1 ... 3 4 5
Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
12/3/17 7:20 p.m.

Yep, trans mount has to come out to get to the upper bell housing bolts. be careful lowering the tail of the trans, as the ignition cap is right there and that big HEI cap likes to go crunch when you droop the trans too far on some cars.

If you have a few long extensions and a universal you can work back by the tail of the trans where there is more room after breaking it loose.

Trans removal should go something like this.

Inspection cover removal
torque converter bolts
kickdown cable removal. (there's a little hook on the end of it inside the trans) 10mm bolt if I recall correctly holding the cable to the trans,  pull the bolt, then pick up on the cable. It will slide out some, plus the slack inside the trans, and you unhook it from the little plunger. EDIT : Try not to play with the adjustment, remove the cable from the throttle linkage side first, then remove it from the bracket. Don't push the plunger down on the "self adjuster" and push the cable back that way.

Trans cooler line removal. Use line wrenches if you've never pulled it before, SOB's are in there TIGHT.

Torque arm mount

Trans mount and crossmember

lower trans tail,

upper bolts, then lower bolts on each side after supporting trans and putting something under the front of the engine to keep it from slamming forward on the motor mounts.

Give it a wiggle to get off the damn dowel pins, and remove trans after disconnecting the few wires that go up top if you haven't by now.

Book calls for 4 hours total to R&R a F-body trans. it took me 12 the first time. Second time 6, by the 4th time I was down to 2.5

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
12/3/17 7:29 p.m.

In all honesty, if you can pull the motor and trans together you'll save yourself a nightmare. When I say it's TIGHT in the trans tunnel to get to those upper bolts, I'm serious it's a b$%ch to get to them. Like a cussing throwing tools b$%ch to get to them. 

My brother in law was crying about pulling them in his 88 C1500, and I just reached up and removed them because of the experience I had removing them from my camaro. It's a matter of holding your arm just right and going through the right path to get to it. Once you've found it, it's not that hard, but till you do. It's bad.

zordak
zordak Reader
12/4/17 5:14 p.m.

I have most of the stuff removed or disconnected to pull the engine. Reading the manual it said something about cutting the floor to get at the bolts. I think I will pull the trans then the engine. Most of the reason is I have limited room to work and am probably going to put the cherry picker from the side. As far as hard to get at trans bolt try the bolts on a 6 cyl Rambler American. Had to borrow extensions from a couple of people to do it.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
12/4/17 5:27 p.m.

Then you know what you're in for. 

Just a thought, you might be able to get to the upper bolts with a box end wrench from the engine bay if you jack up the tail of the trans. Might have more space with TBI vs the TPI monstrosity I was dealing with.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
12/4/17 7:22 p.m.

Trans removal is definitely doable fairly quickly by someone experienced. I've helped out with quite a few 3rd Gen trans droppings over the years, but never have been the brains behind the operation. A buddy of mine in high school got it down to 45 minutes. The last one I did with help was about a year ago when we swapped a T56 into my IROC. That time it took about 1.5 hours, but we also cut all of the lines and cables since we weren't going to re-use them. Long extensions and several swivels and wobbles are key.

zordak
zordak Reader
12/7/17 5:47 p.m.

After changing many automatics by balancing the trans on a wobbly jack and muscling them in and out, I splurged on a trans jack. Nothing fancy just a cheap Harbor Freight low profile one. The temps up here dropped 30 deg. so I took a couple of days off from working on the car. Today I set up the torpedo heater to warm up the garage and started to get the trans out. I decided to just drop the trans down and leave it under the car. I am hoping for a warm winter but only time will tell.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
12/7/17 8:12 p.m.

La Nina, which is Spanish for "The Nina", says it's not looking good for much of the country on that front.

1 ... 3 4 5
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
jIs0sWjjB0dU2ekAZrnubNreKkwC5h7N