1 2 3 4 5
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/1/18 3:18 p.m.

I love this.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/18 3:53 p.m.

Oh, I so want to do something like this to a mini someday. 

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
2/2/18 8:33 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Yeah, this is a culmination of a dream of mine for about 25 years.  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/18 8:38 a.m.

In reply to SLGGR :

Congrats for getting to do your dream! That has to feel good!

schnapsmann
schnapsmann New Reader
2/3/18 11:08 a.m.

In reply to SLGGR :

I have one of these cars also.  I'll post some pictures later but I have a suggestion for you.  Move your radiator as far forward as you can.  This frees up more space behind the radiator and fans for better cooling.  Mine is a regular Mini and I don't have the space you do in the Clubman to do this.  When I drive aggressively, mine runs a bit hot.  Save your self from the same problem and move the radiator forward.

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
2/3/18 12:18 p.m.

Crazy that someone makes a kit to do such a swap! That should be quite fun. Like a Mini 6r4!

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
2/3/18 2:10 p.m.

In reply to schnapsmann :

Oh boy do I ever have questions.   Which one is yours?   I’ve been wanting to talk to one of the owners of the other builds.   I was actually thinking about bumping the radiator and running a big two fan set up.   How does it handle?   I assume the stopping and acceleration are phenomenal.   Have you vented the “trunk”?   

schnapsmann
schnapsmann New Reader
2/4/18 7:02 a.m.

In reply to SLGGR :

Mine is the Orange one on Minitec's home page.  I agree with you moving the radiator forward.  In the "stock" position, it is too close to the gas tank for good air flow.  I'd give anything for just 2 more inches of clearance.  My Midi runs at about 180 to 190 degrees but if I'm waiting at a light it climbs to around 210.  That makes me nervous.  Handling is awesome.  It does push every now and then but nothing a quick stab of the throttle won't cure.  Acceleration is phenomenal.  0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds.  It doesn't matter what gear you are in, it will push you back in the seat and go. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to brake better.  I'm not happy with that.  No, I haven't vented the trunk like BJ did.  I do haave a sort of prop rod that I use to keep the trunk lid open about 4 inches on really hot days.  It seems to help.

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
3/20/18 10:51 a.m.

Small update.....getting closer and I have the first Track Night locally in late April.    Should have it running in the next week but, unfortunately, I'm still waiting on my wheels to show up so I won't be able to drive it.....oh well, plenty to do.    Got all the fuel lines run, brake and clutch lines run, cooling system fully plumbed and I'm just working on wiring.    Wiring is not my forte so I'm taking my time and asking 5000 questions......it's interesting melding the new AEM stand alone with the old mini wiring especially when electrical circuitry doesn't really make sense in my head.   If anyone has a difficult cooling system to plumb with odd bends and tight quarters you should look into Viper Performancein the UK, they make a "superflex" silicone hose that will twist and turn into bizarre shapes and still not collapse(why this is a rarity these days and ONLY available overseas is beyond me) https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/silicone-hoses_9853_flexible-silicone-hose.html   Got the Fortech flares mounted(Fortech being an american racing team but the flares are only available in the UK?)  Got the chassis stringlined and aligned, set the caster and camber  and weighed the little beast at Prather Motorsports.....Jesse has been a HUGE help, fast and efficient and I can't speak highly enough(and he has the cleanest and most organized shop I've ever seen).    After that alignment I can push this car with two fingers, actually pretty amazing.   Weighed the car before and after and, strangely, this car will only be about 100 lbs heavier when it's done with all the firewall and seats back in.   1492 lbs currently!   

Still have to figure out how to get the reverse lockout solenoid to work with the AEM EMS, figure out the VSS input and output but will likely just do so trial and error, hook up my kill switch and find a proper place for the battery(likely will go behind the passenger seat) and bleed all the brakes and clutch........then it's on to tracking down all the inevitable leaks.   Going to be a busy month but I will make that Track Night at Heartland Park.   

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
3/21/18 8:33 a.m.

This is super cool. I’m in California but I drove a 77 Mini in London for a year in college. I’m also doing a rear/mid engine Honda V6 in an iconic  WW2 recovery small European car. I’m putting a longitudinal C32 from an Acura Legend in  74 Super Beetle with Some Porsche suspension and brakes. I’m going to weigh a lot more than you, probably 2100.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
3/21/18 8:39 a.m.

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
3/21/18 10:36 a.m.

That is a great project!  Those beetles are begging for mad scientists to work them over.  If I wasn't into minis I'd be into beetles.   

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
3/21/18 11:23 a.m.

Minis are cooler than bugs, no doubt about it. One good thing about Beetles is the relatively easy parts sharing with Porsche stuff. Also they are dirt cheap here in California. What country are you in? 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/21/18 11:48 a.m.

In reply to SLGGR :

Your shift knob is fairly appropriate. Not that I suspect the engine will grenade, but rather when you mat the accelerator and row through the gears it will be like a bomb went off somewhere just over your shoulder. Looking good. One question I have on this kit is how accessible is the engine for routine maintenance like oil changes, or even just checking the oil level?

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
3/21/18 10:04 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I am building a lid over the top of the engine hinged at the rear that will give me full access to the dipstick and the oil cap.  Filter is really easy to get to.  

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
3/21/18 10:07 p.m.

