1 2 3
Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/15/20 4:48 p.m.

If you're looking for more weight reductions the hood and trunk can be replaced with plexiglass.  Just buy a couple sheets from Lowe's cut them to fit and wrap them.   Good pins on the corners will pull it tight to the body.  I run them on my car.   

also these are cheap and will save you over 50lbs    

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997-style-GT3-Seats-in-Black-Cloth-w-Black-FRP-Backing-EURO-GT2-PAIR/161752094079?epid=1963314499&hash=item25a92d157f:g:Mo0AAOSw5w1etgti

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/15/20 6:11 p.m.

In reply to :Box4VIR

Yes, thanks Box4VIR, I've been considering several alternatives for replacing trunk, frunk, and adding a cockpit cover. Do you have a pic of yours? I'd like to see it if you wouldn't mind. What thickness? Cracking problems? High speed stability? Years ago on another project I was considering commercial heat shrink vinyl. So, either a light frame covered with material or something firmer such as your suggestion. This doesn't have to qualify for any sanctioning body and rules. I'm open to ideas on this.

That is a good price for the seats and will hang on to the ad. I was thinking of a Kirkey and cutting the right thigh support off and using the tunnel in it's place. This would also move the body weight in a little - provided the steering (going manual) could be shifted a little.

Vikingo
Vikingo
9/24/20 6:40 a.m.

This is coming on nice;-)

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/3/20 10:42 p.m.

Love the new little shop! Pulled over a hundred more pounds, 2,320, but some will have to go back on in a more diminutive and lighter form. Plan on dropping down to between 2,050 - 2,150, then adding around 150 back on.

I'm using classic style stands here. Can't find my old HF stands but maybe that's a good thing.

Pulled this side profile off of Facebook's Boxster Outlaws and trimmed it with good ol' Paint2. This is sort of what I'm thinking and around 32" - 40" shorter than stock. Windshield will probably come off and have a single occupant little windshield. Lots of re-routing aero for efficiency and downforce, which I'm really stoked about.

Edit; will probably go with black and gold JPS Lotus colors.

NEXT

Cheap but functional coilovers. Just ordered Yellow Speed Racing. Adjustable and the correct springs - good enough

for now.

THEN

Tires. Square setup using stock rear wheels all around (courtesy of Jon), Nitto NTO5, 235/40/17, smaller diameter than stock, lightest of the available choices and  a fairly wide 8.5" tread. Good enough for a street buggy for now until sure about size. Thinking of going to 245/35/ 17 for even lower diameter and more tread. Get the alignment and height about right and

THEN

Sabre saw time.

Box4VIR
10/4/20 4:48 a.m.

Wow this is super ambitious I love it!  What are you going to use for bumpers once it's shortened?   The front rads might need to traded for a single one in the back of the fronk. Otherwise mechanically shortening shouldn't be a big deal.  I think just shortening the rear and cutting the windshield could look great.   I think getting a front shirt bumper to look good is going to be tough.  The front has the complexity of the fenders, bumper, headlights and hood all coming together.  The rear could be shortened just by trimming the bumper and trunk (which is a simple shape).   

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 9:51 a.m.

The bumpers will be hidden behind the body and will be just enough to be legal. The cooling has been my major uncertainty but moving to the back is an option as your project shows. I would like to keep their weight up front, though. Yes, the rear will be fairly flat with some kind of mesh grill for air flow and would like to bring the exhaust up through the trunk area and exit higher to clean up underbody airflow. The front headlight area will be tough for my limited skills and experience but the learning process should be fun. The windshield is in the way of the air flow but it might look the best. I really want to cut down everything in between the fenders - lower the frunk, windshield, cockpit, and trunk areas if that makes sense. Depending on how much of that is cut down (1-4") will determine seat height and position, although the brake bits and pieces will affect forward vision to a degree. I don't really want to try moving any of it.

For the record; I have never welded or done extensive bodywork. Come to think of it, I'm a pretty crappy mechanic! but the heart is willing.

Box4VIR
10/4/20 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Hasbro (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry by bumpers I meant bumper cover.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I'd do the front last, sharpen your skills first.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2aNtKnwGAS4lkCcnmpj2pk1TbEAed46zS5HcWe0RAIHuB3FihyC1I2hWFNz4PjEF