1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26
fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/13 11:49 a.m.

Car looked great! Photobucket

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/6/13 3:07 p.m.

This car is proving to be an ideal weapon in the world of SCCA RallyCross as yesterday, driven by guest driver Scott Harvey and owner Paul Eddleston it achieved first and second place in the Detroit Region Season Opener held in Crystal, Michigan.

Conditions were frigid for the morning session and competitors were presented with a frozen solid dirt surface with litlle snow coverage, even the portions of course inside the dirt ovel track. The Carrera, on it's Winterforce tires once again had an advantage in traction over the other Prepared RWD who's engines were all in the "wrong" place for such conditions. The course started out wide and open and gave some wonderful arse-out drifting opportunities but one had to reign it in for the last third as it got much tighter and slippier as it entered and traversed the oval to the finish, albeit by a circuitous route.

The afternoon session was a different story. The course was run backwards and with temperatures climbing into the 30s a sloppy goop had formed on top of frozen dirt, churned up by the AWD classes before us. Still, once we picked our way carefully through the oval track section we could open up the car, with a little care than we both used, to set some really quick times. One or two of our runs came to grief however as we both had instances of instananeuos oversteer in some of the faster sections, resulting in a few spins and multiple cone penalties between us. Still, the other competitors suffered similar fates and we came out on top again.

It was good to finally drive the car fast on the loose and I was amazed how competant it is. It just bites you in the bum surprisingly quickly if you overstep with no way of rescueing it. Lot to learn with this one. The car ran flawlessly agaiin despite the beating. Only issue was a burnt out blower motor for outside air but as the outside air was freezing we didn't miss it much. Might do next time. Easy fix?

Next event: round two on February 15th or thereabouts. Maybe some performance mods can be incorporated before then.

Here's some pictures and video links. More should surface over the next week or so.

IN CAR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czwuIB-PYKA&feature=share&list=UUID6AciwFXFct3HiWQk8BIQ

EXTERIOR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EZOyx9i-m0&feature=share&list=UUID6AciwFXFct3HiWQk8BIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XAqmmQGeUw&feature=share&list=UUID6AciwFXFct3HiWQk8BIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXYIi13jACY&feature=share&list=UUID6AciwFXFct3HiWQk8BIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVzbaKU2trE&feature=share&list=UUID6AciwFXFct3HiWQk8BIQ

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
1/6/13 6:54 p.m.

wow, you weren't kidding about "wide open" course!

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
1/6/13 8:39 p.m.

Looks like it collected a bit less mud than last time!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/6/13 10:03 p.m.

In reply to fornetti14:

That's such a great picture. may I use it "elsewhere"?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/6/13 10:04 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

I don't know Brad.

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
1/6/13 11:05 p.m.

Sweet vids, im jealous!Theres no RallyX within 150 mi radius around where i live, lookin good out there sweet build man.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/7/13 7:06 a.m.

Here's some more videos of the event from Brian Thorpe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TcS7QyQ7RY&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TcS7QyQ7RY&feature=youtu.be

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/7/13 7:09 a.m.
midniteson wrote: Sweet vids, im jealous!Theres no RallyX within 150 mi radius around where i live, lookin good out there sweet build man.

Thanks.

This event is almost 150 miles from us. So there goes that excuse

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
1/7/13 11:19 a.m.

So did you beat Scott or did he beat you???

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/7/13 11:51 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: So did you beat Scott or did he beat you???

he beat me

but the car won

he was also the first to to hit a cone with it (on the parade lap no less)

and the first one to spin it

So, though I'm slower I'm still bettererer.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/7/13 12:06 p.m.
midniteson wrote: Sweet vids, im jealous!Theres no RallyX within 150 mi radius around where i live, lookin good out there sweet build man.

It was just about 300 for me...

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/11/13 2:37 p.m.

