1 ... 9 10 11
classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
7/7/17 2:29 p.m.

Well, dangit photobucket. Luckily, You can see more recent images still, thanks to Google Photos. I suppose I'll have to go back and re-link many of these..

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
7/7/17 2:54 p.m.

Im in the same boat I lost all of my build photos...

mck1117
mck1117 Reader
8/1/17 4:51 p.m.

You wouldn't happen to still have the Merkur shell, specifically the steering rack, would you?

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
12/7/17 6:17 p.m.

Contrary to Popular belief, this build thread isn't over yet. I have another week at home to work on this before being busy for a while, then needing to move it up to Michigan to start in the real world!

The last day or two I've been trying to work out what my transmission crossmember and mount will look like, around the cold and rain here. 

This picture shows what i have to work with: 2nd from the top is the stock transmission mount. Height and location of the mounting bolts for the center aren't right.

The top/cardboard is what the horizontal piece would need to look like now to clear the humps in the transmission. 

Now, the lower two pieces is where it gets interesting. I bought the bottom mount for $5 thinking it would be all I needed - today, I ran into the top piece. I had it tucked away somewhere, and now I'm considering the merits of trying to use it - problem is I can't remember where it came from to research what it would look like in place!

I was able to find the following picture on Google for comparison.

This person just used both. The advantage to using the more "flat" mount is that it could tuck up in the frame of the truck, the disadvantage is I think it could end up being harder to build a mount for, and I really don't know how it looked in original form.  I'll snap some pictures under the truck tomorrow when it's light out for better comparison.

Doug

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
12/8/17 8:12 p.m.

Okay, so as it turns out - the mystery piece above is an exhaust hanger mount. Sweet. Not a good transmission mount!

I dug through some more scrap bin today and found these mounts - I think they came with the parts Merkur a while back. One of these pieces was free-floating, but the other had to be cut off a pipe it was welded on to (in the background)

The slots were cut in the pieces already, which is why I really wanted to use them. Here you can see they overlapped and needed to be trimmed down.

Next step is always CAD model, here they're already trimmed to size.

Marked the steel to size, and cut those back tabs off:

Had to go out and buy the hardware, but then mocked them up. The fit worked out pretty well even before welding.

Welded and cleaned up. This side will face the ground normally.

Here's the mounting side.

I decided I might as well use the exhaust hanger, and cut off the tab on the driver's side because it would be unusable, thanks to the parking brake cable.

SO in the next few days, if the snow/sleet stops, I can get back on the ground and try to start making the rest of the crossmember to weld to this mount.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
12/8/17 8:57 p.m.

Yes! I'm so excited to see this build back in action. Moving to MI huh? Maybe I'll even be able to see this thing in person one day!

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
12/9/17 10:48 a.m.

Proof that we got snow in Georgia!

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
12/9/17 11:24 p.m.

Didn't get a ton today, and didn't take many pictures while I was working. I did, though, get the transmission positioned where it needed to be in the frame, as it was more skewed before. I did have to cut the trans tunnel some, but the floor is rusty enough in enough places that I don't feel too bad. It's all for the cause!

It's a tight fit but a little better now. Hopefully I can take all pieces of this a little further in the next few days and get this portion wrapped up!

Edit: I've been working backwards now, trying to fill in some of the pages of missing pictures. I think I've covered the last 2 or 3 pages, and will keep working back!

1 ... 9 10 11
Our Preferred Partners
zfLxM9dRze7kh3jt03yBdvUgBKOVHSTd