1/25/13 12:19 p.m.

Dirty engine bay.

Something is missing...

This has definitely seen better days.

Shiny stuff!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/29/13 5:49 a.m.

I started the car today and decided to let it run for a bit to check for any coolant leaks. I had left the fan off so there was a lot less noise under the hood and I could hear a definite hiss. I started monkeying with the vacuum hoses and lines and, wouldn't you know it, the hose that leads from under the upper intake to the MAP sensor was the source of the hiss. It changed in pitch when I moved the hose.

I pulled off the upper plenum and proceeded to replace all of the lines. I did it last night so I haven't started it yet. Hopefully it idles more smoothly and runs a bit less rich!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/10/13 2:00 a.m.

It runs SOOOOOOOO much better now that the M.A.P. sensor is getting a proper vacuum signal. No more lopey idle.

So anyway, after at most 1 hour of run time on 5 fresh quarts of Castrol GTX, after I replaced the vacuum lines, I checked the oil and saw this:

HAHA, no.

So I went out and bought another 5 quart jug for the Lincoln, 1 for the Scoob and 1 for the Burban. Since I put the same viscosity in the Lincoln and the Scoob and the Scoob only takes 4 quarts I used some of it's oil to wash out the Lincoln's engine before putting the drain plugs back in.

After the second oil change I let it idle for a while to bring the engine up to operating temp. Man that thing sounds good! The oil is still a clearish gold, we'll see how long that lasts! I layed under the car while it was running, looking for leaks, and was astonished at the smoothness of the engine. Just a nice, steady whir with no rattles, ticks or knocks.

I hate hate HATE when people neglect an engine by not changing the oil frequently enough!

I had an adorable, camera-shy assistant:

Yes, she's still in her jammies.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
2/13/13 3:35 a.m.

Check out:

Look for the LSC-R cars in the SVPU Project Cars section.

www.svpu.com/index.html

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/15/13 9:05 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: Check out: Look for the LSC-R cars in the SVPU Project Cars section. www.svpu.com/index.html

SWEET!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
2/15/13 9:13 a.m.

This is a very awesome thread...you have any events planned at this point? When will the Stincoln make her maiden timed run?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/15/13 9:14 a.m.

I've had the Lincoln parked on the rear concrete pad for a while and I noticed a leak directly under the torque converter...oddly it has the feel of brake fluid and no scent at all. I'm going to have to get it back in the air to scope this out thoroughly.

Driver's side, just behind the front wheel:

Shooting from the front, of course:

Further under the driver's side:

While I was at it I figured I'd tighten up the wobbly steering wheel.

I oh-so-delicately peeled off the trim around the column and removed the two little torx bolts...

...so that I could access this little berkeleyer and his twin that lives on the under side of the column. I tightened those two and bliggity blam, no more wobbly wheel!

Snoogans, it's nap time.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/15/13 9:19 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

Thanks.

Nothing actually planned yet, but Solo2 is definitely one of my goals. I'm just kind of repairing stuff at this point and letting it sort of take shape. I keep coming back to either bedliner or flat black paint. It's always been a favorite of mine but it might be a bit played out by the "intentionally haggard car" crowd.

I still need rear shocks, it's a bit bouncy!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
2/15/13 9:25 a.m.

A car of that vintage needs single stage black gloss...Flat black is waaay overdone, and only looks good for the first week. Ever tried to clean bird poop off flat black? Pylon orange is not coming off without a fight either. Bedliner would be cool for the bottom 1/4 - basically from the bumper, south - keep rocks and rally debris from effing up the glossy shine. Maybe glossy black vinyl?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/23/13 9:31 a.m.

The rear shocks for the Stincoln have arrived!

Luca grabbed one and demonstrated an overhead press.

Lily asked him if she could see it and said, "Wait a minute... Dad I think something's missing.".

She's right! Damn you Autozone!!!!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/23/13 9:32 a.m.

Hopefully I'll get to put them on soon. Right now everything has a bit of snow on it and the kids haven't been sledding this year so that takes top priority!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/10/13 8:58 a.m.

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about what Pres589 said; tucking the bumper.

I might try for something along these lines:

I'm really digging the flush front end on these, I'd like to pull off something similar.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/10/13 9:01 a.m.

In the interest of being proactive I'm also passively looking for an alternative transmission.

C4, C6, 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual...I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/10/13 9:02 a.m.

Edit: For visual reference, I didn't buy a Torino Talladega. I wish I could!

I'm thinking somewhere between this:

And this:

Except, you know...a Lincoln.

Not a Torino or 442...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
3/10/13 5:55 p.m.

Is that a 69 torino talledega?

And if so, please tell me its going street legal nascar clone....

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/10/13 8:57 p.m.

Yep, '69 Talladega.

Unfortunately it's not mine, I just hotlinked the picture from B.A.T. for a visual reference of the look I think I'll go for.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/10/13 8:59 p.m.

Rear shocks are on!

One step closer.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/11/13 5:57 a.m.

Closer, but I'm still leaning toward black with no stickers, doors that open and turning both directions.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/12/13 7:21 p.m.

Loving this so far. The thing looks pretty good with the Mustang wheels. More pics!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/16/13 3:54 p.m.

I'm getting a speed-dependent vibration when I coast or hold a steady speed. It goes away when I accelerate but does not coincide with the converter locking or unlocking. It didn't change at all when I popped it into neutral.

I suspect it may be coming from this little gem.

Hotlinked pic, not mine.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/16/13 4:43 p.m.

FYI, 235/70R16 tires will fit and do not rub even at full lock!

Full lock and full compression might be another story!

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
3/16/13 4:46 p.m.

Those tires would be absolutely huge. Did you get the vibration before fitting those tires?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/16/13 5:45 p.m.

Yeah, it was vibrating before fitting the big 'uns.

I had originally intended to find some all-terrain truck tires for the stock 15's and some sticky 3 seasons for the 16's but I'll take what I can get.

If the wife gets home soon with the tablet I'll get some pics.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/17/13 8:29 a.m.

There were only 2 good tires out of the 4 that I was given so, being a meathead, I put them on the front.

They fill the wheel wells nicely.

Could be a bit wider...

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/17/13 8:32 a.m.

I may be able to rotate the front springs and gain a bit of ride height and improve the suspension goemetry. I'll probably see to that when the weather warms back up. As it sits right now the A-arms are just below parallel so I lose negative camber with any compression whatsoever.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qyQ8SP5TWnZZVuYodze8i2o0oRq2p7IfE16zOl7WTP0TsfD4TKytVfCTD3tiq6BC