1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/20 12:00 p.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

I hadn't heard of them until recently, another GRMer put them in his SBC swapped Porsche. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1972-porsche-911-with-zz4-and-930-trans/151083/page2/

I bought them off ebay for about half of what Autometer or SpeedHut would have cost.

Rattmandu
Rattmandu New Reader
8/30/20 4:28 p.m.

If you end up looking at designing a forward mount shifter again, that company that makes one and has zero details on their website does have an installation video where you can see a bit more.

https://youtu.be/cQ0Vb3aoPdc

They pull the back case off the transmission and cut the shifter rod in half to attach their new bracketry.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/20 4:56 p.m.

This thread needs more Ram50 burnouts.

RacetruckRon
8/30/20 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Rattmandu :

I think that is going to a project for this winter.  I have a pretty good idea of how that shifter works and a halfway decent model for my own design. I have an early 350z trans torn apart on my work bench in the office but the JK40 trans in my truck is different enough I need it out of the truck to nail down a couple details.

RacetruckRon
8/30/20 5:08 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Soon.  The wife has been on me to knock out house projects now that the truck is running.  I guess I can't use that excuse anymore. 

I also need to figure out the brake system.  I think my MC is too big and there might be a little bit of air in the . The brakes work but the pedal is soft at the top and then takes a lot of force to get the brakes to do anything in a hurry.  I need better brake modulation before I start getting real stupid with it.

8/30/20 11:29 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I've been a brake system engineer for longer than you've been alive. We should talk.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/31/20 11:16 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been a brake system engineer for longer than you've been alive. We should talk.

I feel like admitting that on this forum will make you a popular penpal for lots of individuals.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/31/20 11:40 a.m.
iansane said:

I feel like admitting that on this forum will make you a popular penpal for lots of individuals.

He already is!

RacetruckRon
8/31/20 1:24 p.m.

I'm always interested to learn from someone who knows more about one specific subject than I know about breathing.  Sent you an email this morning Professor.

RacetruckRon
9/8/20 10:50 p.m.

Weather was kinda E36 M3 this weekend, I did some maintenance on the Jeeps.  New brake parts are on the way for the truck.  In the meantime enjoy this cold start video.

RacetruckRon
9/19/20 4:54 p.m.

Today has been quite a day. The truck has failed me on three separate occasions in the last 2 hours. Currently stranded 12 miles from home with a rod knock or a hole in a piston. 

Will update with more info when the truck is home and I have a tall glass of bourbon.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/19/20 7:25 p.m.

Oh no! Hope it's actually ok!

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/19/20 9:04 p.m.

berkeley.  I hope you misdiagnosed it.

RacetruckRon
9/19/20 11:40 p.m.

Tl;dr  The truck left me stranded twice today, made me miss a friend's wedding and has a blown engine.

The wife and took it down to Janesville (about an hour drive from us) to have lunch with her parents and then swung by my parents. We were rushing to make it back home to head to a friend's wedding around 4. We made it about halfway home and the bolt that holds the shifter lever to the internal transmission shift linkage backed out. I went to pull the trans out of 6th and coast up to a stop sign, heard a bolt go *ting* and the shifter went limp. Coasted until I had a safe shoulder to pull off on. We waited for traffic to clear and then I pushed the truck a couple hundred feet into a church parking lot while my wife is steering, holding the clutch in because the truck is running in 4th gear so the power steering would work. 

I only have tools to change or inflate a tire with me. I left my socket set at home because the truck had been running so well lately. That was a mistake. Luckily I have good friends that are down with the struggle, my buddy shows up 40 minutes later with a jack, jack stands, an appropriate bolt and necessary wrenches. Fixed it in 15 minutes thank him profusely and head on our way. We are now going to be late and probably miss the ceremony of that wedding.

