1 ... 22 23 24 25
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/31/17 7:19 p.m.

What tires are you running for the rally setup? I'm converting my 911 over to a rally style car running 15 inch rims. I'm at a loss for what rally type cars to use that will give me okay traction on gravel back roads

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/1/17 6:47 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: What tires are you running for the rally setup? I'm converting my 911 over to a rally style car running 15 inch rims. I'm at a loss for what rally type cars to use that will give me okay traction on gravel back roads

These:

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/1/17 6:51 a.m.

Nah, parade laps at lunchtime.

Are you actually going to run it on the full course in NJ? If so, not sure if the Rivals will be the best choice lol....it could be pretty soft in the motocross section ;)

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/1/17 7:13 a.m.
teamilluminata wrote:
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: What tires are you running for the rally setup? I'm converting my 911 over to a rally style car running 15 inch rims. I'm at a loss for what rally type cars to use that will give me okay traction on gravel back roads

These:

You have my attention.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
4/1/17 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Hey, knurled. I have an 87 911 Carrera that have owned for 20 years. It was my daily around town driver until about four years ago. Lowered, boy racer fun call that did a few track days a year period but then I had a damn stroke so it became almost impossible for me to get in and out of it it was so low. I guess with prices of them going through the roof, especially G50 cars it probably but it would have been wise for me to sell it for a tidy profit. But that's not the way I roll and it's not a garage queen as it has 140,000 miles on it. My solution? Raise the ride height where I can get in and out of it and turn it into a Backroads toy.

I've taken the fiberglass bumper is off and putting on OEM steel bumpers albeit drilled full of holes for the look. Rally lights period a little softer suspension then my road racing set-up. I've lowered the spindles on the front to get suspension geometry inline with the new ride height. Just got the motor back from a refreshing of the top end. Putting a RS interior with rear seat delete. Rally seats. BAS sport harness bar Etc etc. Oh and don't forget for additional headlights up front period LOL

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
4/1/17 10:28 a.m.

In reply to teamilluminata:

Paul.... how do you think those would handle 50/50 Street use and Backroads use in the hardest compound? About the only thing I am close to finding is Yokohama geolandar all terrain tires in 205 70 15. By the way do you run same size tires on all four corners?

Keeping in mind I really don't anticipate rally cross events since there are none within 750 miles of me but I have plenty of dirt back roads and Levee roads in Mississippi LOL

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/2/17 6:49 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

Paul has my attention because I have never seen those tires before and they look competitively priced compared to what I have been running. And he's listing 13" sizes as available. And I have a new car that will need 13" gravels....

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
4/2/17 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I realized that after I posted. LOL see, I told you I had a stroke

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/2/17 12:58 p.m.

Cool build.

I have a harness bar if you have not bought one yet.Pics in here somewehre. And wheels of course.

Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to Knurled: Hey, knurled. I have an 87 911 Carrera that have owned for 20 years. It was my daily around town driver until about four years ago. Lowered, boy racer fun call that did a few track days a year period but then I had a damn stroke so it became almost impossible for me to get in and out of it it was so low. I guess with prices of them going through the roof, especially G50 cars it probably but it would have been wise for me to sell it for a tidy profit. But that's not the way I roll and it's not a garage queen as it has 140,000 miles on it. My solution? Raise the ride height where I can get in and out of it and turn it into a Backroads toy. I've taken the fiberglass bumper is off and putting on OEM steel bumpers albeit drilled full of holes for the look. Rally lights period a little softer suspension then my road racing set-up. I've lowered the spindles on the front to get suspension geometry inline with the new ride height. Just got the motor back from a refreshing of the top end. Putting a RS interior with rear seat delete. Rally seats. BAS sport harness bar Etc etc. Oh and don't forget for additional headlights up front period LOL
teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/2/17 1:00 p.m.

They'd be fine in anything above freezing. Medim compound would be in stock. We run 195/65 all round on et35 wheels with a 12mm rear spacer.

Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to teamilluminata: Paul.... how do you think those would handle 50/50 Street use and Backroads use in the hardest compound? About the only thing I am close to finding is Yokohama geolandar all terrain tires in 205 70 15. By the way do you run same size tires on all four corners? Keeping in mind I really don't anticipate rally cross events since there are none within 750 miles of me but I have plenty of dirt back roads and Levee roads in Mississippi LOL
teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/2/17 1:03 p.m.

I was turned onto them by some friends in Sweden who were testing them last year. Been kicking arse in Asia, Australia and New Zealand all last year. They seem to be the tire to have. Introduced into Europe this year and now USA too :)

catalogue

Knurled wrote: In reply to Ovid_and_Flem: Paul has my attention because I have never seen those tires before and they look competitively priced compared to what I have been running. And he's listing 13" sizes as available. And I have a new car that will need 13" gravels....
irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/3/17 7:55 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote: Nah, parade laps at lunchtime.

Well, my navigator can't make it, so IDK if you have a NRS licence (or if Petrow may let you without), but if you feel like riding with me at any point, come find me - I'll have an open seat.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/3/17 9:05 p.m.

I'll bring me helmet.

irish44j wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: Nah, parade laps at lunchtime.

Well, my navigator can't make it, so IDK if you have a NRS licence (or if Petrow may let you without), but if you feel like riding with me at any point, come find me - I'll have an open seat.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/5/17 7:46 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote: I'll bring me helmet.
irish44j wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: Nah, parade laps at lunchtime.

Well, my navigator can't make it, so IDK if you have a NRS licence (or if Petrow may let you without), but if you feel like riding with me at any point, come find me - I'll have an open seat.

make sure you bring a suit and HANS as well - pretty sure it's all required for these events!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/5/17 9:44 p.m.

Oh, I'm out then.

irish44j wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: I'll bring me helmet.
irish44j wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: Nah, parade laps at lunchtime.

Well, my navigator can't make it, so IDK if you have a NRS licence (or if Petrow may let you without), but if you feel like riding with me at any point, come find me - I'll have an open seat.

make sure you bring a suit and HANS as well - pretty sure it's all required for these events!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/6/17 8:20 a.m.

Actually, I'm out for the whole thing. Something came up.

teamilluminata wrote: Oh, I'm out then.
irish44j wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: I'll bring me helmet.
irish44j wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: Nah, parade laps at lunchtime.

Well, my navigator can't make it, so IDK if you have a NRS licence (or if Petrow may let you without), but if you feel like riding with me at any point, come find me - I'll have an open seat.

make sure you bring a suit and HANS as well - pretty sure it's all required for these events!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/7/17 2:16 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote: Actually, I'm out for the whole thing. Something came up.
teamilluminata wrote: Oh, I'm out then.
irish44j wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: I'll bring me helmet.
irish44j wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: Nah, parade laps at lunchtime.

Well, my navigator can't make it, so IDK if you have a NRS licence (or if Petrow may let you without), but if you feel like riding with me at any point, come find me - I'll have an open seat.

make sure you bring a suit and HANS as well - pretty sure it's all required for these events!

ah that sucks. see you another time!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
5/25/17 6:14 p.m.

It's been nearly two months since our last update so no wonder those upstart safari cars thought they could sneak in. OK, back to our car.

In April the car was invited to the motoring club car show at Oakland University and displayed next to the FSAE car we sponsor.

During April and early May, as time permitted we did a few minor mods:

We replaced the cone seat steel lug inserts with ball seat so all our Porsche wheels can now use the same lug nuts.

and then some hood pins, front only for now. Rear looks more involved.

and finally a period rally computer.

Last week we dragged it down to Ohio to display it and spectate at the Southern Ohio Forest Rally

We still want to drop the engine soon and refurbish the intake tract but first we need to get our 85 quattro running right so it can take over the Carrera RX's duties. Bloody CIS injection woes!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
6/26/17 4:03 p.m.

