Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/17/17 1:21 p.m.

OK, so this isn’t really the start of any work, more a stake in the ground to show the starting point.  I was inspired not only by the ‘Holy order of the GROSH’, but by the ‘Show us your shop and win prizes thread’.  I posted a pic of my disaster area in there as the official loosing shot.  However, here it is again.

While working on other yard stuff this weekend I realized what a disaster area my garage had become.  So I snapped a couple of shots then saw that thread on Monday. 

It’s the classic suburban 20x20 (actually 21’6” by 20’9”) square(ish) attached garage.  Over the last 18 years, I’ve made it workable with a series of benches, shelves and toolboxes.  However, it’s always one-step away, and frequently a step beyond an unworkable mess.  Even though it’s theoretically a two-car garage, it’s only ever a single car garage sharing space with yard and lawn equipment, bicycles, strollers, skateboards, Jacks, compressor, Jack stands, spare wood (surprisingly it does get used) and the other flotsam and jetsam of suburban life with kids, pets and grandchildren.

I’ve been telling myself for years that I’m going to build a garden shed, but my plans normally overwhelm my skill, available time and resources so it never happens.  I’m starting this thread in order to, hopefully, keep myself motivated in getting it sorted out, better looking, better organized and more conducive to work without tripping over myself.

Right now, there are no cars in there, which immediately caused the ‘stuff’ to start encroaching into the car spot.  As you can see below, I can’t get a car in right now.  During the summer, the Volvo is inside, which swaps places with the Boxster for the winter.  The thing is a woman backed into me a month ago so the Boxster was in the body shop for a couple of weeks.  In that time we used the sail Sunfish which normally resides behind the garage (more on that area later) and the we went camping and the trailer is parked in front as well blocking access.  Both those will be taken care of this weekend as the sailboat will go back behind the garage and the camper will go to its winter storage under (yes) my father in laws house.  That will be the point at which I can at least start the cleanup.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/17/17 1:26 p.m.

No real work is going to take place on the garage immediately.  To start with I need to get it cleaned up enough to get the Volvo inside.  It needs new brakes, some suspensions components and shocks and struts ASAP as it’s nearly time for the Boxster to hibernate for the winter.  Once the Volvo is out (before which it needs to get in!) I will get the Boxster in which is at least getting some new hoses, overflow bottle (not easy to access) and the big one a new soft top installed.  Time and money permitting I’d like to re-upholster the seats etc. etc.  So I do have a lot of real work to ‘use’ the garage for.

Here’s a rough sketch of the how the garage is laid out now.  Note I have a large chimney flu along one side; the door is in the rear left corner.  You can see most of the critical dimensions, but I forgot to measure the width of the window and its location.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/17/17 1:27 p.m.

My rough order of work is:

• Fix the garage door, it sticks at several points going up, I hope it just needs some more tension on the springs (both replaced within the last 24 months)
  • More shelves and cabinets with the intention of having nothing on the floor or visible when not in use.
  • Fix the space heater.  It’s a massive unit that can take it from freezing to shorts in no time flat, but I think the valve is fubbard.  The thermostat works, but it doesn’t kick on.
  • More electrical outlets.  I have five double outlets, the new ones I added are 30 amp.  I think the old ones by the door are 15amp.
  • Organize all the yard tools (just inside to the left of the garage door when viewed from outside).  More hangers and dividers
  • Find a better place for the Re-cycle wheelie bin, possibly move it to by the Flu.  It must be able to have stuff tossed in it while standing at the door to the house.  No amount of training will make the rest of the house do anything else, I’ve tried and failed.
  • Possibly move the parts washer and/or add a utility sink to the area where the Recycle Wheelie bin is currently.  Note. That is also by the fuse panel, which may not be such a good idea.
  • Do something with the floor.
  • Fix the ceiling

A couple of notes on what is there right now. 

