1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/13 12:59 p.m.

In reply to ilovevintage:

Dude, dude, dude, seriously? The only common parts between your car and an LT1 Firebird is restricted to pretty much the basic body shell and interior. Nearly every single mechanical and electrical part is different, including the rear axle, brakes, suspension, radiator, wiring harness, computers, transmission, driveshaft, and a thousand other little parts you've never though of like EVAP canisters and A/C hoses. You will spend way, way, way more money properly converting that car than just buying a clean LT1 car in the first place. Yes, the springs and shocks are different, not just for the weight, but also for the power. The V6 transmission will also not work behind the V8, and neither will the electronics that control it.

As for bolting in an old school 350, it's not going to happen. No carburetor intake will fit in the 4th generation F-Body without serious, permanent surgery of the cutting metal type. The carb would basically be in the dash board, underneath the windshield. You would not be able to use the stock gauge cluster at all, or keep A/C, or keep PS, etc, etc.

Buy a good 3800, install it, and sell the car. Save your pennies and buy a factory V8 car.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/19/13 7:47 p.m.

Ok this guy has 2005 chevy impalla 3.8 engine and trans.do you guys think it will work? Man i hope so i think hes ready to sell cheap.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/19/13 7:58 p.m.

Ok just found out it a sideways motor.why would they put that in a impalla?

Javelin
9/20/13 12:35 a.m.

NO, it will not work. The Impala is a W-Body, which is FWD.

The only engine that will work in your car is a 3800 V6 from a 1993-2002 Firebird or Camaro. That's it, period the end.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/21/13 10:05 a.m.

Ok found motor still in car runs for 350 but i have to take it out.

Do you guys have basic idea how to take out from bottom i want to go get it?

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/21/13 1:07 p.m.

Hey guys i just drove car again and wondering can a head gasket make the car smoke oil smoke.i dont think its a ring.but need a opinion if theres anyway the heads valves or gasket can make it smoke real bad really badblue smoke.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/21/13 6:02 p.m.

See when i got car dude said his girl messed it up before they split up.i think she dropped something in motor.its not knocking no more.but smoke coming out manifold in front.and out the tail pipe too.really wonder if it has burnt vavle and bad head gasket.because smokes when first starts.then jusy smoke out manifold on one side.

I know motor bad,but thinking theres a chance its gasket,but dont know if head or gasket would make it do that.it did like backfire and smoke came out manifold while driving.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/22/13 6:50 p.m.

Can head or head gasket make it blow oil smoke just like a bad ring?

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
9/22/13 6:53 p.m.

Something like worn out valve guides could do that.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/22/13 7:20 p.m.

Ok whats wierd didnt smoke for 3 miles then got to 250 degrees started smokeing.i took thermastat out runs cool now.i think dudes girl put something like bb's in it.doesnt make no knocking noise did at first.probly bad ring,but ill know when i get head off.also smoke comeing out exhalst manifold on one side.i dont know why but i always try to save a motor even when its probly bad.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
10/1/13 8:44 p.m.

I guess im about to take motor out.you know whats wierd didnt smoke at all till it got to around 250 like it blew something but just dont think its a ring.guess ill find out when i pull motor.

What all do they have for extra power.do they have a chip?

What all can i do to heads to produce more power?

I know stock think it has 200hp.would like to get 250hp.

Do you guys know what kind tranny these have?wish i knew a good tranny guy to put a little more kick.

im going to try and find motor out of park avenue and just use the block.seems like since them motors was built for supercharger maybe the bottom is built better.would like to atleast run with 305 buti know im not going to have the 700r4 trans like most them have.

Heck long as i can burn rubber i be good.

You guys know what kind of gears in rearend what the difference in mine and one with v8?

Ive got all winter to do the job so i want to make motor pretty to.always seeing them parkavenue motors with real low miles so long as block will work.

I know car really not worth putting over 1000 in but atleast i will be able to say i did the work.

Another ? How about exhalst can i even puttrue duel exhalst on it?and can i get more power by doing some exhalst work?

I was thinking a chip might add 25 hp exhalst might add 10.headwork add around 20hp.but thats dreams any advise?

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
10/2/13 9:59 a.m.

Google is your friend. I think the group here has been quite patient with your posts.

Javelin
10/2/13 12:28 p.m.

Oh, you're back? You sound enthusiastic, so I'll keep trying here...

For extra power the best way to deal with the 3800 is forced induction. They were designed for it from the factory. They do not make stellar power naturally aspirated. 200HP / 225TQ is what you have, and honestly 250HP is a total pipe dream. You would need long-tube headers, a much larger cam, bigger valves, ported heads, a custom intake, and a completely revised ECU setup to get there without boost (I know, I helped a guy in our club do it).

There is no "chip". Your car is OBDII and can be reprogrammed with a handheld tuner.

The heads can benefit from traditional work such as porting, a 5-angle valve job, larger valves, and assembly with better components such as beehive springs, roller rockers, guideplates, etc. You can easily spend over $1,000 on the heads and make maybe 15HP. Home port-matching and a decent machine shop 3-angle valve job might make you 5HP.

The transmission is a 4L60E if it's an auto, not a bad trans but it's V6-spec, including having a different bellhousing and smaller torque convertor. It is electronically controlled. You can buy a transmission handheld tuner and install a shift kit.

A manual trans is going to be a V6-spec Borg Warner T5. Lots of stuff to do there.

