1 2 3 ... 12
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/20/15 7:29 p.m.

I caught wind of this deal on a 1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. A local church that does tune-ups and maintenance for those less fortunate had this V8 wagon that was deemed undriveable. Someone else donated a nicer vehicle for the owner, so she gave this one back to the church. It sat behind a dumpster for a few weeks until I heard about. Why not check it out. Wow, this is in great shape!

It was on it's way to the crusher, and I hate to see that happen to such a pristine example of the final iteration of big, V8, RWD American wagons. $300 later I had the title and keys.

Lady Maschinenbau is not amused..

But what an interior! Blue leather, both front seats are powered, fold-flat 2nd and rear-facing 3rd row, moonroof with shades, "concert audio" package, and ICE COLD A/C BABY!

Last month I picked up a quick-ratio steering box out of a 90's JGC for the El Camino. I think I might have different plans for it now...

$300 + $33.50 = $333.50

Also, can anyone educate me on iron-head LT1's? I know they flow better than the aluminum heads. The head gasket on the driver side has turned the oil into a Wendy's frosty, so that'll be fun. Also, what is going on with that coolant seal in the throttle body? Is it okay to delete this...because I think I'm intaking milkshake through the TB.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/15 7:34 p.m.

you can delete the throttle body coolant passage by looping the hoses. it's to keep throttle plates from icing in colder climates.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
9/20/15 7:37 p.m.

Great googly moogly, I LOVE THAT WAGON!!!

pres589
pres589 UberDork
9/20/15 7:37 p.m.

Lot of coolant bypasses on the throttle body out there. Sounds like some JB Weld after that's done to close off whatever leak you've got going on might be smart.

I believe the camshaft is a bit less lumpy on these cars vs. the F&Y bodies. Not sure what's out there cheap, maybe a used LT4 cam would be a good upgrade.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
9/20/15 7:49 p.m.

Just say "Honey, it matches with your boots!" Ya know, women are into that sorta thing.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
9/20/15 7:50 p.m.

Just say "Honey, it matches with your boots!" Ya know, women are into that sorta thing.

PS. Good save btw

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
9/20/15 7:52 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Great googly moogly, I LOVE THAT WAGON!!!

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/20/15 8:05 p.m.

Go get her a psl in it. Women love psls.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/20/15 8:25 p.m.

That is just an entire army of awesome!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/20/15 10:01 p.m.

Nice!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/20/15 10:35 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Go get her a psl in it. Women love psls.

That does not mean what you think it means to people near the southern border.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
9/21/15 12:11 a.m.

Nice score Travis! Tell me it has the tow package; it looks like it has the tow package...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/21/15 6:11 a.m.

Jared, it does not have the tow package :( All I would want from that is the positraction, but I think I can find one. Already has an aux trans cooler, in addition to the radiator trans lines. Also the load-adjusting shock system I hear is not very robust. I have the "Gran Touring Suspension"

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
9/21/15 7:51 a.m.

Ah, gotcha. Super cool in any case. Definitely worth saving.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
9/21/15 9:12 a.m.

So what rendered it "undriveable?" The blown head gasket?

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
9/21/15 9:18 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Lady Maschinenbau is not amused..

Your significant others response is pretty funny and similar to what my Wife probably would have done (does). Well done you.

maschinenbau
9/21/15 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

Blown head gasket and likely Opti-spark issues. No power and lots of white smoke from left bank.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
9/21/15 9:29 a.m.

so it was beyond the scope of what your church could do with the car. But not beyond the scope of what maschinenbau can do with the car. And so it begins....

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/21/15 9:38 a.m.

I might be a bit envious.

Nice car, though.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/21/15 9:44 a.m.

Given your reference to Lady Maschinenbau and your car's higher calling, I think we'll bestow upon you the title of Lord Maschinenbau and your Chariot of The Gods.

Should we take this as your formal declaration of Challenge attendance or is that deceleration still reserved after further sorting of The Chariot?

maschinenbau
9/21/15 12:13 p.m.

No formal declaration yet. But I'll keep working on it as if I were going.

andxx0r
andxx0r New Reader
9/21/15 12:22 p.m.

Roadmaster brothers! We are Roadmaster brooooooooooooooothers!

I can't wait to see where this one goes.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/21/15 1:00 p.m.

Also, if you ever don't want those sun shades let me know.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/24/15 9:00 a.m.

That is totally saveable from the crusher. There must be a ton of LT1s or other engines that will drop into that. That interior looks mint!

Lady Maschinenbau is not amused..

I zoomed in, she looks amused.

maschinenbau
9/25/15 1:55 p.m.

Progress on the head gasket replacement. So much milkshake... also the valve cover gasket is brand new. Suspiciously new. Head bolts are out and rockers are loose, so I'm ready to scrape and clean tonight.

This weekend I'm looking at some craigslist headers, 1.6 ratio rockers, and a 9C1 parts car that supposedly has a posi rear.

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f81FI0sXFApDqQ6gtBy9N64bMsq9InpRRNMX47OgdL4hNKyM8EZsZqkumSrKtgcm