• See the huge shelf and large workbench along the back wall.  I may make both of those shallower front to back.  The Shelf is 30” deep and over 6’ off the ground.  That means I use the front 18-24” and crap just accumulates on the rest.  Note the beer fridge is on the far left end so I can gram a beer while in the house, that NEEDS to stay there.
  • The workbench is 36” deep, again no matter what it’s too deep and accumulates crap along the back.  Suggestions on the depth of the bench?
  • Inside the door to the house is a small mudroom / laundry.  There’s a side-by-side washer and dryer there, but no room for a utility sink, hence the desire for one just inside the garage.
  • I have a dedicated 220V panel in the garage so I can add whatever I like with pretty much no issue.
  • I may excommunicate the lawn more, snow blower and pressure washer to the outside behind the garage, although the snow blower will need to come in during the winter so I don’t have to dig my way too it.  More on that this weekend.
  • There is no water or drain in the garage, although the utility room behind has both and a basement.  It’s possible to run them through, but it would be a massive job.  I have a possible work around in my mind.

So, that’s it, it’s a disaster.  Work, well at least tidy up so I can get a car in and work on it, will commence this weekend.

Thoughts? Encouragement? Derision?  All welcome.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/17/17 1:29 p.m.

The pictures in your first post aren't working.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/17/17 1:34 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

The pictures in your first post aren't working.

Balls, I hate Google Photo's, but at least they're free.  Anyone see/not see them.  They look fine to me.

Edit. Can anyone see any photo's?  I've checked googleffingmooglyeffingphoto's and it shows this album is being shared.