A Park Avenue motor WILL NOT WORK. Let me repeat myself since you seem to have not read the rest of this thread, the FRONT WHEEL DRIVE Buick engine WILL NOT WORK in your REAR WHEEL DRIVE Firebird. Okay? Not one single part is going to be useful to you at all.

Again, find a re-manufactured or a used 3800 V6 from a 96-02 Camaro or Firebird, and swap the WHOLE thing in.

The rear end likely be a 3.08 gear with your automatic. It is a completely different axle from a V8 car. Your only option is to swap in a 3.23 gear from a V6 manual trans version.

You cannot put real dual exhaust on a 4th generation f-body without dragging it on the ground or having something stupid like sidepipes. The floorpan is designed for a single large pipe from the cats all the way to the rear muffler aft of the axle. You can put a 3"+ pipe there, but your engine would never need anything more than a 2.5". You will see maybe 5HP with a complete custom exhaust from the manifolds back.

My advice is to sell the car and buy something with a V8. I doubt you have a lift yet to pull the engine cradle out from underneath it. Let the junkyard have this one and move on.

solfly
solfly New Reader
10/2/13 2:57 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to ilovevintage: My advice is to sell the car and buy something with a V8. I doubt you have a lift yet to pull the engine cradle out from underneath it. Let the junkyard have this one and move on.

this

06HHR
06HHR Reader
10/2/13 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Javelin: Either OP isn't reading the posts on this thread or he's ignoring you. Either way, your words are wasted here. Shame because it's good advice.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/2/13 9:00 p.m.

OK I'm going to say what we're all thinking:

The OP is going to wind up being a mega dork messing with us.

If not, you get an A+ for enthusiasm ilovevintage, but a D- in comprehension and grammar.

I see you're in " louisvillr, ky ". I happen to live in Louisville, KY. If they are indeed the same place feel free to contact me and I'll try my best to point you in the right direction. Thereby saving the rest of us from the lesser-known Chinese torture "Death of a thousand FacePalms".

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
10/2/13 9:25 p.m.

Ive been reading about using a series 1 intake instead,and smaller pully.i dont need a lift.i have attic in my garage can use chain hoist.vf6 body.com had nice thread how to pull motor out bottom,just drop k frame.im hearing all these guys getting 350hp.with just cam,rockers intercooler,and exhalst work.theres alot of upgrades,i can have motor out in a day.just need to build some stands.clean garage to get it all the way in the back so ill have room to roll motor tranny out.

This car may have 270,000 miles,but clean sterring was tight.i want to paint too metalflake blue.i wont be junking it.too clean and my favorite cars.im thinking about doing rebuild on this one.

Dont plan on useing nitros but am hyped,and read so many threads all over the place and power can be there.i like to get alot of info before starting.

Its likd fixing your grandpaws car up.would be nice in 30 years see the odomiter go to 1,000,000.

Dont critisize me on lift.i dont even have all the tools yet.dont even have 1/2 drive set yet,but do have a big pole for leverage(lol).

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
10/2/13 9:27 p.m.

Another thing these dudes just bought one like mine for 200 runs good but has lean.thinking about offering 300 and strip it,but has 139,;000 miles.man what to do.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/2/13 9:34 p.m.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/3/13 12:17 a.m.

Does anyone remember that guy who was around here for a while that really really liked toyota echos?

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
10/3/13 4:33 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Does anyone remember that guy who was around here for a while that really really liked toyota echos?

I don't. Please tell me the story, it'll help break this neverending thread up a bit.

didthe ecko kid have good exhalst?I likr good exhalst.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/3/13 6:29 a.m.

Just do what you want. You don't seem to pay attention to anything anyone here has told you. Honestly, your writing is atrocious, and posting here isn't going to help you develop those skills either. So, life plan time; stop posting here for a while, and go get the engine or car or whatever it is you want, and start building. Take pictures and document it and come back a long time from now and let us know how it goes.

Maybe in the meantime take a writing class.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/3/13 7:46 a.m.

ilovevintage--I appreciate your excitement and love for cars, but I think you need to slow down, take a deep breath, and re-evaluate. You don't have tools (or much experience or mechanical car knowledge it sounds like), so I think you should just junk this car, save your pennies, and buy a car with a good motor. Then you can modify it as you learn and your tool collection grows. No need to rush. Just my $.02.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
10/3/13 8:55 a.m.

Hey guys how good are you foreals must not be that good.anyone with 3rd grade ed could read and understand what im writing.i tell u what put us on 2 of the same cars out in a desert with just a 20 dollar socket set abd fix stuff.lets see who can engineer up a way to get it done.i can do stuff with 1/4 of what you guys have.are you guys problem solvers oh dont let me forget ?.oh i dont write good so dont post whatever.thanks for who ever helped.once i figure out how to take this motor out bet i could do it in half the time any u guys can,well maybe not all of you.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
10/3/13 9:06 a.m.

And seriosly whats up with all these forieghn cars,are u guys scared of american muscle.or you just like to have the forieghn do it for you.

I mean everything thing else we buy comes from china or elsewhere.you know why because were too lazy americans.

Some of you guys not that smart no joke notised that from few of your threads.not smart just have deep pockets and yeah thats ok,are you street smart can you live off the land?can you take nothing and make something out of it?

Toy engines put them in a powerwheels and go.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cCTGQTV6gFzAKrcZYewwqGX3HxgwinFSgpQvhLJvK8nGyf0nSq1UJUxqICgBfvjg