1 2
NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/8/13 6:41 p.m.

Nice PMSC sticker too.

I am heading down your way Saturday with my boys to help run the Galway Cavendish Forest Rally. First time I have brought the boys to a performance rally.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
8/9/13 9:47 a.m.
HappyJack wrote: Some pics from practice.

BOSS!!!

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
8/9/13 1:38 p.m.

Great build, one of these days I'm going to try roundy-round racing. Thanks for sharing.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
8/11/13 7:44 p.m.

looks even sweeter on the track!!!

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
8/31/13 10:57 a.m.

Well there have been a couple nights of racing now. And there have been some teething pains.

I had some mystery oil leaks, that only leaked on the track at speed. So struggling to find those for a couple weeks made it really hard to drive while running over your own oil.

Also had some driver brain farts....

Only last feature of the regular season the oil leaks were all found and fixed. A new set of gears helped too. But after the concrete block incident, which happened that night, the oil pan was pushed up. I had low oil pressure in the corners, and the engine started to over heat. So I parked it to save the engine.

Btw that is warpedredneck in the 9 car beside me. Who is doing a lot better than I for the season.

One big race weekend left in October. So I have time to replace the oil pan, check the oil pick up, and go over the car.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
8/31/13 12:33 p.m.

I've put together a parts kit or 2 for the October weekend Jack, hopefully we wont need anything, but if the poo hits the fan we'll be prepared. How did the gear work for you?

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
8/31/13 4:38 p.m.

The gear was a definite improvement in practice. But never really got a chance to truly try it out with the oil leak, then the block problem. I babied it during the feature at first to make sure everything was ok. Car had a shake, turns out the ball joint on the centre link at the steering box is screwed. Then the oil pressure, then the over heating.

Gonna make Autumn Colours, but I'm hoping to get a crate engine over the winter, and probably a different tranny. I just used what I had because I ran outta money.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
8/31/13 5:59 p.m.

Totally understandable! I am a fan of the crate, it "suits my style" if that makes any sense, but I am a bigger fan of "using what you have or have available" do you have another pan? I have a couple on the shelf I could clean up for you.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
8/31/13 10:34 p.m.

Thanks for the update, and for not being too ashamed to post the "inappropriate parking spot" photo! I'm eagerly awaiting the opening of Dominion Raceway (https://www.facebook.com/DominionRaceway?fref=ts) at which point I can pick up a beater roundy round car!

Keep up the good work! What track are you running at, do they have a website?

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
9/4/13 4:40 a.m.

The track website is, Peterborough Speedway

They also have a YouTube channel and I see last night they made a driver profile video of me. I'm famous!

Driver profile

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/4/13 7:19 a.m.

In reply to HappyJack:

wow, now that's cool they'll do that for their drivers

Congrats

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/4/13 7:24 a.m.

This is a very cool thread, well done on building a cheap racer.

Sorry, but I have to add to yourself induced embarrassment, but how on earth did you end up on top of that concrete block like that?

t25torx
t25torx Reader
9/4/13 9:14 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: This is a very cool thread, well done on building a cheap racer. Sorry, but I have to add to yourself induced embarrassment, but how on earth did you end up on top of that concrete block like that?

+1 curious minds want to know.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
9/5/13 8:29 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: This is a very cool thread, well done on building a cheap racer. Sorry, but I have to add to yourself induced embarrassment, but how on earth did you end up on top of that concrete block like that?

Ok,ok,ok.

I was told I shouldn't admit it. That I should say it was aliens.

So here is what happened. I was black flagged for too much smoking from an oil leak. So I was sitting in the infield waiting for the race to finish. I was ticked off, and frustrated. I had been fighting this mystery oil leak for weeks. I thought I had it fixed.

So the official tells me at the end of the race to cut across the track to exit, instead of driving around and spreading oil. I looked out my side window, seen to opening in the blocks and was gonna slip out there. But I sit so low in the car, when I got turned I couldn't see the blocks in front of me.

When I first hit the block, I thought I had just hung up my low hanging exhaust on the asphalt as I drove off the pavement to the grass. So I gave it so more gas,...actually I stomped on it. It wasn't until I was pointing skyward that I realized what happened.

Or it was aliens..

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/5/13 8:35 a.m.

In reply to HappyJack:

I woulda told 'em the reincarnation of Dale Sr. spun me on the final turn while I was leading.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/5/13 11:01 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/5/13 11:32 a.m.
HappyJack wrote: I was told I shouldn't admit it. That I should say it was aliens. So here is what happened. I was black flagged for too much smoking from an oil leak. So I was sitting in the infield waiting for the race to finish. I was ticked off, and frustrated. I had been fighting this mystery oil leak for weeks. I thought I had it fixed. So the official tells me at the end of the race to cut across the track to exit, instead of driving around and spreading oil. I looked out my side window, seen to opening in the blocks and was gonna slip out there. But I sit so low in the car, when I got turned I couldn't see the blocks in front of me. When I first hit the block, I thought I had just hung up my low hanging exhaust on the asphalt as I drove off the pavement to the grass. So I gave it so more gas,...actually I stomped on it. It wasn't until I was pointing skyward that I realized what happened. Or it was aliens..

White lies dude, you really should have lied. I think this really is worthy of the awesome parking thread now!

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
9/7/13 6:38 p.m.

all i'm gonna say about "the incident" is I went arount the track, there was a bright light, coulda been the sun, coulda been aliens, then bam! Jack was up on the concrete block. so I don't know

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/7/13 7:34 p.m.

Great thread! The 'on the blocks' tale is a lot like my last black flag, we will just leave it at that.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
10/6/13 5:40 a.m.

one week to go jack, are you ready? any obscure stuff you need me to bring?

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
10/7/13 4:50 p.m.
warpedredneck wrote: one week to go jack, are you ready? any obscure stuff you need me to bring?

Nothing a crate motor won't fix, but I'm as ready as I ever will be. More power will have to wait til next season.

A couple more photos, and that should finish up this thread.

Me, getting used to RWD.

Apparently you don't mash the throttle coming out of a corner like you can with a FWD.

And of course I have to have a good shot of the GRM sticker...

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
10/7/13 6:43 p.m.

I am not heading over until noon on Friday, if you think of anything let me know!

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
11/14/13 3:42 p.m.

Well the awards banquet is tonight. And I know the "incident" will be brought up, so I decided to have fun with it. I'm going to wear this t shirt to the banquet.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
11/15/13 4:45 p.m.

Excellent pre-emptive strategy!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
liO97tnlogTuKG0IHYpphZZjJ1V0x6yxsOHnHmrKWFchYbjCYLJUlcvKDXImEmoV