1 2 3 4
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/28/11 8:45 p.m.

A couple of years ago this was given to me by a local who needed it moved out of his ex's barn, for the right price...

I got it back, it is rusty, it had no floors, but it was the right model, clear title and its mine. First we rebuilt floors using 20 gauge steel. then we installed Camaro seats salvaged from the CMC car.

This car is done in true GRM style, no cheap method ignored.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We adapted the rollbar that was on the S10 for $2009.

Photobucket

It went into my shop and sat around for a while, then we got it running but found there was no compression at all. I sat on it a while longer when a 93 5.0 engine that was rebuilt was offered to me in swap for another car i had around. (it was also a freebee) This engine is very healthy, I expect a decent 350 horses. (Oops edit: 250hp)

Photobucket

The engine went in, with MSD 6AL, MSD dizzy and the Carter 625 from the S10 Challenger. The headers were on the car when I got it.

A cheap set of gauges giving me some much needed info on the fluids in the engine bay helped out.

When we tried to drive it, the auto couldn't make up its mind what gears I had, just too tired, so out it came. Sean, who also attended the $2009 challenge with me before heading out to Afghanistan. He rebuilt the C4 for me, we added a 2800 stall converter and after a GRM appropriate amount of time reinstalled the trans. It sat on those blocks for at least a year. I had a B&M shift kit from the G body parts car used on the S10 build and yep, it was sourced with a new C4 cable and install kit. The Chev cable doesn't work, ask me how I know

Photobucket

I fitted rims off one of my worn out work Grand Marquis' and last week installed some decent tires.

Photobucket

I have had a plan for this car since I first saw it. It is to be my fast attack ZAV, so stay tuned for the improvements with that goal in mind.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/28/11 9:01 p.m.

I do love Ranchero's. This one is especially cool to me.

If you have any more of those style wheels laying around let me know. Ive got two right now.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
11/29/11 7:46 a.m.

GRM or no, you still shouldn't work under the car while its on cinder blocks.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/11 7:51 a.m.

Driving that Saturday...?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/29/11 8:16 a.m.

ZAV and MSD?

I had always thought that ZAV's needed to be electronics free. Or is there an allowance for the basic electronics in a basic ignition module?

(not sure WHY ZAV's had to be electronic free, since I don't really see the relationship between zombies and an EMP....)

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/29/11 8:18 a.m.

LOL- I just noticed the column and floor shifters. Are you going to leave them both in?

Pretty sweet. Trade a paperclip for a ZAV Ranchero.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/29/11 8:26 a.m.

Trust me, cinderblocks are safe, it was on them for a year and didn't move an inch.

At this point the column shifter is still needed to start it, at least until I remove the switch.

It has electronic ignition, but I like a good spark and the engine has potential.

The brake lines have all been replaced, it actually has factory front discs, I'm now thinking about a booster. 4000lbs and decent hp, might want to stop it sometime.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/29/11 8:26 a.m.

That 5.0 better be real healthy. A streetable 350hp with what looks to be iron heads is pretty hard to achieve with a stock stroke 5.0.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/29/11 8:33 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: That 5.0 better be real healthy. A streetable 350hp with what looks to be iron heads is pretty hard to achieve with a stock stroke 5.0.

That was my bad, fat fingers, I meant 250hp.

stan wrote: Driving that Saturday...?

No, I think I will have the trailer to pick up the Lemons Camaro.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
11/29/11 8:35 a.m.

Whatever you do, please leave it brown. Flat black ZAVs are played out.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/29/11 8:39 a.m.

I dig the lightbar, needs KC Hiliters though.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/29/11 8:41 a.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: Whatever you do, please leave it brown. Flat black ZAVs are played out.

^^^^^ What this guy said.

Metallic Brown is an awesome color.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/29/11 2:10 p.m.

Those lights on the bar are KC Highlighters. Lol.

Those that know, do the P71 springs fit this ute?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
11/29/11 2:16 p.m.

Do they make a Bull Bar/Brush Guard for it or do you make your own?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
11/29/11 2:45 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Trust me, cinderblocks are safe, it was on them for a year and didn't move an inch.

I know a couple dead or badly injured guys that said the same thing.

Great car...err...truck...err...ZAV. That body Ranch with a roll bar is just so right. I agree on the current hue as well.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/29/11 4:33 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Do they make a Bull Bar/Brush Guard for it or do you make your own?

I have removed one from Sean's old parts Ramcharger and a rear bar, read as really heavy rear bar.

It will definitely stay brown not sure on what brown yet, I have an idea

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/29/11 5:29 p.m.

Happy now ultracycle, (BTW thanks for caring)

Photobucket

Bumper pix

Rear, with hitch and reversing lights, solid heavy square tube.

Photobucket

Front is heavy also but not so much

Photobucket

The beast under cover, at last

Photobucket

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/29/11 6:15 p.m.

heres some more tips from some fellow oz folk lol...

http://youtu.be/iS8KXHBCimo

I dig

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/29/11 6:29 p.m.

Jack stands are good. Your Ranchero is awesome. Any chance you can fit an 03+ Crown Vic subframe/suspension under there?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
11/29/11 7:51 p.m.

Love that rear bumper, and I agree on brown. If I ever get a truck, I will get massive piece of iron to put back there.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
11/29/11 7:55 p.m.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/29/11 9:35 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Those lights on the bar are KC Highlighters. Lol.

Let me be more specific:

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/29/11 10:36 p.m.

Don't worry more lighting is on the way, like 130w high beams and two more sets of spots. Then add a rear light and a swivel mounted spot.

Plus there are plans for the bed area.

Love that link Donaldson, I have about all their ideas planned for the truck/car and a couple extra.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
12/1/11 1:11 p.m.

I uh... I think I love this build. Carry on.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
12/1/11 1:46 p.m.

Noice! Ive always like those grand marquis mesh rims and i agree on leaving it brown. btw ive used cinder blocks before on its upright position... on its side itll just crumble...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t6YhhiaV0xTnzlgQUDAujs9zFM0VNgbxgGbNvqvv9pnPrgSze5Zx5zaC1VpHQY8x