1 2 3
Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
7/18/13 3:23 p.m.
accordionfolder wrote: I didn't look at the length and diameter of the front, so I wasn't sure. It's a lot of cheap fun, I would like to get a junkyard turbo setup on it till I pop the d16. Just trying to get the basics covered first.

My bad, I thought both the front and back were the same length. I'd be pretty surprised if the diameter was different.

Also, what Beans said. MOAR

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/19/13 1:56 p.m.

Cool little car. How much did you buy it for?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
7/19/13 6:42 p.m.

Ha! I'm on vacation, the poor thing is in storage since I was going to be gone for 2 weeks.

It was 2500 with all extras. I'm getting ready to move and HOPEFULLY it'll be to a place with a garage. Or I'll be sad. I'm tired of working on the side of the road.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
8/26/13 4:36 p.m.

The car and I made it to San Francisco. It's done a bit of traveling, but I should be able to go autocrossing this weekend! More updates to come.

carbon
carbon Reader
8/27/13 12:43 a.m.

This is my kind of street car! Makes my mr2 look luxurious!

TAParker
TAParker New Reader
9/4/13 12:54 p.m.

Just checking back in......nice build....more pics???

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/4/13 2:02 p.m.

Wow is this really the first time I've seen this build thread?

Those spring rates are pretty hard by racing standards and crazy for anything street driven. But they do get you that F1-like totally flat cornering.

Harder rear springs on a front-heavy car can be good for autocross but will probably make the back too loose for a good track setup.

solfly
solfly New Reader
9/4/13 3:30 p.m.

those spring rates aren't that bad. most HC guys run that or higher and most run a staggered setup as well.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
9/22/13 9:00 p.m.

The 60 mile journey in the gutted race car went exactly as one would expect. Many a foggy window ( I brought a towel!) and jarring expansion joints (the Golden Gate is less majestic whilst being beat within an inch of ones life). I ran through 2 torrential downpours, but against most odds I did make it (effff you mother nature).

The morning was .... wet.

Look at all those happy faces!

I know that's a lot of video, I'd recommend watching 6-8, they're the most entertaining. Though it could have been faster runs 10-11 are the "smoothest."

Runs 1-5 were wet, and pretty rough(er). I was trying things, getting a feel for the car, etc.

run-1

run-2

run-3

run-4

run-5

Runs 6-11 where in the dry, but wathcing other people, I see where I was losing a lot of time, etc.

run-6

run-7

run-8

run-9

run-10

run-11

I didn't make it to the Sunday autoX, I wanted to but over slept. As it's a 1+ hour drive I needed to be gone @ 740 at the latest and I woke up at 8am. I was beat on Saturday.

Oh well.

crazycanadian
crazycanadian Reader
9/23/13 12:34 a.m.

Looks it was a fun event...

Watching your video's you have some driving skills to learn.. As you get a better feel for the car you'll want to trust in controlling oversteer with the throttle more, rather then steering input...

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
9/23/13 2:16 a.m.

Indeed, it's only my 5th autoX (1-3 where done over 4 years and in all different cars), second in this car. I feel like I improved as the day progressed even.

I finally got around to ordering a passenger seat so I can get an instructor along next time.

solfly
solfly New Reader
9/23/13 9:40 a.m.

nice work man, keep getting seat time. that's the best thing now

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
9/25/13 10:57 a.m.

Someone finally got pictures of me driving!

solfly
solfly New Reader
9/25/13 1:15 p.m.

hard to say how much of a corner you're in in pic #2 but the car seems pretty flat so that's good.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
9/25/13 2:18 p.m.

In reply to solfly:

I think I'm going to externally mount the gopro next time I have the car out to see how the suspension is moving, etc. I'm keeping my eye on craigslist for another herohd2, seems like they should be coming down in price pretty hard.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
9/28/13 8:19 p.m.

I got some stuff!

6 point Harness:

Matching passenger seat!

Hopefully the seat rails get here before the HPDE @ Laguna Seca. Gotta have a passenger seat for an instructor.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/4/13 1:12 p.m.

I'm all mostly prepped for the HPDE this weekend.

I got the six point installed a few ago.

This past Saturday I got the 5 point installed.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
3/2/14 8:55 p.m.

In hopes to get the rattletrap registered we have dashboard!

It's from an EX automatic (yay a tach!), but it seems to work fine. I have no idea how I'm going to get the dash in around the cage, but at least I've got it started!

Also the Mazdaspeed3 is earning it's keep: truck duty.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
4/21/14 12:20 p.m.

Buttonwillow Raceway. More on that later.

That's in Cotton's Corners, a pretty hard corner, look how flat she is!

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/21/14 3:23 p.m.

Looking good man. Loving the updates.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
4/21/14 4:16 p.m.

This is great! I'm totally new to the Honda & FWD world, so I'm devouring this stuff as I prepare Grumpy.

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
4/28/14 12:07 a.m.

Sweet car. Looks like a lot of fun!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
1/7/15 10:36 a.m.

Against all odds and all my attempts at selling her. I still have the damn thing!

And now with a garage. Let the carnage begin anew.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vZFW9MsWZV7Tr1siBK7E8Z0ujGAiicbdZ6NbFetmtqGU0oEFLckTY5XRPX5li89X