1 2 3 ... 8
jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/15/14 10:33 a.m.

Over the past few years I've posted about cars that I have built and some of the projects that I have undertaken. I am addicted to Specialty Vehicles, the sports racers from the late 50's through the 60's in particular. I'm retired. Playing in on old shop is what I have fun doing.

I'm always cruising the internet looking for old fiberglass bodies. Recently I came across a complete set of molds for one of my favorite looking cars of all time. I purchased them and they are being shipped to me now. I'm so excited about this car that all of my other car projects are on hold. The molds were taken from an original 1966 ABARTH SP 1000. I think that it is stunningly beautiful.

A few specs. 86.6 inch wheelbase, 65 inches wide, 52 inch rear track, 51.4 inch front track. It is a compact mid engine car. The original powered by a FIAT 1000cc engine weighed 1120lbs.

I will be building a dedicated frame that the body will fit to. There are many different power train/suspension options that could be used.

I will sell bodies beginning in Jan for $4990 and I will sell the frame and aluminum panels when I have them complete. My goal is to debut the car at the Carlisle Kit Car show in May. Unfortunately I will be relying on a couple of friends of mine to do most of the work. I have a friend that does fiberglass work for a living and another that owns a race car chassis shop. I will work with them but they will be doing the hard work. I have had 2 heart attacks this year and am facing surgery soon. I'm optimistic about the future and hope to be hands on soon.

The Symbol for the Abarth is the Scorpion. I'm calling the car the "Stinger" and have secured the web address for stingercars.com and .net.

I do not need to make money from this project. It is strictly for fun and because I have a passion for the cars.

[URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathside1000greatpic_zpsb6ca17ed.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathsp1000interior_zps09a7eb2e.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarath154from34rear_zps6294d269.jpg.html][/URL]

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/15/14 10:53 a.m.

Subscribed. Can't wait to see progress.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
11/15/14 10:57 a.m.

Those hips don't lie. It's glorious

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/14 11:06 a.m.

My new favorite thread!

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/14 12:20 p.m.

Are you taking deposits for bodies? Not saying I would or not, but am seriously considering getting one.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/15/14 12:34 p.m.

OoOOh My eyes! The holy light!! It Burns!!

Subscribed, and starting to pull pennies out of the couch!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
11/15/14 12:37 p.m.

1120#s

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/15/14 12:41 p.m.

And I heard tell in the other thread that this will be bike powered WITH reverse. That means that the end result will be similarly light BUT with 300% the original power!!

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
11/15/14 1:49 p.m.

Subscribed. Starting to plot for one. Needs a better sound track than a Japanese sport bike. Big triumph triple? Ducati?

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/15/14 2:19 p.m.

I'm glad that some of you are as excited as I am.

I like the idea of a bike engine. The Abarth had the engine mounted longitudinally. There is room for a bike engine mounted this way too. This means that the output shaft of the MC engine can be attached to a short dampened driveshaft to connect it to the mini diff. (No chain drive) There is a company that makes the mini diff for bike powered buggies. www.transworks.biz. The mini diff has built in reverse and inboard Wilwood brakes. It's not cheap but its very cool and I think would work well. I think that pretty much any bike engine could be used. I don't have experience with bike powered cars so it would be a learning curve for me.

I have a friend that has a 1964 Crusader. This is a mid engine VW powered car that used basically a formula V chassis converted to 2 occupants and draped with a Can Am styled fiberglass body. The crusader weighs 950lbs and was raced with a 100hp 1835cc VW engine. At that weight it's pretty quick and my friend says that it pulls 1.5 gs on slicks. He races it in vintage races. The front track for the Crusader and Stinger are exactly the same. The rear less than an 1 inch difference. The Crusader has an 88 inch wheelbase, 1.4 inches longer than the Stinger. I have the Crusader frame being duplicated as I was going to build a Crusader. It would be easy enough to shorten the wheelbase and fab some body supports. This would be a simple and inexpensive way to build the car. The Porsche 550 Spyder is a popular car. The Stinger would be essentially the same but with the Abarth body.

