1 2 3
ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/17/13 7:10 p.m.

Ok just bought 96 firebird.motor knocking.its pretty clean.new exhalst tires.has t-tops.i already found a few motors cheap like 200-500.to bad i cant put the 5.7 in it.if i did decide to put 5.7 i know ill have to change computer and wirering.anyone have any knoledge in putting motors in these cars.im gona have to do this one too clean.probly put the 3.8 back in.but wondering what all would have to be changed to put v8.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/17/13 7:19 p.m.

Turbo the V6.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/17/13 7:27 p.m.

Really ive done found 3 motors with the turbo for around 250 out of buick park avenue you think ill have to change much?

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
9/17/13 7:34 p.m.
ilovevintage wrote: Really ive done found 3 motors with the turbo for around 250 out of buick park avenue you think ill have to change much?

Que?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/17/13 7:56 p.m.

I'm not sure the Buick Park Avenue ever came with a turbo. I always recommend browsing ls1tech.com for swap ideas.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/17/13 7:57 p.m.

In reply to BoostedBrandon:

I found some 3.8 motors but there out of park avenue.im not forsure if the heads will work.i dont really want to switch heads.dont mind taking intake off.i here these motors run pretty good.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/17/13 7:59 p.m.

In reply to DoctorBlade:

Ive been there before to look at that site,butdidnt check it out much.thanks ill take a look.this is type car i always wanted besides not haveing the 350.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/17/13 9:30 p.m.

The motor out of the Park Avenue is most likely a SuperCharged 3.8L seeing that they were available in those. Those engines were not turbocharged.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/17/13 9:43 p.m.

I went back and looked yeah super charged ill look at mine tomarrow.that motor is tightin there hate to see how tight v8 is.guess ill have to switch intake and stuff.i thought they were worth more but only got 490 in it.ill be pulling in garage tomarrow and see how mucch work i got.ill definetly take pictures as i go so ill know where everything goes.memery not good anymore.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/17/13 10:03 p.m.

If you can score a whole supercharged 3.8 for cheap, I'd look into that, instead of just switching out heads and the intake.

There are guys here versed in playing around with ECMs much more than I, but maybe you could do a 3.8L Supercharged motor with a Megasquirt system.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/17/13 11:52 p.m.

Those GM ECMs have been cracked for a very long time. There is not really any advantage for going MS on them everything can be adjusted/logged/tweaked whatever with either the HP tuner software or similar.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/18/13 4:30 a.m.

What sucks is pulling beside that 350 and cant do nothing.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/13 9:57 a.m.

Is this an auto or manual car? Swapping to a V8 would require an complete harness, PCM, accessories, mounts, and possibly a different transmission.

Not worth the trouble. Just put in another V6 and drive it, or sell for profit.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/13 12:02 p.m.

The transverse 3800 V6's out of Park Avenues and such does not share commonality with the longitudinal 3800 in your Camaro. You can't even really get the factory supercharger to fit, not that you'd want to anyway.

Your best bet is to find a good 93-02 Camaro or Firebird 3800 V6 and swapping it in. If you want to modify it, they are actually very good engines and are descendents of the 3.8L V6 used in the Buick Grand National and GNX. There is a 3800 V6 Camaro in our local club that went low-12's all motor and dipped into the 10's after a turbocharged buildup.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/18/13 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

You saying i cant just switch intake.it will bolt up right?

Javelin
9/18/13 6:17 p.m.

In reply to ilovevintage:

No, you can not just switch the intake for the blower. Real life doesn't work that way. The transverse 3800 has the fuel injectors in the heads, the longitudinal one has them in the lower intake manifold, amongst other glaring differences such as that the S/C would be sucking air from approximately the radio in a Firebird had yo managed to hack it in there.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/18/13 6:39 p.m.

Man well i guess ill have to spend the 900 on motor that sucks.maybe ill get lucky and my heads be good and just gasket bad.so the block will be the same right.

Javelin
9/18/13 6:56 p.m.

It's actually less work to swap a complete engine in these than to do the head gaskets as the whole engine has to come out either way. I'd buy a good used engine from a respected recycler like LKQ and install it. Note that the engine sits in a cradle with the front suspension, and the whole unit comes out from the bottom of the car.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/18/13 7:14 p.m.

It really does man i was going to try pull out the top.thanks for info.im not spending over 1000 on motor when i can find these cars running for 1500.probly would like to have heads checked anyways.maybe i can still keep under 500.is it harder to pull motor and trans from bottom?

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/18/13 7:38 p.m.

What you know about the trans?its auto.will a 350 bolt up to it?

Im thinking 350 with headers to make easy fit,but looks like may have to move radiator.wonder why radiator is at a angle?

I can get computer probly cheap maybe from the same motor i pull.

Thats what id rather do.

Do they have motor mount kit? I know they have to because people do it all the time.

Im hoping to find something with 350 totaled.really would like new trans too,even if i have to cut driveshaft.

Any hints? Anyone done that on here? Now doing that i wont mind spending 1500 or more. Just worried about motor hitting power sterring or anything else.

Could i do a little older style with highrise and hood scoop?

I dont care about sencors or emissions if car will operate .as long as oil cage and all that stuff will work.

Anyway i can hook motor up and eliminate all that extra computer stuff like getting older style?

I dont mind adding couple extra gages.as long as i can get ac,power brakes and power steering to work.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
9/18/13 7:44 p.m.

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?25168-V6-to-V8-Engine-Swap-4th-Gen

There is a list of the parts you need in that thread.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/18/13 8:03 p.m.

Some reason it keeps saying error when i click on link

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
9/18/13 9:01 p.m.

This is what you need. LT 1 v8 engine & Trans

1.K frame (Engine Mount Location) 2.Trans cross member (can be modified,Hole needs elongated) 3.Front springs and shocks 4.Throttle cable (different end) 5.Trans shifter cable. (end larger) 6.Engine wire harness 7.Engine Control Module. 8.Cruise control cable (different end.) 9.Radiator (V8 thicker) 10.Radiator hoses. 11.Heater hose asmb. 12.Emergency Brake cables. (If you swap to V8 rear end) 13.Drive shaft. ( If you have a 2 piece) 14.P/S reservoir (V8 mounted on inner Wheel Well) 15.Radiator fans (v6 = 1 fan, v8 = 2 fans) 16.A/C lines (will work from v6 to v8 comp.)

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/18/13 9:09 p.m.

Yeah i run into the fan problems before on 86 transam.bought it and it was running hot.it had them tie on fans.and didnt have the scoop on bottom that shoots up air.we got factory fans and scoop and ran cool.i noticed this one dont have that scoop it missing.

Hey thanks for info.

Just wondering why i would have to change springs and shocks,is it because of wieght or just in the way?

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/18/13 9:12 p.m.

Ive done found a bunch lt1 for under 500.havent seen no trans.does trans work off computer too i guess so.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B7JaHqaAsGY0bxQGCmmqsvvCyxuPmhmIMDW0A29bfesgoq5cwOaC8ryIl8XIImw7