1 2 3
Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/23/17 7:55 a.m.

I was browsing CL, like you do, and spotted a silver '00 Civic DX for a $1800, but the guy was open to trades, so we talked and now I own a 106 HP non-VTEC Civic. What's a boy to do?

Look at all the single-cam ferocity. For being less horsepower than the other Honda in my life ('84 Goldwing), it actually has a fair bit of grunt, revs nicely, and is a hoot to drive.

The body is great until you're 10 feet away and you start to notice the wrinkles, crinkles and bits of rust. Little old lady who owned it before the PO smooshed it into something substantial, so it needs a new hood, bumper cover, and fender - so if anyone is sitting on those bits for a silver EK, do let me know.

Plans are to go through it, replace a leaky valve cover gasket, replace the leaky exhaust manifold gasket (and honestly, I'll probably just stick a header on there, because why the hell not?), give it a good de-gunking under the hood and daily it. I'm sure I'll stick to that plan, especially with a support group like GRM...

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/23/17 8:14 a.m.

Anyone have a B-series transmission laying around they don't want? I'm uh...asking for a friend.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
4/23/17 8:18 a.m.

Hey, I've got one of those! Mines a red CX with an engine swap from an Integra LS. I'm in the process of rescuing it from mods/hackery committed by multiple previous owners. Looks like yours is pretty unmolested.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/23/17 8:32 a.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Looks like yours is pretty unmolested.

Yup, total lack of JDM VTAK YO!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
4/23/17 9:01 a.m.

I wish I didn't really want one of those

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/23/17 11:25 p.m.

You lucky bastard. I lust after these.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
4/24/17 12:47 a.m.

I'd love to have one of these for myself, but enough of my friends have had them that I've driven enough (time/quantity) of them to keep them off my bucket list.

I've been thinking about one of this gen for dedicated rally/rallycross though.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
4/24/17 3:49 a.m.

Funny, these have been on my radar lately. There are certainly a lot of good deals out there!

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
4/24/17 5:38 a.m.

I always loved these in high school. Just do not fit in them... lol.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
4/24/17 8:48 a.m.

I had four of these when I lived in the South.

When I moved up North I had to give them up. Rust is a bitch.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
4/24/17 10:10 a.m.

I think these are my next Honda after my EG returns to the earth.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/24/17 10:41 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: I always loved these in high school. Just do not fit in them... lol.

Are you Andre the Giant? I'm 6'2 and 3 bills and this things fits like a dream...

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/24/17 10:42 a.m.
ssswitch wrote: I think these are my next Honda after my EG returns to the earth.

I traded the car in your avatar for this EK, oddly enough.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/24/17 5:14 p.m.
Acme Lab Rat wrote: Anyone have a B-series transmission laying around they don't want? I'm uh...asking for a friend.

Too bad you're not closer. I have one with a busted differential gear sitting here.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/24/17 5:38 p.m.

In reply to DuctTape&Bondo:

I wonder what freight to Michigan would be...

teskadera
teskadera New Reader
4/24/17 8:11 p.m.

Awwwww yessssss, more EKs. I picked up one two years ago and it's a complete hoot. POs - ... six of them - replaced the motor with a CR-V 2l B20Z (or B20B?) and put a 4-1 header on it. It's all basic Civic until you pass 3500RPM, then it hits like a two-stroke on the pipe. Don't need much power to make a light car fun!

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
4/25/17 9:41 a.m.

I really want one of these. They are so much fun and it looks like you scored a pretty clean one.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/25/17 8:21 p.m.

Aside from maintenance (oil change, coolant flush, a new valve cover gasket and a thorough de-gunking), first up is a CAI I've got laying around, and I'm ordering a header because it's only about $35 more than a new exhaust gasket plus heat shield. Next are some 15x7 Rota Slipstreams and some 205 section rubber - anyone have experience running anything fatter, tire-wise?

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/29/17 7:38 p.m.

Facebook groups have their uses. GSR wheels in B+ nick for $150 with good-for-now tires.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
5/1/17 1:51 p.m.

Swapped gauge clusters for one that has a tachometer, you know, because race car.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
5/1/17 3:56 p.m.

Toss a B16 into that bitch ASAP

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
5/1/17 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Ricky Spanish:

B20's are cheaper and easier to find!

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/1/17 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Acme Lab Rat:

But I'm not sure the CRV B20 fits under the hood.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
5/1/17 6:49 p.m.
mck1117 wrote: In reply to Acme Lab Rat: But I'm not sure the CRV B20 fits under the hood.

It does with a GSR intake manifold.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
5/1/17 8:27 p.m.

Set the valves while you have the valve cover off. That's (indirectly) why they leak, the gasket isn't meant to last more than the valve service interval and nobody services the valves.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3bCJUyi2HikA2zdSFzLflqA5ind2DELIG15Hzqy65C3rmq2WozRepxbszbuUm4j9