I just found out the car produced the fastest time of the day at the RallyCross this past weekend. Scott was driving not me but it's still very gratifying; it was faster than all the heavily modified Subarus and other well developed cars. [CENTER][SIZE="7"]:D:D:D:D:D[/SIZE][/CENTER]

As the car was still on the trailer Tuesday morning we decided to drop it off at [URL="http://www.thompsonracingfabrication.com/"]Thompson Racing Fabrication[/URL] to get some "Porsche Protection" installed. That's skid plates and oil cooler system shields in English.

Their almost completed rally Lancer in the background is amazing.

Despite spending $10 of my life savings and the best part of an hour of my life at the local power wash the underside still looked like this when we got it on the hoist.

Still, it's a lot cleaner then the floor of the power wash bay I used. Wont be invited back there again.

Stuff keeps showing for the car. Wish I had time to install it all. Yesterday pedals, foot rest and a throttle pedal lifter from Pelican.

Today some rubber floor mats. I was going to get racing red but bottled out and got safe grey instead.

I'll post pictures of Ryan's handywork when we get the car back next week.

Have a great weekend.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/15/13 9:28 p.m.

Some images are emerging from the University of [URL="http://www.thompsonracingfabrication.com/"]Thompson Racing Fabrication[/URL]

Front skid plate

Oil tank armor

Oil cooler protection

Oil line shielding

I can't wait to see the harness bar he is creating.

jpnovak
jpnovak New Reader
1/15/13 9:32 p.m.

Don't forget to connect the end of the floor pan under the center tunnel past the sump. You don't want to catch the sway bar, tranny mount or exhaust.

Looking good!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/16/13 7:28 a.m.
jpnovak wrote: Don't forget to connect the end of the floor pan under the center tunnel past the sump. You don't want to catch the sway bar, tranny mount or exhaust. Looking good!

We are going to leave that area naked for now. It would need to be a huge plate under the engine and, as we are not subjecting the car to full-on stage rally, couldn't justify the expense.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
1/16/13 10:23 a.m.

Why a harness bar not a roll bar? I assume you'r not planning on putting people back there.

What's your approx ground clerance at the lowest point?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/16/13 11:10 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Why a harness bar not a roll bar? I assume you'r not planning on putting people back there. ROLL BARS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR WHAT WE PLAN TO DO WITH THE CAR FOR NOW. WE MAY CAGE IT LATER BUT AS CAGES ARE RULE SPECIFIC WE BETTER MAKE SURE WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE BUILD A CAGE FOR BEFORE WE START. What's your approx ground clerance at the lowest point? NO IDEA, SORRY
Adrian_Thompson
1/17/13 7:42 a.m.

Hey PAul, are you taking this up to the Sno*Drift this year, you normaly take up the Jeep and the truck, I hope to see this.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/17/13 9:23 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Hey PAul, are you taking this up to the Sno*Drift this year, you normaly take up the Jeep and the truck, I hope to see this.

That's the plan.

Adrian_Thompson
1/17/13 9:24 a.m.

Cool, I'll offer to drive it up Friday afternoon

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/17/13 9:37 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Cool, I'll offer to drive it up Friday afternoon

Join the queue. You can take turns.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/18/13 5:11 p.m.

Picked the car from Ryan Thompson today and found this gorgeous custom harness bar in the back. Better and cheaper than Sparco. Perhaps yYou should get one.

and the MOMO steering wheel hub arrived.

Now I have the car back I really should bolt some of these goodies on it.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/28/13 8:42 a.m.

We took the car up to the Sno*Drift rally in Lewiston, Michigan this past weekend. Well, my friend Ray did. I drove the van. It was the cars first long distance run so we were a little apprehensive but we needn't have been. The car performed flawlessley and was a big hit.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/13 9:12 a.m.

Wait, was it actually entered in the rally?!?

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hb3oXr6cWOsFk3RNJw3jqSBTiIA0HLRwxs0GO6yZG3xHoaMBIY2G1MrM1Fm9L4sY