Getting on the highway I see oil pressure is low. The engine is hot and I haven't checked the oil level in a couple weeks. We get up to speed and I have passable oil pressure. I realize when we are 13 miles from home I didn't fill up after we left my parents place (my gauge doesn't read correctly). I do some quick math, 426 miles currently on the odometer, I filled up last around 275 miles. The truck does 11-13 mpg from my small sample size and varying driving conditions. 11 goes into 150, 14 times, barely (I have a 14 gallon tank). Get off on the next exit half a mile later. Fuel pressure drops briefly on the ramp and then normalizes as I idle waiting for traffic to clear so I can pull out and get to the gas station 600 feet away. Engine stumbles as I let the clutch out and the regains itself. Fuel pressure drops to 20psi as I am pulling into the gas station and it starts to misfire. Clutch in, power off, coast up to the pump, she takes 13 gallons. Start it back up and I have the nastiest rod knock I have ever heard. 

I pulled the truck out of the way and shut it off. My wife asks me what just happened, ok turn the engineer brain off let's explain it simply. "We just blew up the engine"

We come to the conclusion that we aren't making that wedding. I start sending SOS messages to everyone I know with a truck and trailer and some people who don't even have trailers.  She goes into the gas station to get some snacks since we are going to be here awhile. I get a friend to come pick us up, all of my friends with trailers are up north with their trailers. Cool. 

A friend sends me a number of a friend of his that has a trailer and also has a LS powered minitruck after we got picked up. That guy comes through and we get the truck loaded up and back in my garage around 9:30. 

I will start tearing into it tomorrow. It's up on stands and I have a glass of the good stuff poured.

9/19/20 11:46 p.m.

I'm hoping for a failed accessory drive tensioner sounding like a hammer beating on the block.

RacetruckRon
9/20/20 12:26 a.m.

I have one of those fancy Katech billet tensioners that has no hydraulics to it. I saw 9psi of oil pressure under load at one point indecision my outlook is not very optimistic at this point.

RacetruckRon
9/20/20 12:28 a.m.

Intake manifold, driveshaft and all of the exhaust besides the headers have been removed from the truck. I am exhausted, physically and mentally.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/20/20 7:18 a.m.

Man that sucks.  I'm surprised the mpg's aren't better with this combination. 

The last 10% takes 90% of the effort.

Still sucks, but you can rebuild better, stronger, faster.

RacetruckRon
9/20/20 9:49 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I tend to drive the truck like a certified shiny happy person and it has an enormous cam in it that doesn't help with balancing performance and economy like a OEM cam grind would. I think there's room to improve on those numbers with the tune though.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
9/20/20 10:11 a.m.

Sucks to hear the bad news.  Did your tune freakishly lean the thing out (and maybe ventilate a piston) with no warning or something?  I know it doesn't directly relate, but it seems that way too many people using the Holley stuff seem to blow up engines trying to figure out a tune.  I watch too much YouTube, but a pattern is a pattern . . .

RacetruckRon
9/20/20 10:16 a.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I ran the truck too low on gas and lost fuel pressure. I won't be surprised if I have a ventilated piston, I've come to terms with this engine being potential a lost cause. I need to look into setting up fail-safes in the Holley so it doesn't happen on another motor.  I should also fix my gas gauge.

9/20/20 11:16 a.m.

Losing fuel pressure like that probably won't let it run lean for long enough to burn a piston. I'd be looking at bearings, thinking maybe failed oil pressure relief valve as the Nelsons have experienced.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/20/20 11:19 a.m.
iansane said:

Not gonna lie, I have this detail saved on a sticky note on my computer "just in case".

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/20/20 12:10 p.m.

I'm with Angry; you had low oil pressure around the same time as the motor starting to fall apart (technical term) while driving and it sounds like it was not heavily loaded when it happened.  If this was during an autocross or drag race, RPM etc situation then maybe, but this sounds like it spun a bearing near idle. 

The why that happened question is something else again.  I wonder if there's a bunch of fuel in the oil?  You'll have a much better picture when you get the motor apart.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
erfPD1tmmYyxDuGe72uD8qIBO49AtZXCzsDJKi9YymaDaoaTnvrZOTggUKwlzOdU