1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/29/18 2:59 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

I'm looking for a four foot metal shear if you want to put that on your list. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
11/29/18 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Will add the sanding discs because I think I accidentally bought the $40 spitfire. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
11/29/18 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

She doesn’t do craigslist and new ones are over budget. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/7/18 1:37 p.m.

couldn’t help myself, purchased the $40 spitfire. I have no idea what I’m going to do with it yet. 

I’m 2/5 with losing a trailer ramp when I drive. Is it my driving? My ability to tie down the ramps? Just an overall terrible design for distance hauls? This time I had to pull off 20 minutes from home on the a smaller shoulder, not fun. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/18 2:15 p.m.

I really hope you're trying to fit that spitfire in a flat rate box for the grm New year's game.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/8/18 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I’m already on thin ice with the ladies at the post office. 

Also I have the worlds grumpiest UPS store near me. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/10/18 9:42 a.m.

Going to need to learn about replacing broken exhaust studs crying

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/10/18 10:40 a.m.

Oh no, how much is left to extract them by?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/10/18 12:39 p.m.

2 examples, small update just unbolted the transmission. 

Currently debating if I want to spend the $125 on a manual steering rack or not. 

Stampie
12/10/18 12:45 p.m.

I hear you have a cheap RX7 shell for sale?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/10/18 12:50 p.m.

I'd go with terrible design.  Obvious cyclical failure of a single sheer joint loading a threaded area (read STRESS RISER).  

Redesign is gonna be the easy button.  Either that or a vast materials improvement on that (bolt?)  

Might also be good to add a secondary securement (safety chain or the like)

Thanks for taking the Spit, I can actually move around in my shop now!   It is a good candidate for a heavier build.  The body on frame nature of it should make it somewhat easier to approach and there isnt much weight to it.  

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/13/18 11:21 a.m.

Also keeping a lookout on cheap sprint car parts for the spitfire. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/13/18 1:29 p.m.

In my defense, I have had bigger restaurant tabs than you dropped buying my junk.  laugh

Stampie
12/13/18 2:31 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

In my defense, I have had bigger restaurant tabs than you dropped buying my junk.  laugh

That just sounds wrong. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/13/18 2:44 p.m.
Stampie said:
Apexcarver said:

That just sounds wrong. 

I assure you, he was a complete gentleman

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/18 4:22 p.m.

Those manifold bolts always break.  I have used the “weld a nut to what’s left” method and the left hand drill bit method with great success on these.  It’s not that they shear off because they are stuck, they break because they are undersized and the manifold expanding and contracting pops them sideways

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/14/18 10:27 a.m.

Swapping oil pans today. Realized I’m going to have to learn a lot, quickly. 

Patrick
12/14/18 12:14 p.m.

Don’t forget pickup tube o-ring

Stampie
12/14/18 12:42 p.m.

I feel like I'm watching you grow right in front of my eyes. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/14/18 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

O ring installed. I really wish I had someone to walk me through things. If I go over budget because I didn’t want to tackle something myself I’m still bringing it. Just to let you know the cylinder walls look fresh.

I’m going to pick up a manual rack for the RX7 so I won’t have AC or power steering. Any cheap alternator relocation brackets?

Might need to make a trip out to see you in January or February.  

Stampie:

I know I used to weigh 185, I’m not trying to grow beyond 215. 

Made a to do list on what to learn how to do. 

On another note it sounds like the AC condenser on my 2015 Mustang is going out for the 3rd time in 50k miles. Just going to get a used Prius. 

Patrick
12/14/18 4:43 p.m.

You have my number.  Feel free to text me pictures and questions as you go

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/31/18 9:19 a.m.

Spent the last couple days exploring California in my Miata rental car. Makes me reconsider wanting a new Miata unless it’s strictly a fun car. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
1/14/19 2:12 p.m.

Any recommendations for an alternator mounting bracket? Since I’ll just be running the water pump and alternator.

Removed two of the exhaust studs easily. Two to go, managed to break the engine coolant sensor. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
1/30/19 9:44 a.m.

If anyone wants to trade me something good for this 87 RX7 GXL Diff I am open to offers. 

That means I have the rear subframe off in anticipation of putting the turbo 2 diff in its place. At least I made some progress this week. 

The F body oil pan ended up being cracked so I’m waiting for a replacement currently on the engine. 

Every night I can’t sleep debating if I want to stay under budget or do things right/take shortcuts(buy parts instead of create them or using inferior items. Like rocking the factory RX7 radiator instead of buying a decent one. 

Patrick
1/30/19 9:48 a.m.

Where’s the crack in the pan?  I got a free broken camaro pan and welded it, maybe someone nearby with a tig who is used to welding oil pans can fix yours?

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ri4VJ7QGibAlnwBXvxpRn1xAxU7K6H8jfgTb8aXEHK2NWKJYdiIkc7sqAeSDXB1b