1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/26/17 11:05 a.m.

I'm confused, which car are you building for $2017? And will it get the El Camino sawzall treatment?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
6/26/17 11:34 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

Most likely the LS400 unless I can find a serious amount of time to work on the Infiniti. I don't normally have full days off between now and September and I'm getting married the first week of October so free time seems limited. But if I recuited a group for a weekend in September we could probably knock it out in two days. I'm sure I could even setup a tour of the Nelson compound all 15 minutes away the same weekend.

I actually had a dream that for some strange reason I brought the Infiniti to the challenge like it sits right now on the worst set of wheels and tires I own. I basically was upset at myself for trailering the car 14 hours for no apparent reason.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/26/17 8:53 p.m.

so In the dream you Didn't Win, Go Back to sleep for awhile!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/6/17 7:27 p.m.

Lexus 1 - Andy 0.

Slacking off at work. Now I just need to get it under budget.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/19/17 8:07 p.m.

Before I make a thread on the main part of the forum I decided to seek your advice. I'm in search for the best/worst idea that is driveable to the $2017 Challenge. The car can't be a project. Some days I think I have time, but I'm really just lying to myself.

I've already been shot down for flying to Seattle and driving from there to the challenge this year. Saving that idea for next year.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/17 8:12 p.m.

Aztec

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/19/17 8:45 p.m.

Worst car that can be driven?

Geo metro. With a missing spark plug.

Or any late model Mitsubishi. I think brand new they are valued at half the challenge budget.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/17 8:48 p.m.

Lincoln towncar on whitewalls

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/19/17 8:51 p.m.

See if you can find a Sterling (Rover) 825 sl. That would be my vote for a bad idea.

So bad you've probably never knew about them or forgotten them completely.
Link

This one in Winston Salem is everything I expected it to be!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/20/17 5:48 a.m.

If you want the sterling, ill go get it for you....

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/20/17 6:35 a.m.

Here's a much less-bad idea.

Turn key box S10 V6, manual

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/20/17 6:36 a.m.

Turn key Jaguar XJ8

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
7/20/17 7:12 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: I've already been shot down for flying to Seattle and driving from there to the challenge this year. Saving that idea for next year.

This gave me a thought- how do exchange rates factor into challenge pricing? I know costs to pick up the vehicle are exempt, so potentially one could win the "longest drive" award by purchasing a car in, for example, Panama, and driving from there

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/17 7:31 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
Andy Neuman wrote: I've already been shot down for flying to Seattle and driving from there to the challenge this year. Saving that idea for next year.
This gave me a thought- how do exchange rates factor into challenge pricing? I know costs to pick up the vehicle are exempt, so potentially one could win the "longest drive" award by purchasing a car in, for example, Panama, and driving from there

Exchange rate on date of purchase.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/20/17 7:35 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

You are supposed to factor in the exchange rate at the time of purchase.

After I was turned down for Seattle this year and told to wait till next year. I told my fiancé that maybe we will do Alaska or Panama. She really doesn't like the idea of driving to Panama even though I think it's a great idea. Should be able to get a great deal in Panama since so many cars go through the Canal.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/20/17 7:43 a.m.

Im not buying a sterling rover. I am going to attempt to start the Q45 again today, then maybe I can still do a less extreme build.

The Jaguar, S10, Mark VIII, crown Victoria, V70r, PT cruiser or a newer car with high miles currently interest me.

I tried to buy an Acura cl-s 6 speed off obscure cars on Facebook but the guy never messaged me back.

I'd prefer something that has 5x114.3 wheels because I have a small supply. I thought about the whole LT1 camaro/bird idea but I hate those cars.

How bad/good of an idea would be buying a 2wd Silverado lowering it and getting shorter tires?

Homework
Homework New Reader
7/20/17 9:09 a.m.
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/20/17 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Homework:

That has too much style for me.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/20/17 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Patrick:

If I have a spare weekend before the event I'll drive over to your house with whatever this new challenge car because it won't go fast without nitrous.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/20/17 10:15 a.m.

Or we could do a "simple" parking lot build that already has a predetermined direction like last years.

We can title the project "Challenge Car Building 101." An exercise of the simplicity of having fun.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/20/17 10:58 a.m.
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/20/17 5:40 p.m.

Should I make an offer or bid on one of these? I would really like something that hasn't been tried or done before at the event.

Mark VIII LSC

Cougar XR7

Acura CL-S 6 speed

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/20/17 5:53 p.m.

COUGAR,for all the right reasons.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/20/17 5:53 p.m.

that cougar would make an awesome weekend cruiser. Im not sure about any kind of sporting intentions but depending on options it may have a trac loc!

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/20/17 6:08 p.m.

like a mustang Chassie ? you can make it Handle

302, just add Nitrous

Looks real Good, Concours

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rHaMVmK8GZc2WbJLdrtF3zAiIBbZTC0Dfapi6uzlmpYUyL8ReEUQKcTK4QFMUh89