twopointwo New Reader
June 21, 2014 2:14 p.m.

Ah, this is relevant to my interests. I daily drive a '90 245, powered by the same utilitarian B230F that yours is, but mine is a 5 spd.

Now that I've sorted out most of the issues, it is fairly reliable and actually surprisingly good on has for it's age/size/weight.

For me, since it's not my "fun" car, I try not to spend any money on it, but here it sits, lowered, on Bilstein HDs, aftermarket supension bits everywhere, with a set of BBS RSs waiting to go on and a K cam waiting to go in when I change the timing belt.

Have you looked in to a 16 valve conversion? I had tossed around the V8 idea forever, but I think a junkyard built 16 valve turbo engine may be significantly easier to execute, especially since I drive it daily and can't afford huge amounts of downtime.

Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
June 21, 2014 3:33 p.m.

If you haven't found it yet: http://forums.turbobricks.com/

Start with "Phase Zero" (make it reliable) and mod up from there. Having had two RWD Turbo Volvo wagons with automatics I'll say that while fairly easy the manual swap wouldn't be first on my list. Turbo it first and then see how the trans holds. Of course if you happen across a complete manual transmission car you can grab all the swap parts for then go for it! My pull-A-Part complete conversions all ran me about $350 plus a new clutch. Remember the 4 speed+overdrive is stronger than the regular 5 speed.

A word about your seats: the junk yard is your friend here. Luckily you have a blue interior. While the blue leather often looks like yours, the blue cloth wears like iron. I've seen cars that look like they've spent 10 years at the bottom of the ocean being dragged behind a submarine with pristine blue cloth seats. Make a deal at the counter before you grab them and you can probably get all three rows for $100. In fact this would probably be the first thing I fixed, but then I'm a bit off.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

47 minutes ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

1 hour ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 hour ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

2 hours ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

20 hours ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

1 day ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

2 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

Deal of the Month: Free Trackside Companion!

2 days ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to dial in your alignment or adjust your dampers?

This Tuesday: Join Us at Track Night in America

2 days ago in News

This Tuesday we'll be running at Palm Beach International Raceway

Experience Monterey With Us

3 days ago in News

We're on our way out to Monterey, California, for car week.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

3 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

Vintage Views: Classic Mini

5 days ago in Articles

Turn heads, have jolly good fun.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
huUGobW7aKoaDuQeVrPgieKHpQxjVxTv