1 2 3 4
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/23/16 10:49 a.m.

Looks fantastic.

The Copart car is a Gen2 Q45. As such, though it is called a Q45 it does not have a 4.5L but rather a smaller 4.1L. There are zero parts interchangability between these two vehicles except maybe the name plate.

The tires look great! I like where this is headed.

As for the interior smell...
You'll probably think I'm kidding but your Q45 has a build in air freshener.
Get on your hands and knees and look at the center, lower of the driver's seat. You will find this. Mine (25 years later) still had the factory cover on it when I got the car.
It literally smells of rich mahogany and leather bound books.
The closest Infiniti dealer is about an hour away but if I am ever in the area with the car, I'm going to stop in and see if they can order a replacement. That should be humorous.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/23/16 11:03 a.m.

I'm still quite jealous of the condition of John's Q45 interior.

This should be the basis for my entire budget. Unlike other people that do the challenge I don't think there needs to be any large complicated formula or tons of fabrication to get near the top. I think a lot of people get in over there heads with big ideas and I'm all about keeping it simple. Also I no longer want to recoup or trade parts just to show what can be done for $2016.

I have been tossing around a few ideas for a "design" for this years car style wise. That will probably be the only thing I don't show much of before the actual event. I'm sure it will be fun for me not sure everyone will appreciate the direction I take with it.......

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
3/23/16 11:28 a.m.

Andy, you show width but how much further inboard could those wheels go? i.e. would the 10.5 be flush with the fender if it could go inboard 2"... ?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/23/16 11:28 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:

What flares are those?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/23/16 11:43 a.m.

I want first dibs on anything you might get rid of, up to and including the whole car at the end.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/23/16 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

With the 10.5" I'd be concerned with the tire rubbing on the inside if I go too wide. I'm actually not sure if this picture is the 9" or 10.5" but the 10.5" was .5" closer to rubbing than the 9"

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Universal fender flares Last year when I ordered they had more options and they were cheaper.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I'll post pictures, I plan to just keep the windows, seat rails and factory dashboard.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/23/16 7:43 p.m.
I haven't seen a Q45 this nice since they were new, I think

Huh, i see nicer ones literally every time i search for Q45s. But this is still cool.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
3/24/16 4:59 p.m.

What are you suspension plans?

Scottah
Scottah Dork
3/24/16 5:02 p.m.
Scottah wrote: What are you suspension plans?

Never mind. Didn't read good.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/29/16 9:12 p.m.

Lost my other Q45 tonight...

Started tearing out the interior, probably wouldn't pass a drug test now. Besides the point not sure if I was even able to salvage anything usable the kid must have ruined everything. Forget to take a picture but the rear speaker was hung with zip ties.

Late night at the shop.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/29/16 10:23 p.m.

I have a request for knowledge...

I bought a replacement center arm rest in perfect condition (mine has slight cracks in the leather.) The armrest attaches to the driver's seat via one, single, large bolt. I think to get to this bolt, I have to remove the rear trim of the seat.

The question is, how do I remove the rear panel in a way that does not break anything and can assure that the panel can be reinstalled properly?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/30/16 1:29 p.m.

There are two clips at the bottom that need removed.

Then you should be pulling down on it to release the two clips at the top. Notice mine are broken, I encountered lots of plastic shrapnel while taking apart the Q45.

Also next time I'm by the car I'll take a picture of a few bolts that I know I won't have the tool for.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/30/16 8:27 p.m.

Excelent'e

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
4/1/16 3:18 p.m.

Ordered Tokico HP Shocks the blue ones. I know its the challenge when I ordered 4 shocks from 3 different companies to save $24.17.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/1/16 8:18 p.m.

Got to see this in person Tuesday night. It's gonna be a great build and those 335s are huge. I'd love to have the work area Andy has.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
4/5/16 5:24 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: He called me the night before I was to pick it up, he claimed the car was fast as a MF then proceeded to describe everything on the car using the term MF. Quite comical but not really helpful using the same description for everything.

Just curious, did he have gold teeth and a pinkie ring and live in East Nashville? Because it sounds exactly like the guy I bought a 5-speed 1st-gen Acura Legend sedan off of for $1500.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
5/26/16 7:12 p.m.

No, update on the Q45. I have the struts, coilover sleeves and springs ready to go on the car. Just need to make the time to put them on. I'm sure I'll wake up way too early one morning and put them on before work. Probably will do a complete strip of the car now just like last year.

In other news, my backup challenge car arrived today $863, one less than last years LS400. Paint shows its age, can tell the car was sitting in the sun too long. The seats are ripped from sun damage and there is some peeling clear coat. Tailights are all smashed, probably will need a new battery. The gauge cluster doesn't work, but I can send that out to be fixed. Only 111,xxx miles. All luxury features will be maintained, a lap harness, suspension, nitrous, and max performance summer tires will be the only modifications. This one has traction control and heated seats.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/14/16 7:34 p.m.

Picked these up for $90 tonight, I guess they will have to do the job for the Lexus. I have a set 245 RE71R to go on them. Should fit inside the fenders without much rolling. It looks like I'll be putting off the infiniti for this year. I'm just not finding time with work, with trucks breaking down and employees, to work on the car and it needs a LOT of it to be ready.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/16 6:56 a.m.

Backup Challenge car? Can you bring both?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/15/16 7:11 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Backup Challenge car? Can you bring both?

Logistically it just doesn't work for me to bring two. I haven't even posted the backup backup challenge car that I should really just sell.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/15/16 4:55 p.m.

Need to find some coilovers but I think they will be a very tight fit in the front with a 245 on these wheels. I have a fender roller and I'm not afraid to use it to excess. On another note the car has some light hail damage and a lot of scratches in the paint: sad face.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/17/16 5:51 p.m.

Finally a little update on the Q45, should be done this weekend. Then we will see how she sits.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/19/16 1:58 p.m.

If anyone wants some sweet 18x7.5 5x114.3 wheels these are in the for sale section.

The Q45 Lowered on Tokico struts and ebay'ish coilovers or just short springs... Aslo 17x8 mustang wheels with 245 RE71R tires. Rear sway bar was also installed at the same time.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/27/16 11:07 p.m.

Picked up some used Hoosiers for the Q45 tonight. They are "slightly" wider than last years tires for the Lexus. Size comparison 245 RS3 next to the Hoosiers.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
7/18/16 7:02 p.m.

Finally thought I would have the time to change the spark plugs and wires on the Lexus. Car wouldn't start wouldn't even turn over. Haven't figured out what is wrong. I can hear the fuel pump come on and the dash lights flicker but I get nothing when I turn the key. "sad face"

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AwbbgWmB1rnEvtURgNLZ6A47wQI6Njf8HGqZIRA2WlG3uuM8ax4VqdCovaMzr0oI