FL Miata
FL Miata None
1/15/13 3:27 p.m.

Okay, I am new to this forum so let me know if I am posting in the wrong place. I am working on a '91 Miata that I bought a few years back. Since that time I have replaced the motor, transmission and the rear end. So mechanically it is in great shape. The body is rough and the interior is trashed. So I have gutted the interior and since I live in Florida I am considering doing a spray on bed liner to replace the carpet. I am going to cover the tranny tunnel with a heat shield or some other heat Insulation. My question is, have any of you ever used a spray on bed liner for your interior? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/15/13 8:48 p.m.

I've seen it done on a couple race cars, primarily full-time rallycross cars. I've also seen it done as undercoating on cars. In fact, I plan on using bedliner as undercoating in my project Midget.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/13 9:25 p.m.

Should work great. Just don't get it on your hootus.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/13 9:55 p.m.

I used it to protect the inner surface of my fenders on the Locost. Lemme tell you, you want a very well ventilated area!

I wouldn't put it on the interior of a race car, though. It's not super-light, which is the point of a stripped interior. I'd be tempted to just go visit a Spec Miata shop and dig through the stuff they're throwing away.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
1/16/13 9:23 a.m.

Do you still have the old stuff you took out? I'm washing my carpet then re-dying it. With the interior panels I'm cleaning then painting them with vinyl paint. I hate stripped interiors on cars that are used on thes street.

FL Miata
FL Miata New Reader
1/18/13 1:16 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner: I would love to find a local Spec Miata shop! I am new to Florida and have no clue where much of anything is. I was living in St Paul MN and my mechanic had a hook up with a local Spec shop.

FL Miata
FL Miata New Reader
1/18/13 1:38 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson: I am keeping all of the interior except the carpet and seat covers. I am swapping the seat covers for a set of Wet Okole's waterproof seat covers. The carpet was VERY worn and I want an interior that is waterproof and beach friendly. I am doing the bed liner because of the sand in my other cars seats and carpet, due to the frequent trips to the beach, and the every afternoon summer showers. I am also planning on painting some of the interior bits. Best of luck to you.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/18/13 7:26 a.m.

If you look through some old pictures of the VW Thing you can find photos of plywood floorboards with holes in them designed to let sand fall through for the beach. Additionally, if you look at the cool Porsche kids they use aluminum "track mats". It seems to me that if you were an enterprising chap you could sort through these ideas and come up with something to slide in over the bare floor that would be sand/water proof and quickly removable for cleaning and race time. Or just throw down some rubber mats and check to make sure its not rusting every now and again.

Keith Tanner
1/18/13 8:54 a.m.

Spec Miata shops in Florida? Google! I'm pretty sure BSI is in the area. Breathless Performance seems to be. They're out there.

If you're mostly looking for traction on the bare surface, get some skateboard grip tape. Two bucks will get you enough to go under the driver's feet.

FL Miata
FL Miata New Reader
1/18/13 5:40 p.m.

Mazdeuce, I am thinking that the plywood would probably not work for this project, thanks anyway though. I have looked over several options and I think that the bed liner or paint is the way to go. Keith, I never thought about grip tape. That sounds good and much less expensive. Now, I just have to find time to do all of this.

Keith Tanner
1/18/13 5:55 p.m.

There's a big difference between the grip tape sold at hardware stores and sold at skateboard shops for decks. Definitely go with the latter. You'll have to replace it occasionally, but for the price it's not a big deal. I've seen grip paint as well at Home Depot.

FL Miata
FL Miata New Reader
1/21/13 11:26 p.m.

I have seen the texture paint that seems to have a sand-ish texture. I am probably going with the skateboard tape. Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Today we pulled the front and rear bumpers and the fenders too.It really looks like a beast with both fenders and bumpers off. My sons took it and drove around our mini-farm. I was pretty awesome seeing them having a blast with the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMQdK2Nik4T0A52C871n9MbjLkXM0nvKDckFZwGHTkhRp2OH5W9zNz19MX7W46ep