1 2
carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 3:43 p.m.

I started building this a few months ago. It's a 74 Super Beetle 1303. I added Porsche 928 Brembos in the front, 944 Aluminum Trailing arms in the rear and 18" Turbo Twists. The aluminum block engine is rated at 230hp. It is from a 93 Legend. 6 speed transaxle. This drivetrain puts the diff in the middle of the engine sump. I was able to preserve all of the torsion bar tube and even the left frame horn (which is cut off in the picture below but was later welded back on). I have a long way to go but I've made a little progress. At this point the rear subframe is more or less complete and the chassis is supporting the drivetrain in the last pictures. I don't think there is another drivetrain option that could move the weight bias any further forward while preserving the rear suspension.
I tidied up a few little things today. Here are some More pictures, including a view of the top of the engine through the back window. I’m exploring the idea of putting a glass cover over it so you can see the pretty engine, like some Italian exotics. Incidentally, this engine is a cousin to the 1st gen NSX V6, which is a C32A vs this C32B. Although they share basic architecture such as a 90 degree layout (vs the later 60 degree J series) the NSX version makes 260-290hp with VTEC as opposed to my 230hp non VTEC engine. Somewhat ironically, the NSX engine is transverse.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 3:45 p.m.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 3:46 p.m.

I was strongly considering flipping an Audi gearbox and going with a rear engine Audi 2.7tt, but it gets pretty gnarly to position the starter and stuff. 

For a mid engine Audi setup you would have your crank pulley about 6 inches further forward. The Acura setup places the axle right about in the middle of the pan. Here is a nice clean version of the one I'm using.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 5:18 p.m.

Gear shift linkage. Connects to the VW shift rod at the back of the pan.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 5:19 p.m.

Test fit drivetrain cart

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 5:20 p.m.

Video of changing gears viewed from the back of the car.
https://youtu.be/3KtkHgQJcc8

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 5:20 p.m.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 5:24 p.m.

I decided to extend the cable end with some 1/2” tubing instead of the roller. I got it together and stepped on the pedal and it feels nice and smooth and like a clutch pedal with that over center feel. I won’t know for sure if it works until it’s running.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 5:25 p.m.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/10/19 5:26 p.m.

Moved to my mountain house

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/19 5:43 p.m.

WHAT this is incredible! Love the Porsche wheels too! It's basically a Porsche anyway. Rear engine, longitudinal 6 cylinder, RWD, body designed by a guy named Porsche... love it!

mannydantyla
mannydantyla New Reader
1/10/19 6:09 p.m.

Nice work dude!! 

I used to have a Legend (except it was an Acura brand) and it was really fast. But you gotta watch out for blown head gaskets, that's what killed mine. IIRC the theory was that the ERG valve would get clogged, causing one of the back cylinders to get hotter than the others. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/10/19 6:51 p.m.

Cool to see you working in it again. Where did you have the build thread before STF? I've seen it somewhere 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/10/19 7:12 p.m.

Yowza!

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/11/19 12:01 p.m.
bigfranks84 said:

Cool to see you working in it again. Where did you have the build thread before STF? I've seen it somewhere 

Thanks! It has been on volksrods.com and the Samba. I just started working on it again after the move and putting together an RV. I'm trying to decide how to cover the engine. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/11/19 12:18 p.m.
mannydantyla said:

Nice work dude!! 

I used to have a Legend (except it was an Acura brand) and it was really fast. But you gotta watch out for blown head gaskets, that's what killed mine. IIRC the theory was that the ERG valve would get clogged, causing one of the back cylinders to get hotter than the others. 

I was just about to say, as someone who was part of the Acura Legend community for a while (except I had a G1, with the transverse 2.7L), head gaskets on the longitudinal C-series were a big issue. Also, if you feel the need for mor grunt, you can bolt the C35 from an RL up.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/19 12:20 p.m.

freaking awesome. I will need to do some axles like you did this year so I will study how you did that. Thanks!

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/11/19 1:41 p.m.
NickD said:
mannydantyla said:

Nice work dude!! 

I was just about to say, as someone who was part of the Acura Legend community for a while (except I had a G1, with the transverse 2.7L), head gaskets on the longitudinal C-series were a big issue. Also, if you feel the need for mor grunt, you can bolt the C35 from an RL up.

Yes I think the C35 will bolt up. However, I think the rated HP for the C32 series II (which is what I have) and the C35 is the same, at 230. Also, the C35 has a balance shaft and is heavier. Having said that, if I need another engine, and can't  can't find a C32-II (they are getting pretty old), C35 is definitely an option. 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/11/19 1:48 p.m.
Robbie said:

freaking awesome. I will need to do some axles like you did this year so I will study how you did that. Thanks!

Thanks. I think the pictures are mostly self-explanatory. When I did this in the past I had a lathe and a press. This time, I bought a big Chinese drill bit (1 3/16" ? I think) to drill out one side of the tube for the Acura side. The VW shaft was just a tad small for the tube, so I shimmed it. Then it's weld a little, check the out of round with the dial indicator setup, pound on it with a hammer, and try to plan the next weld to draw it back toward true.  I ended up about .040" out of round on the worst one. Good enough for a test drive, but probably a bit worrisome when I'm trying to outrun a Porsche prototype car on the Mulsane straight. So I'll likely be redoing them. I calculated the strength to be a little higher than either shaft stock, but this is assuming my welds are strong enough, likely a dubious assumption.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/11/19 1:50 p.m.

I made shafts similarly for this transverse Ford 2.3t powered 914. They worked great, but that was back when I had better tools.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
1/11/19 1:59 p.m.

Nice!  I’ve seen a Honda V6 powered Beetle at a Lemons rally but didn’t take a close enough look at it.  Going to be keeping an eye on this thread.

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
1/11/19 11:47 p.m.

This is very cool 

clshore
clshore Reader
1/12/19 7:32 a.m.

Hmmm, I'll bet that motor/trans package would fit into the rear of a Spitfire, living entirely behind the cockpit rear panel.

It's possible that there would be no external clue to what lurks within.

ckuhns
ckuhns GRM+ Member
1/14/19 11:10 a.m.

Super cool! I've got the White/Orange Subaru swapped one. You came in to my work to ask about it!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/14/19 11:30 a.m.

In reply to carwhisperer :

Need something like this to cover the gearbox out the ass end.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2SAGsAEBxqFVsOwdLpSvJOOnE4sCsM7D66RPME4UJQdaRMRnEfZwFDaz7MazZUAI