ran a sale on camshafts and I accidently clicked the order button.  Hence the primary reason for the HP Tuners order.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
2/15/18 9:30 p.m.

I had a 26,000 mile 64 more door Biscayne with a 6 and a glide and put that style Rallye wheels on in 15".  Had to sell it when I fired the wife. Lawyer said give the ex the newest car you have and sell 1/2 of the other cars.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
2/16/18 7:59 p.m.
J0nesy
J0nesy New Reader
3/21/18 6:45 a.m.

Finally got the brakes and suspension wrapped up on the project.

The power disc front brakes were a fairly straight forward install. Front sway bar was a bit of a tight fit with the new power steering box. The front springs were a pain to get in even with a couple different styles of spring compressors in use. And I hate how new front springs make the car look like it is dragging tail, but they should hopefully settle in once I get a few miles on the car.

The rear springs, shocks and sway bar were a breeze to install.

So with the pre engine swap list pretty much complete, it is time to pull the six banger out and get it ready for the V8. I'll have to fab up a transmission cross member, but I'm hoping the engine mount kit left over from my Chevy II will work for the Bel Air.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/21/18 4:26 p.m.

Man I was Going to Jump In Here and Tell You about the 63 My Little Brother Built For an Ungreatful Daughter, But Man THAT Is Well Done, Only  Thing ever broke on his was an Upper Ball Joint. Enjoy the drive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gCrBZ5U9J23NueUDVatmpcsoJMmBNfLRyRe7nOrFmU2tyU1b6jMaiYraZ3tb1zUZ