java230 UltraDork
9/25/18 10:04 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Meh if its a "wall vehicle, block the thing up and fill it with concrete! :D

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/18 12:47 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Make a planter out of it, fill the engine bay/trunk/interior with dirt & whatever type plants you want. 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/25/18 7:44 p.m.

Kind of late to the thread, but I’d try to find some more info on that Garage. Looking at the style of architecture, it was definitely a service station at some point before it was a bike dealer. As close as it is to the road, I bet it had one or two pumps right up against the building. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/15/18 1:32 p.m.

OK, so i came across that shorty '72 Ford on craigslist myself and want it.  But unfortunately I have no need for a wall vehicle.  BUY IT.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/19/18 8:56 p.m.

No wall vehicle, unfortunately, since construction has begun.  We're (well, a contractor) gonna build a wall and the guy who hit the last one is gonna pay for it!  

A lot of concrete, and the thing is full of rebar too.  It should do the job when the next car comes along.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/20/18 7:42 a.m.

I would drop  boulder or two outside the wall,  perhaps several along the sidewalk.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/20/18 7:55 a.m.

How deep?  I have a mental image of the wall painted with yellow and black stripes. cheeky

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
10/20/18 7:56 a.m.

I know a guy, I'm sure we all do lol, that had a problem with kids mailboxing him (taking a baseball bat to his mailbox late at night). He eventually moved it back from the road so it was fully on his property, and then filled the base with concrete. I'm not sure if it was the new distance from the road, or the concrete, but the mailboxing stopped.

This just reminded me of that - you're definitely not going to have any more problems, unless a semi hits it!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/20/18 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

It's tied into the footer from the previous wall, nobody actually knows how far down it goes but it didn't budge on the last hit.  More rebar this time so hopefully it will be a lot harder to break off.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/20/18 8:25 a.m.

Russ, buddy of mine made a mail box out of 3/8" boiler plate, one morning he found shards of baseball bat along the road.

Only once ......

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
10/20/18 10:48 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Well... damn, yeah that will work too lol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/15/18 4:13 p.m.

Not a ton to report but with the help of a friend the work area got reorganized a bit- the parts car moved further into the corner, big tools lined up against the wall, and the workbench moved.  There's much more room now and it's a lot easier to drive in and out of the space next to the lift:

I also thought I'd feature these things since they're awesome:  

These are "pavement sleds" and they're the most grassroots gravitysports thing in the universe.  I grew up in a somewhat hilly town in PA, so everyone had sleds and everyone had things with wheels.  At some point we decided to take a broken sled and a broken skateboard and make a street luge out of them... and it was awesome.  So we built a whole E36 M3load  of them and raced each other, because what else would you do?

Years later, as a surprise for my bachelor party, my friend and his dad "restored" these things to their original glory after they had spent years in their basement, and as you could probably guess several of us had visible road rash at the wedding.  Now, they hang on my wall, waiting... because I live at the top of a hill now, and some day this road will be closed devil

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/15/18 5:52 p.m.

I'm gonna need a full report on how each of those pavement sleds works as a creeper.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
12/15/18 9:03 p.m.

The sleds look like awesome fun!  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/16/18 11:04 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The stone bridge down by Kunsmans looks like it would hurt real bad to hit with street luge!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/16/18 11:22 a.m.
russ_mill said:

I know a guy, I'm sure we all do lol, that had a problem with kids mailboxing him (taking a baseball bat to his mailbox late at night). He eventually moved it back from the road so it was fully on his property, and then filled the base with concrete. I'm not sure if it was the new distance from the road, or the concrete, but the mailboxing stopped.

This just reminded me of that - you're definitely not going to have any more problems, unless a semi hits it!

I knew a farmer who regularly complained to the township about the contractor who plowed his rural road. After every complaint his mailbox post would get clipped off by the plow's wing. He then mounted the box on a new post made from an old hollow split rail fence log. In the hollow center, and going well below grade, was a 60 lb/ft section of steel railway rail. After the next complaint was lodged at the township hall the plow operator had to buy himself a new wing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/16/18 2:43 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

You seem to know the area... that wasn't you I saw driving the gold X1/9 on Old Bethlehem Rd. a couple days ago was it?

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/16/18 3:41 p.m.

Not street luging, but this is what goes on in my neighbourhood https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zi-f_J6hV-g

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/16/18 3:53 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Actually it isn't "gold", but I was on Old Beth Rd Thursday, and again this morning.....Looks seriously shabbier now, but nicer wheels than in photo.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/16/18 6:21 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I'm pretty sure that was you I saw!  Really brightened my day to spot your car out and about, some day I'll have to chase you down with the MR2.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/16/18 6:45 p.m.

I must say these 'sleds'  beckon the the time honored phrase 'hold my beer watch this'.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/18/18 7:51 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

At least one of them has a cup holder so you don't even need someone to hold it for you!

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/27/19 7:07 p.m.

I was up in the area picking up a little somethin-somethin and swung by the Maximum Effort HQ for a quick visit :)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/28/19 8:36 a.m.

I think old school white wash would help brighten the place immensely. 

I used lime, salt and water mixed in a 5 gallon bucket a decade ago. Applied eith a big paint roller. Still looks good, and no touch up whatsoever. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/28/19 8:51 a.m.

White walls by any method reduce lighting requirements tremendously. The older I get the more I need....

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RIxFlILJT2opLeF7m7cY2uI8y6pVEGO6Q6OocVLdkYwLBQcmD9fYvcphNUKeORY9