Our 85 UR quattro is running sufficiently well enough to tackle solo classic car duty at events so we decided to drop the engine in the 911 Carrera RX.

Before we got carried away and disconnected everything we had the presence of mind to do a compression test. We think it went well.

Plugs look OK too

We have a five week window before we need the car again so we got a wiggle on:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vDWWLwnW8E0

and 1 minute and 40 seconds later it was out.

Ok it took a bit longer than that. About four hours over three days I think. Now we start in on refurbishing the top. Here's what we are thinking:

New Heater ducts

New Shifter coupling

Intake manifold gaskets

Clean Injectors

refurb air flappy door thing

replace Rubber hoses

replace Fuel lines

Adjust clutch

Replace Plugs

Replace Leads

Replace Distributor cap

Replace Engine mounts

Replace Engine crossbar

Replace Left camshaft oil line

Valve clearances

Replace Air filter

Replace 02 sensor

Fix oil Leaks

Rear Hood pins

Refurb tinware

money and time permitting of course.

Car is running a bit rough and making some popping noises. Also doesn't like part throttle but idles well and pulls strong. Would like to dress up the engine bay a little too. Maybe some steel braided lines instead of OE replacements. Can you think of anything else we can do?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
6/30/17 1:29 p.m.

Tear down is nearly complete so we took the car off the lift and pushed it back into the showroom. Looks odd so high in the rear.

It didn't take long before we found our first issue. This might need cleaninig.

We soon had the intake manifold off the engine.

and found some more, not unexpected problems.

A bit more wrench wiggling and we had the shroud off too.

A few more things to address.

Generally speaking there were no surprises so we think we'll push on with our original plan. There was one little wrinkle: a morning spent googling "Individual throttle bodies Porsche 3.2" !! Maybe next time eh?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/16/17 12:03 p.m.

The 911’s engine is back together. First we painted the valve covers red because racecar.

Then our cleaned and tested fuel injectors arrived from Cruzin Performance.

We repainted all the tinware

Then replaced the intake manifold connector with a silicone one from Vibrant.

We took advantage of the open engine bay to install some Sparco hood pins

Then our new intake gaskets arrived for TRE Motorsports

And a new engine cross member from Rennline

Munks Motors rebuilt all our fuel lines with Aeroquipe hoses

And Wevo sent us some performance engine mounts.

Finally we slapped the engine back in and took it for a drive but not before replacing the rear anti roll bar drop links.

The result of all this effort? The engine starts easily now and goes straight to fast idle then settles down to a smooth 850 rpm. No popping and bucking anymore and it pulls a lot smoother too.

https://youtu.be/TWqeISHUiaM

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TWqeISHUiaM

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
8/16/17 8:01 p.m.

aww. you missed the perfect opportunity for PMO's or maybe some tuned length ssi headers...

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/17/17 7:19 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: aww. you missed the perfect opportunity for PMO's or maybe some tuned length ssi headers...

I must admit to be very tempted by individual throttle bodies but time and budget would not allow at this point.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
8/17/17 12:42 p.m.

It's only ~7k in parts.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
9/11/17 5:34 p.m.

We are pleased to report that the Carrera RX is now running very well indeed and we have been enjoying the car a lot visiting several cars and coffee events including an impromtu dash 200 miles up north to vist our 83 UR Quattro build at Cherry Classic Cars after our van blew a turbo hose.


We also attended the Woodward Dream Cruise and the Detroit Car week with the car.


Meantime we fabbed up a gauge pod to house the AFR gauge connected to the wide band o2 sensor we had installed while the engine was out.

This week we are dragging the car up to Empire, Michigan where it will once again be functioning as the course opening car. Maybe see you up there?

1 ... 22 23 24 25
Our Preferred Partners
nllKX9i4ejwHCvsbDsw2iQTekM9VDwTJcmtBRUX8BvNULWZifubkTCS64X5jcsqh