1 2 3 4
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/7/16 11:59 a.m.

The interior has held up remarkablely well.

The paint is ok.....and Will probably be changed depending on budget

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
5/7/16 5:12 p.m.

Eh, a good polish/wax job should make it more than presentable. Nothing you can do about the clearcoat failure on the trunk lid, but chances are that it's been repainted since it seems to be the only panel with the failure. That, and it appears misaligned. Still, a good cutting pad & compound + a nice wax would really spruce that paint up.

Antihero
5/7/16 10:48 p.m.

It's more of the fact that I'm not a super huge fan of brown.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
5/7/16 11:13 p.m.

If you do just polish up the lovely poop brown, an option for the chipped rear section is to sand it down and make the entire butt of the car black. It has nice square edges, might look good!

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
5/8/16 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Antihero:

Now that's a damn shame.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP New Reader
5/8/16 10:42 a.m.

My caprice Shenanigans!

Sorry about the quality, it was uploaded 8 years ago. Never did anything power wise to it. Sometimes I miss that car :'(

Antihero
5/9/16 12:51 a.m.

In reply to Esoteric Nixon:

The paint looks worse in person, the below the chrome trim it's down to primer, someone used a gold touch up paint in places and there are some huge scratches in it. It may still show up at the challenge looking like it is though.

Nice djgreggiep!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
5/9/16 9:57 a.m.

Hey, that thing looks pretty good! Lots of brown...you may find you like the brown better if it had silver wheels instead of black ones, for whatever that's worth. Looks like a highly optioned car - aero mirrors, burled trim, the mid-level gauges, and AC. Not sure where the RPO codes are in the sedan, but I'd guess in the glove box if you want to know what options it has. Big white sticker with a bunch of 3-character alphanumeric codes on it. It will tell you which of the 3 suspensions it has, along with engine, trans, diff ratio, if it has an LSD, all that good stuff. It also contains the paint code should you want to match the factory paint.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/9/16 10:22 a.m.
Antihero wrote: Because they are coated in awesome and awesome can't rust?

I think you may have stumbled onto something here.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
5/9/16 11:08 a.m.

Caprices definitely rust here, but I think it's because of the substantial field of anti-awesome emitted by the radioactive decay of road salt isotopes.

Antihero
5/9/16 7:41 p.m.

In reply to gearheadE30:

It's in the trunk on mine. No LSD sadly. I do really wish it had more gauges though. I also have to do some research and see if I can just swap in a cluster with minimal work, if not I might just do aftermarket , or in my case scavenged, gauges.

Antihero
5/9/16 7:42 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: Caprices definitely rust here, but I think it's because of the substantial field of anti-awesome emitted by the radioactive decay of road salt isotopes.

Your science sounds legit

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
5/10/16 7:54 a.m.

An aftermarket tach and the cluster out of a 1994 Chevy G20 van fit side by side in mine, and the wiring wasn't too bad. If you end up doing something similar, I probably have the cluster wiring harness pinouts written down somewhere.

I ended up making this for it though:

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
5/10/16 9:42 a.m.

That cluster is NICE. Care to tell us more?

Antihero
5/10/16 9:14 p.m.

In reply to gearheadE30:

Looks good, I wouldn't mind doing the same

Antihero
5/25/16 6:53 p.m.

Haven't had much big progress on the caprice. Thought I had a wiring problem that ended up just being the flasher being loose. I "repaired " the door weatherstripping with some roll window gasket.

But while looking on amazon for stuff I came across Raybestos heavy duty springs for the princely sum of $37.40 shipped......for all 4

Antihero
5/31/16 7:53 p.m.

The cheap springs have arrived.at the least I won't be using 32 year old springs but the back ones are definitely more heavy duty with thicker coils.

And got the tranny pulled this weekend, weak 27 spline out and I'm running down a 30 spline to put in

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
6/2/16 9:09 a.m.

Good progress.

I don't have any other pics of my gauge cluster on this computer, but it's all VDO stuff and mounts to the factory cluster holes. Mocked it up with cardboard, then used a heat gun to bend some black 1/8" ABS plastic into the correct shape. Gauge holes cut with hole saws.

I don't know if you're near Indiana or not, but I have a set of used 750 lb/in front springs that would fit that car and lower it a few inches. I took them off mine because it was too low with them + drop spindles, but those plus ZQ8 bump stops worked pretty well. Yours for the price of shipping if you want them. I can get you the moog part number if interested.

Antihero
6/3/16 11:11 p.m.

In reply to gearheadE30:

Any idea how much they drop from stock? If you've got the stock number handy I can google them. I'm in idaho too

Thank you for the offer

Antihero
7/17/16 2:56 p.m.

Progress is being made , new better tranny is going in and I've come to loathe the placement of the catalytic convertor, the tv cable system and that last bellhpusing bolt behind the distributer

Antihero
8/6/16 10:50 p.m.

New tranny is in, took out the weakest 700r4 and put a strong md8 31 spline in. Tranny shifts really strong going into gear, wondering if the previous owner put a shift kit in.

Now we see how fast I can get the mods done to see if I can make this challenge.

Now I have to make a decision on tires, not easy when you drive on a dirt road, want a decent road ride and still want them sticky enough for the challenge.

Antihero
8/7/16 8:06 p.m.

And I finally replaced the starter, which gm apparently decided needed to be covered up by absolutely everything possible.

And yet on the other side of the engine? Totally clear. They decided to put the exhaust tranny cooler lines and everything else on top of the starter. Thank you gm

Antihero
8/20/16 10:15 a.m.

Slightly wider tires were added

New compared to old

Tires

Antihero
8/20/16 10:22 a.m.

Antihero
8/20/16 10:29 a.m.

Hmm....I apparently suck at uploading pics. Can anyone see them?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bnGzdQFHp9RQTEStLdOIIkyUqzIDyxFUPJSlXOADN42w9Padf7DdnkDKRQW9nLTr