1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/10/12 8:41 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

The poles are sched 80 pipe, very thick wall, they arent really flexing and I have no worries about them. I can still see the flex at the join, its not terrible and I bounced it hard with my wife in the hammock and it was holding, I'd just like to shore it up a bit more.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
8/11/12 7:48 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: In reply to dculberson: [...]and I bounced it hard with my wife in the hammock and it was holding[...]

Hehehe...

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/11/12 10:38 a.m.

You should get some more batteries and enter that in the $2012 ($2013?) Challenge...

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/11/12 3:51 p.m.
noddaz wrote: You should get some more batteries and enter that in the $2012 ($2013?) Challenge...

LOL...I think it falls short of a few rules. But as it stands it will be ready for the $2012 challenge and would run in the under $500 class :) (if there was one) But I've actually dropped it to 24v from 36v to slow it down, not speed it up.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/11/12 4:08 p.m.

Ok, so a productive day but still a bit behind schedule. On a rain delay right now so time for an update.

I kept thinking on how to brace up the rear better and I looked at the original frame for inspiration. So I made this support braces that pick up the old shock mount and then carry the load forward into the new frame. Soooo many angles and my stupid HF chop saw does not have a 22.5 degree mark, measured it out so I could make my pretty 45s and a lot of cutting and welding later it's done. They still bolt to the rear shock points so it can still be disassembled.

Another view, its the little details that no one will see that take time, like where it bolts in the back I welded an insert into the box tube to help it retain its strength.

Next I had to make the control linkages. I designed it similar to the original, I just make it new and improved it a little.

Another view. The bottom rod (going to brown box) controls the throttle, its just off/on. When the rod moves to the rear the throttle goes on. The top rod (to the white bit) controls the brake, when the throttle rod moves forward (throttle off) it catches the top rod and applies the brake.

Back up top the rest of the linkage to allow a hand control.

Much more fiddly detail here than is apparent, this took a few hours to make. I could have just drilled and cotterpinned the pivot shaft but I threaded it instead. I could have welded the handle on but in the interest of making everything removable I slotted it then threaded the pivot shaft on that side and flatted two sides so it fit in the slot of the handle. Fiddly work.

I still have to mount the steering and make "tie rods" and then mount the batteries. Overall its on the downhill now. I should finish the major build tomorrow. Then its time to tear it down and paint it. Has to be ready to roll next saturday...ugh.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
8/11/12 11:34 p.m.

So Lowering it to 24v worked out well? Glad to hear it.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/12/12 8:32 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: So Lowering it to 24v worked out well? Glad to hear it.

Worked very well, thanks for the suggestion!

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/12/12 1:07 p.m.

More done, taking a break from the heat then I have to mount the charger port and on/off switch and I can tear it down for paint.

Started by mounting the steering rack, no good photos of that, just a piece of angle iron across the frame rails to bolt it to.

Then I made some tie rods. Used some 1/2 inch flat stock. Folded one end over for thickness.

Then drilled it for a bushing, just a plastic bushing usually used for running electrical wires through metal.

Welded a piece of round tube to the other end with another bushing.

Then bolted it all together, steering done!

The final bits of fabrication were to weld some angle iron across the frame to make battery mounts and a piece of square tube welded in the back to make an umbrella mount. It's really starting to look like something now :)

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/12/12 4:13 p.m.

Aaaand the final bits of fabrication are done.

Made a steering column brace. Tried to use a piece of 5/8 id pipe for the column to run through but it was too tight, then I saw the old wheel bearings from the front wheels sitting there (they came with 5/8 bearings but I needed 3/4) Perfect. Cut off a piece of conduit that was sitting around, bearing was a perfect press fit.

Then I just had to mount the charging port, just a quick sheetmetal tab welded to the frame for this.

And finally I mounted the original forward/off/reverse switch. Its just an on/off now since reverse doesn't work. Just drilled and tapped the tubing for a couple of screws. Good enough.

Nice thing is all these were mounted up front originally so I can shorten up a lot of the wiring and clean things up a bit.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/13/12 2:58 p.m.

Great job. how did you fold the 1/2" flat stock for the tie rod?