Direct links:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Jg3Mc6eBPmroSl4W52dJX6XRFQHTM2JwlsrcjW5SHyWXtGgSThBkXSzYVCe1f43bxKnV5KXBqI-51muKrv2zMJuITMnISybcwwuko7yNSWcFDygr57M224aQ8oa-rD9Q47HJuavunnzotPfmuKSQTShMRpDA61NlJcneBDOWPDwCyDdnfdbuCLGc-UEhngdEa_E4d6ZXE9QPuWOBJGZPtSVyTlI5cl3bhnDVes2AN4qXDI3iQA6xZBL74Qjw1f9dXtF20HGDyKAULkLk60T6RYMpaOhH8LfrUjcUXYrQ7N1Z2qT9A0ffZi5oiAlOY3HR5Zb31c3cphxKkqHInaJKVbqQcwb_vDPTbDBPidQf1W9VHAf-Y6JGpSQFGhmzMqNsoyviSPMNLDOZcpqpViHm_P9uE0b6VrQv1wHBbmdw1ZOUX9Rqo2FFghen-4_zHpHOln69EeDO_oUoQpKARGc_dKXgrwTLRFi33yDg8rVhj9725rE97vXrop052BqDFy2oSjXwMIA3jyA1L509j3iyA1D3zDCwa0FYQBzktHBhxUYj_10qrUmXsoaG3mDwH6j3AzahIMmX1T29Of4UB9vUxt-TaY0gcMCyxGzbcdRjeI9vfPmbvM1YlB0qlAfIRhLxlqM4HI0lw4qCHrXrN2HduQywhgsiRB06xRfI=w1395-h1046-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cCPvwv6MNvkfAoGx2eFSyrGyWgapRMx8-0MvmKL-oJwBetFdGDVJ9wrV6zqGhNt3XCEZlPZs4Ah-BJbVzTlpUVC_oUz5mmI_sGXED7mQsaot9RHTJd-wmk3kfLiwJAni4PzBzBkFYUMnrGWTxY37kCxUYfQoH9QHZa_wRUauo3IeMdd1r67kiN-JHxUcpeu0306xIJFm7MtEHJarKx1xi_uLkgst_JLNvF2IFsdpYJua-07_5OH822ffvTRBFpWN5Atspj1GnEEJqq9uw9xib7H6qJDqorbmdWvt2TITiWw6pbMalc28OtINZ4x9gbbTNaL8yDaXw693mNdyJouO7h6cHaQy3Mlpg8ZWqkUpt494tyzSUAKHJp_3QLs0JRDOKRh8m95v_PyEFbN2id-6bZeFS5tnk7baUznWnTxVwlCfkr6yZHEe3y0KENes_6S2gMR9-oOy2shPCitix4lcEp5mRHVUcDlvOWTuIc4aNYM6GPJKdl3dPTFvu1mIqdVa82xRMgzZ3OWN0TJVEJwZoZE2r3a6g_I91tDJbU1uAJrXeScz9avBTmIsUc8sVTAzTvF5_ljsl_LNeDFLv92xJ3a90u6ghXBdSjqmqx5-eGWOsn6P62zcXr7Hk1xfSFmI55Zd1i9-VFZeowG63XdSnkPCIoAdvg2JQ3ps=w1920-h522-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6EdCrp07M2u5TXM2XNUlvRza67HkNEgeCG3gfb4cUufwgsTKu63VvzA-JkmN0kIm_DPnzbLsE1-nz0Qj3sPgRGIz8JPuh2xXtlmBdDQSy0WqHhZJE5LPDHQPdL2lI8M5HEAAseMJS3dqLqWN-rvBsKtDdwdip0vkBEvENMIhv8XojL3QWTw7-z07BecyUdoV37aNkzDG1DJZy0cEm9kKajhY7TrMTKoFCfu5JBU8AB9VGlqQyp4IBXW93kLpQACk9v5OSvVzASYDenTrG_iQbHvTFQuFn72gdbbBkDbeE0o9inenLrjz2THQ3JOMDxfKOAQQtgYsqQvaI4YpWme3x1wTF7Luw2fXI9Lg_RDx0aNYGLtaoX6ICDZng5m7j-jcsYgEjcAN3nWnrPCTEqzKBTlaOh0NW73EacnFqYJA9CM008pSdJA2YsR2izb3V7d_kpULyl2nSTMmIUJgYQA3jwCpZsVKgxUTf1GP7lufo9birNm9vxnDsRQgeUtx8q_rSHjduoz6JynSt35h9hXPLpg_tq2xKH_6s7PlehSEADcHkO8V5-YzmK-x0XgZuknUyjQGT3OsSAaPa9tTfmS5XKOlw6qmgVyUmTTzG9gjog1Q4NmvrY9ln9i72fC0euydEXeDLnR796X8odhJMM3Q6YJLSbLsSbj7Imee=w1115-h943-no

Trying to post again:

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/17/17 1:36 p.m.

I've recently instituted the "if it's on the floor it has wheels" rule for everything. still a few things that need to be updated, but so far it's amazing being able to easily move things and rearrange as necessary. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/17/17 1:40 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

I've recently instituted the "if it's on the floor it has wheels" rule for everything. still a few things that need to be updated, but so far it's amazing being able to easily move things and rearrange as necessary. 

While I'm never going to build real cabinets with Dado, tongue and groove or other fancy joints like you, I am intersted in mobile units.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/17 1:59 p.m.

Can I rent your pop-up camper the 2nd weekend of September 2018?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/17/17 2:06 p.m.

And your Sunfish has a better paint scheme than mine. Mine's just white. sad

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/18/17 8:41 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Can I rent your pop-up camper the 2nd weekend of September 2018?

Will have to talk to SWMBO, but we often use it in September, it's a great time to head North after the crowds have left as the schools are back in.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/18/17 8:42 a.m.

Mucking around last night I made this:

But it's been vetoed by the Spousal Unit as tempting fate by including the word 'DISASTER' blush

prettybird
prettybird New Reader
10/18/17 9:15 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Same. Everything on the floor has wheels, everything on the walls and ceiling has hooks, and everything with a hose has reels. Bliss.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yiXzV6ABZGX5nDfdQ86VuqO999LIfVNLitQHLAlOmmtv1zW3B6oDa61xtNoclhns