1 2 3 4
Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/11/14 7:31 p.m.

So I picked this up for $1400 with a cracked radiator. It has 200xxx miles and a good bit of aftermarket parts. The car has H&R race springs, Bilstein shocks(most likely worn out), H&R front sway bar, ECIS cold air intake, 17x7.5 wheels (obscure brand), M3 cats and muffler, sagging glove box, headliner and door panels!

Went ahead and did the whole cooling system, aluminum radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump, and hoses. Did and test run up the road and let it idle once warm and everything seems to be working so far. I have also painted the mirrors, fixed the obc, and installed a new shift knob. I bought an M3 dif with the LSD but I'm waiting to instal it after I have riven it some and can hopefully tell the difference, instead of just throwing everything on all at once. Just need to get a plate and it will be my DD/Track/Autox car. I want this car to look decent but perform well. I have never done a track day and this is my way into the game hopefully.

Now for pictures!

I have a running list of things that need to be addressed and upgrades. Next is to drive it and make sure its road worthy, then checking all the suspension pieces/bushings.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/11/14 7:34 p.m.

This is going to be a grassroots build, since all the money so far has come from the sale of another project, and I'll be working on a limited monthly budget, unless I sell some other items or work extra.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/11/14 7:35 p.m.

Nice!

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
9/11/14 8:29 p.m.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/12/14 12:45 p.m.

Is this an E36 chassis car? I thought they stopped selling those in 98? If so, that's a great thing. You can avoid the frame issues the E46 is becoming known for.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
9/12/14 1:32 p.m.

What frame issues do the E46 have?

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/12/14 1:45 p.m.

Yes this is an e36, 99 was the last yr for them. This one is basically a 325 but they renamed it the 323 once the 328 came out, so it has the 2.5 l straight 6. They also dumbed down the power since they were not selling the 4 cyl any more but its easily brought back up with intake and exhaust which this car already has!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/12/14 2:47 p.m.

I'll be watching this one.

Mr_Clutch42 - some E46 rear subframes had issues. Most cars don't have a problem, but there are some that do. I may be wrong in saying this, but in my mind I equate it to the Porsche IMS issue in that I believe it's overblown. A good thing to check, though.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/12/14 2:53 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: What frame issues do the E46 have? Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

Google "e46 frame cracking issues" and start reading. You'll see pretty quickly what I'm talking about.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/15/14 10:51 a.m.

Picked these up today. Thew fake suede is for the headliner and pillars since they are beyond repair and need to be recovered. Picked up a plate today to so I can start driving and see what else it needs!

mightymike
mightymike Reader
9/15/14 4:42 p.m.

Very nice.

Needs a GRM sticker.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/15/14 8:05 p.m.

Took it for the first test run today and its pretty sweet for a $1400 car with 207xxx miles. Cooling system seems to be holding up fine. Car feels tight. Coming from my WRX with a stock short shift it needs some work on the shifter. Needs a short shift and new bushings. Also want to work on the interior some and get the sagging headliner out and off my head. Also glued my glove box back together today, installing tomorrow.

Glove box

Need to secure the battery as well, and maybe a lighter battery?

Also need to find a BMW cell phone!

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/20/14 5:09 p.m.

I've been working on the interior bits since they are bothering me, and I have been driving it a lot. I will get to the suspension soon but it all fells really tight so I'm not too worried about it until I hit the track or my first autox.

I fixed the glove box

The headliner was terrible:

So I pulled the headliner:

and covered it in fake suede:

Dont have any shots of it in the car yet but after 5 hours it looks pretty amazing.

Also fixed the headlights, before: After: (doesn't look as good in pictures but it was a huge difference)

And last but not least a GRM sticker!

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/20/14 5:19 p.m.

Oh and a shot of my sweet ebay aluminum radiator:

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/20/14 7:30 p.m.

Great progress!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/14 7:45 p.m.

I like this!

mightymike
mightymike Reader
9/20/14 8:21 p.m.

The sticker alone is worth 10hp! Nice work on the headliner.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/25/14 7:34 p.m.

I found an awesome deal on some 330i sport seats so I jumped on them since mine are pretty shot and the sport seat have way more bolster. Any e46 seat will fit but you have to widen the bolt holes a bit, they are too far apart on the e46 rails. Then wire up some constant power and a ground. The seat warmer plugs right in! These are way heavier then stock but I'm not too concerned given the price. All the change I picked up from beside/under the seats may make up for the difference in weight . Still haven't taken a picture of the head liner. So far just the passenger seat is in.

Cleaned the carpet too.

The unfix-able drivers seat:

If anyone needs some e36 seats in bad shape let me know! I can't decide if I want to try and sell them or keep them for a later project.

Drivers side out:

And thats all for tonight. Drivers seat will be in tomorrow.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
9/25/14 8:08 p.m.

Looking good! making me miss my old 323is.........

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/26/14 7:13 p.m.

Got the drivers seat in, neither seat has the seat warmers wired up but I will figure that out at some point. Both work and are sooo much better then the originals. Now I just need to fix some of the stitching on the drivers seat and they will be good to go! Finally took some pictures of the head liner, need to finish the sun roof too...

Need to decide if I want to do the pillars in the suede. They are holding up fine so it can definitely wait. The headliner is wrinkled in a few small spots but not enough to be noticeable by anyone but me. Next one the list is to look the suspension over and get the short shifter and bushings. I'm working an extra weekend coming up so it will provide some extra $ for the car.

There is an autox coming up at the end of October I might try and get to, its a weekend I have a camping trip planned so we will see...

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
9/26/14 7:42 p.m.

Progress looks great! I like the headliner

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
9/26/14 8:24 p.m.

My buddy and wife thought the suede was a and idea until we went to cars and coffee and saw all the high dollar bimmers and mercs with suede interior bits! Maybe I can do the door inserts...

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
10/1/14 4:46 p.m.

The first of the month! That means my budget has been supplemented! Just ordered a short shift kit from understeer and some bushing and things from pelican parts to get rid of that sloppy shifter. They say it can be done without dropping the exhaust and drive shaft so I'm going to try my hardest not to. If I do then I will probably replace the guibo and possibly the drive shaft bearing.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/3/14 9:20 p.m.

Hopefully it doesn't get too expensive for you.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/14 6:15 a.m.

Nice job! Falling headliners have always been a deal killer for me. I'd love to see a DIY headliner replacement article.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DORJ5CDdQKDvYjLi9VskBddgYv5SCsqZwvzkpXLR6czmkbn2JgkeNS5qBzZn5okh