RE: the steering brace, it's amazing how much of a fab job can be taken care of just by having a lot of parts around.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/13/12 5:17 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Great job. how did you fold the 1/2" flat stock for the tie rod? RE: the steering brace, it's amazing how much of a fab job can be taken care of just by having a lot of parts around.

I just put it in a vice and bent it over 90 degrees then bashed it flat with a hammer, low tech fab work.

Yes, a modicum of basic fabrication tools and a crapload of spare bits goes a long way.

I tore it all apart when I got home today, going to prep the frame for paint after dinner. I'll have to post a pic of the bare frame, it looks pretty cool.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/13/12 7:15 p.m.

So, down to the bare frame again...

Then a little primer

And some paint...same for the engine sub frame too.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
8/14/12 1:48 p.m.

This is my favorite project on GRM right now!

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/14/12 2:25 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: This is my favorite project on GRM right now!

Many thanks, this was really just a hair brained idea that had spousal support so I went for it. It's been less than 30 days from idea to now.

But it's a lot of fun because, well it's supposed to be fun! There's no rules about how you are supposed to build a motorized hammock, no sanctioning body, just creativity and fabrication. I have to admit it's been some of the best fun I've had in the shop for a long time. I don't do well with rules I guess (which is why the Yugo is being built by noone's rules as well)

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/16/12 7:02 p.m.

Painted, reassembled and wired up...ready to go!

Getting a good charge

They see me rollin.....

View from he driver's seat

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/12 7:19 p.m.

Are you going to cover the batteries? I think one of these would fit the theme:

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/16/12 7:27 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Are you going to cover the batteries? I think one of these would fit the theme:

I won't finish it before the test run saturday (Toby Keith concert) but before the Buffet concert I'll be making a fiberglass sand dune that covers all the mechanical bits (wheels too) so it looks like a sand dune hovering along. There will be blue leds underneath so at night it will look like a sand dune floating in water.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/16/12 7:41 p.m.

First drive video

http://youtu.be/8ZvNx03Rne0

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/12 7:47 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: I won't finish it before the test run saturday (Toby Keith concert) but before the Buffet concert I'll be making a fiberglass sand dune that covers all the mechanical bits (wheels too) so it looks like a sand dune hovering along. There will be blue leds underneath so at night it will look like a sand dune floating in water.

Even better!

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/18/12 11:32 a.m.

Threw a quick string of lights on for decoration. We have many more on the way but today is just the shake down run.

And then broke it down and packed it into the back of the wagon. Breakdown for loading has been minimized, I only have to pull the batteries, remove the steering and disconnect the hand control linkage so it will fold forward. Tailgate doesn't quite close the whole way but that's what ratchet straps are for :)

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/18/12 6:27 p.m.

Hammock was a huge hit at the Toby Keith tailgate. The official photographer even came and got some photos and video of it. Now I really cant wait to get it fully finished and take it to Buffet.

Minor technical glitch with a loose contact in the on/off switch. I think I need to work out exactly what the lines in and out are doing (there are 4) and see if I can switch over to a new switch.

Lots of cops on hand and due to some stupid new ordinance they weren't allowing ezup tents so we got yelled at right away as we were setting up. Thought for sure they were gonna bust our chops about the hammock but they were amused by it and didnt have any issues.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/18/12 7:32 p.m.

Video from the tailgate

http://youtu.be/VSWllPQGlWQ

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
8/18/12 8:05 p.m.

Needs moar cupholder Awesome ride.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/18/12 8:17 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Needs moar cupholder Awesome ride.

This is just the "functional" stage. Now that proof of concept has been realized the fun stuff can be added. Today we determined the need for cupholders and a bottle opener to add to the list of things already needed.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/20/12 7:36 p.m.

Started making up the framework for the fiberglass sand dune to cover all the mechanical bits. Took way longer than expected so no fiberglass tonite. I need to try and round out some of the corners a bit more but it's a sand dune, it's supposed to be irregular....that's my story and Im sticking to it. The wheels are completely covered with just a few inches of ground clearance so hopefully they wont be visible and it will just look like a hovering sand dune.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nIt102vRKCH1jqi4D2XCNqajP7XWQ2rKBb5Wv18yyxe3Aju3zPcYCItEdo34loEB