In reply to carwhisperer :

I’m in the US, dead center in Kansas.  Not many minis around here but man is there a huge British car club around here that I never knew existed.

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
4/2/18 5:10 p.m.

Getting there.  Waiting on wheels, it runs and sounds amazing but I have to get the wheels to take it for the final tune on the dyno.....has some tip in stumbling issues right now.    Working on finishing touches while I cant drive it!!  The wheels in this pic are the old set and they fit-ish, not well enough to drive it.  Can't for the life of me figure out how to make the Acura VSS work with the Autometer speedometer so I think I'll have to go with the Autometer GPS sender.   New decals go on this week.  Hopefully wheels will show up this week and then it's off to the dyno at Prather Motorsports, Jesse did the initial fire up and troubleshooting.   Did a double layer of lexan for my lid over the motor thinking that the air gap between the two sheets will be as good of a sound/heat deadener as my multiple layers of sound/heat deadener everywhere else.    Wedged the full cage in and will definitely bolster it and add to it after it's running.   

Chappers
Chappers New Reader
4/3/18 1:39 p.m.

Hello! Nice to see another mini! 

But good grief is this thing a monster! I love it! 

I hope to run into you at some point as I’m also in the Midwest. Like you say not much of a mini scene in the middle of the country.

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
4/12/18 9:25 p.m.

Wheels on, finally figured out the stupid MAP sensor issue(turns out you can have your wiring perfect and some MAP sensors from China are wired any way they want it wired), got it on the dyno and tuned it.   This thing is mean, 1500 lbs, 230HP and 210 lb ft.   Thrush exhaust sounds perfect....tame at cruise and idle but loses its ever living mind at WOT.  Sounds almost exactly like a hopped up 80’s 911 with race exhaust.    So smooth and the power is outrageous..... Despite the MAP nonsense for the last three days I couldn’t be happier.   About threw that AEM stand alone off a bridge and ordered a stock ECU.   Listening to that VTEC at 7000 RPM’s is a thing of beauty.    I have three layers of sound and heat reflection on my firewalls so it’s very comfortable inside.  Adjusted the toe in and camber again.   Might have to make some adjustments to the front as it’s pretty twitchy at speed but I also need to build a front spoiler to get some weight up front at speed.  Handles as good as I’d hoped, I live in the land of round abouts and I’m having a ball.   Power exiting the round abouts is outrageous compared to my previous set up.   The crown doesn’t realize they gave me a lot of cornering practice to and from work.....glorious.  I have 5 round abouts on my 10 mile drive in.  Can’t believe it but I’ll be ready for Track Night on 20 April at heartland park.....counting the days.   Then I’ll start looking at solo or auto cross.   

Flying tiger graphics go on next week.   Love how he(yes SLGGR is a he, no time for a finnicky woman car) looks right now but can’t wait for the teeth and roundels.   

Side note, these toyo proxess R888’s grip.   I have dumped the clutch at 4000 R’s on pavement and got zero wheel slip.   Minitec told me this was to be expected but I didn’t believe them.   

Thanks to Minitec for the fantastic and well designed subframes and Jesse Prather Motorsports for the top notch chassis and motor tuning.   Jesse was crucial to this.   I wired it and plumbed it but he guided me through a LOT I had never dealt with and put up with a lot of evening texts and nonsense.   JPM is a no nonsense full on race shop that treated me right......and I’m not even a Miata or RX-7 guy.   I don’t generally advertise anything on my car but the JPM sticker is finding a prominent place. 

ETA:   Hilarious the reactions people have to this car.   Had a guy ask me how tall I am and looked at me quizzically when I said 6’.   Had an attendant come out trying to stop me from putting fuel in my fuel cell under the bonnet.  My passengers continuously get thumbs up as the RHD doesn’t register.   These old cars definitely trigger a smile response.....same reason I’ve wanted to build one up for 20+ years.   

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/12/18 10:05 p.m.

Man, this is awesome. 

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
4/12/18 11:14 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Now that this little monster is running right, you’re absolutely right.   It sets you firmly into your seat and makes you question whether or not you’ve been punched.   Addictive.   So happy these motors are cheap because the high RPM’s are so fun.   Can’t wait for my morning drive to town.   Good heavens these cars get in your head......no one around here gets that, right?

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
4/18/18 4:38 p.m.

Well, it's done and ready to run on Friday.    Got all the suspension where I want it and the fenders are properly clearanced now.   Runs strong, still haven't really gotten into it but it's surprising to me how much grip it has and how fast it accelerates.   Handles amazingly well but we'll see how good come friday at heartland park.  Not going to have my front splitter done but that'll give me something to go off of come 31 May when the 2nd track night comes around.   Heard about time trials so I may look into that now as well as Solo.   

Anyway, Here he is....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/18/18 5:01 p.m.

Done?  WTF?  This is GRM!  Projects NEVER get done!!

Great job!  Very excited!!

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
4/18/18 5:05 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

You're right!   I can just see my wife rolling her eyes now.   This stage of the evolution has been complete.....not sure what's next.   Aero likely

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/18/18 8:05 p.m.

Have you tried to wheely it yet?

Have fun at the track.

Adam

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cG6YNT8N8Bw3AoXGNGWXCDGDZaIpABn0Kb3TdEHi7uZADIzoXzdODe4WkYJTTm9D