Of course there are many different options. I'm leaning towards doing 2 frames. The VW Crusader frame and one that utilizes independent double wishbone suspension with the bike power and mini diff. Others will want to build it their way and is the reason that I will sell the body separately.

I'm not going to take deposits on bodies. If your interested, email me that you want your name on a list and you will go on it in the order that it is received. I don't need the money to produce them and I don't want to get in a situation where anything can go bad. Your name is not a commitment. It will hold your place in line in case you want one when they are available. This will be my policy until at least I get the molds, verify that they are in production condition and start producing them.

bigbellybanks@gmail.com John

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/14 2:29 p.m.

Subscribed! I can't wait to see this build happen.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/15/14 3:20 p.m.

I really want one but I don't think that I will have money for this next spring. Want my name anyhow?

Also, if the molds are marginal you might consider making one complete body and then using that to make a set of bucks for plastic panels. This might shave even more weight and add a light durability in case of small bumps. Just a thought.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
11/15/14 10:02 p.m.

That thing is obscene and close to perfect.

What size wheels and tires will you be using?

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/15/14 11:45 p.m.

Those look like 14s or 15s in the picture above. You almost HAVE to run 15s just to find flipping tires.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/16/14 8:11 a.m.

They might even be 13's - remember - it's a tiny car. The tires look like vintage Dunlops, which are still available:

http://racedunlop.com/vintage.php

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/16/14 8:29 a.m.

Ian is correct. They are 13's.

In response to singleslammer: I would say that even if it's just an interest that you should put your name on the list. It's non binding. Any sales for me is completely secondary to my desire to build this car. I want one and purchased the molds just to build one for myself. But, just in my inner circle I have 3 friends that want a body. I think that it's sooo pretty. [URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathrear2_zps6c283ee4.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathfromhighspecialpic_zps077de280.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jmcbigbelly/media/fiatabarathsp1000front_zpsb8029997.jpg.html][/URL]

mblommel
11/16/14 12:29 p.m.
Ian F wrote: They might even be 13's - remember - it's a tiny car. The tires look like vintage Dunlops, which are still available: http://racedunlop.com/vintage.php

And here's the link the original style wheels: Repro Campagnolos. They are 4 x 98 so that presents a problem with using the miata uprights without re-drilling the hubs.

Also more pictures of the original for fun:

Also, I was wondering are the rocker panels/side pods also fiberglass or sheet aluminum over the frame members? I'm just wondering how tough it would be to replicate the rocker scoop it they are aluminum.

Lastly, any ideas regarding the headlights? Are they fixed covers on the original?

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
11/16/14 12:35 p.m.

I love Campys

I wish I was in a place to preorder a body

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
11/16/14 12:42 p.m.

Anyone choosing to use the VW option will find a huge selection of stock and aftermarket Porsche 914 wheels that look as good as or even better than the Campys. A few of them mimic the Campys as well, while others, like the "gas burners" and such, have a distinctly 60's Italian look to them.

Your project sounds WONDERFUL, were it not for the strict title laws here in MA I'd already be signed up.

Luck !

TC

mblommel
11/16/14 3:46 p.m.

Are the tail lights from a Fiat 850 Coupe?

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
11/16/14 4:19 p.m.
mblommel wrote: Are the tail light's from a Fiat 850 Coupe?

Should be series 1 coupe, sedan, gt40, and probably a dozen other things.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/16/14 6:53 p.m.

Cool looking. Doubt my chubby butt would fit...

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/16/14 7:17 p.m.

I've thought about my wide butt as well. Since there is no trans tunnel I'll just make a new drop in tub with a center seat and make it a 1 seater!

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/16/14 7:55 p.m.

Awesome! I will be shooting you an email. I might have to actually start a fund for this and stop talking about starting a fund.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/14 8:01 p.m.

As cool as the wife and I like the banks this much cooler.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
59j5OfNfgFspw8IUlJ2t6wevQuGKovPZk926FjJnrARCx1w6A7YedYABLg1wZQRm