dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
9/30/17 11:49 a.m.
Welcome Home

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
9/30/17 3:03 p.m.

Can't seem to figure out how to post pics on the new updated form.  Car was purchased from the same seller I got the White car from.  My little brother bought it, and it broke ringlands within 2 weeks from over boosting I believe.  I stripped my winter beater that was rusted beyond repair, so I pulled anything I can scavenge to use on the red car.  I set the new engine in it last night. So a couple more evenings and it will be ready for the road.  

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
10/2/17 4:09 p.m.

Here's the photo linked above: 

Welcome Home by dansxr2, on Flickr

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
10/2/17 4:58 p.m.

Sweet!  Hasn't been much talk of the ol' F2T around hear lately, I guess some of those guys aren't on here anymore.  Either that or I've just missed it.  Anyway, that's a great looking car!  I'll be following along!

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
10/2/17 9:31 p.m.

There is a few of us still lurking lol... I also have a really nice White/Red Velour '89 GT also I picked up, which recently blew a head gasket or warped the head.  So after I get this one going I'm gonna get the white car fixed.  When I figure out how to to post pics from my Flickr, I'll update.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
10/13/17 8:37 p.m.
IMG_20171012_195802757

So the old silver car that introduced me to the the MX-6/Probe model, left last night.  It was purchased for $300 6-years back as parts for the F2T Powered MX-3 Challenge car.  This cars engine now resides in the red car.  I believe I have found what did it in...

IMG_20171006_180102495

That is the Knock Sensor plug that has a pin pushed out of the holder.  He said he fixed a leaking Throttle Body Boot, but couldn't get it to boost over 12psi and it was spark knocking like a Mofo, resulting in what I believe is one or cylinder with broken ring lands.  Next I addressed the brakes, as my little brother said he was traveling around 70 mph on the interstate, when the cars ABS light came on and the system locked up.  Initially thought it had a caliper stick, but it is definitely ABS related.  I swapped the ABS module with one off the silver car, which was known to be in good working order.  The calipers on the rear are both being changed Sunday.  Hopefully it should be in good mechanical condition afterward. 

IMG_20171005_172553258
IMG_20170929_135511342_HDR

Before scrubbing with Purple Power.

IMG_20170929_143944664

End Result.

efahl
efahl New Reader
10/13/17 8:40 p.m.

Nothing more exciting than a throbbing red Probe...

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
12/12/17 9:37 p.m.

Well working on limited amounts of time in the evenings the engine is swapped in and drive able.  I went ahead and splurged on: New Waterpump, Timing Belt Kit, Plugs & Wires, Correct Probe GT Calipers & Rotors (had Mazda 6 Calipers &Rotors up front), Axles & Brake Master Cylinder.  Should be in very good mechanical condition as it will be my DD/Winter car.  

IMG_20170927_193816779_HDR

I did score a new old stock brake master cylinder from Rock Auto!

IMG_20171024_161601132_HDR
IMG_20171013_152548413

IMG_20171025_205431717

New Brakes that fit! I believe I got the wrong parts from R/A but can use them on the white car , as it sports the larger of the Mazda 6 setup, which requires a minimum of a 16" wheel.

2017-12-12_10-28-07

Our very #GRM garage :-)

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/12/17 11:08 p.m.

I still have my f2t car and spares, i just haven't fixed it. Sad thing is, it wasn't really broken (just HG seeping externally) until i let some students get their hands on it. After they screwed it up i just havent put the time in to fix it. I'll never let it go, though. Not unless someone who knows what it is (mine's a 626gt 5spd hatch) offers me decent money and im convinced they'll like it even more than me. 

Anyway, keep up the good work!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
12/12/17 11:40 p.m.
Vigo said:

I still have my f2t car and spares, i just haven't fixed it. Sad thing is, it wasn't really broken (just HG seeping externally) until i let some students get their hands on it. After they screwed it up i just havent put the time in to fix it. I'll never let it go, though. Not unless someone who knows what it is (mine's a 626gt 5spd hatch) offers me decent money and im convinced they'll like it even more than me. 

Anyway, keep up the good work!

I didn't know, or had forgotten you had that. I wonder how many turbo hatches are left. Like an idiot, I am DD-ing one, but I need to stop it because I'd be surprised if there's any more than 200 of them.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
2/12/18 9:10 a.m.
Fully apart and ready to pull the heatercore.

The Red car is ready in pretty good shape.  The paint on the front is rather chipped up, but I'm always on the lookout for parts to swap it or respray the entire car.  Oddly enough the gas tank on the old silver car that donated it's life to resurrect this one, as well as the white cars fuel tanks all began leaking within 3 days of each other.  

With General Altimax Arctic's it's a great winter car! 

However, after a month of trouble free driving, the heatercore began dripping down the firewall of the engine compartment.  I sourced a NOS Ford part online and ripped the dash to repair. 

FB_IMG_1518448893750

The heat had never worked very well, so obviously I assumed it was clogged... I was correct. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/14/18 1:07 p.m.

This thread makes me miss my $2004 Challenge Probe.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
4/3/18 6:05 a.m.

Pics of it???

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tfOQceYwYdjBWh6l2Uzr2i4rDuwdufCKRgHaaMVlH5vAuBby7kuXPlcibsfssMoq