1 2 3
Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
12/5/16 9:09 a.m.

So how well does a RWD lifted Miata do off road?

Because I'm thinking a RWD lifted Miata would be an amazing winter beater.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/5/16 9:34 a.m.

I just wanna know how poorly it drives with that wheel weight. Not asking in a negative way, moreso just curious if i could live with it.

That tire size actually looks slightly too big to not have constant rubbing..

jstancel
jstancel Reader
12/5/16 10:40 a.m.

Topic of rollers:

235/75r15 run of the mill all terrains. They were free so that made the decision simple

15x8 zero offset DOT Bassett steel wheels

Cutting and rubbing:

The rear needed the most amount of cutting. Probably around 2in front and back and flared out at the top. Still rubs fully stuffed but not bad. Battery box had to be persuaded by a hammer. Front has about 3in cut out of the lower portion of the bumper. The bottom of the fenders were cut back to be even with the chassis. A good deal of hammering was required in the footrest area to allow for full steering. The top of the fenders will eventually be addressed because it rubs when the suspension fully compresses.

Moral of the story, don't go with tires this big if you ever plan to put it back to stock. The body on my car was already beat up so no sleep was lost.

It did amazingly well off road. My only gripe is the diff. I assume it is a torsen because it acts like an LSD most of the time but I have not checked to confirm. I will probably swap it for a shimmed RX7 unit.

As for drive-ability it feels better than my current daily (clapped out F250). The tires aren't balanced which causes most of the woes. When I wear these out and get new tires and have them balanced it will be much better. I am also driving it with the sways discounted so it has that spongy feel. Once it stops raining I am going to hook them back up and see how I like it.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/5/16 3:49 p.m.
jstancel wrote: Drove to my friend's house so both of my Miata projects can meet Both projects

jstancel - you may be the king of "they're so wrong they're right" projects.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
12/5/16 4:34 p.m.

Finally a way to keep excess road salt off my Miata's quarter panels.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
12/12/16 7:35 a.m.

Took it for a trail ride at Tray Mountain over the weekend. Here's a video of my celebratory mud bog when I made it to the top.

Mudding Miata

jstancel
jstancel Reader
1/13/17 10:15 a.m.

More Pics

Off Road Atlanta

Vomit

Project in the Projects

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/17 12:34 p.m.

I just realized you're the same guy with the cool minibikes. The abandoned Atlanta pics made the connection. Sweet toys!!

jstancel
jstancel Reader
1/13/17 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Lof8:

Yep! Small cars, small bikes, and photographing sketchy locations are my hobbies.

Here's a short video of us off road with the Miata and a recently built CT70.

https://youtu.be/wTO6OjuS-c8

jstancel
jstancel Reader
1/23/17 8:23 a.m.

It was a busy weekend. Swapped in the RX7 Limited slip and had a rough ending to an off road adventure.

There is so many varied experiences with RX7 LSD installs. Here are the details of what worked for me:

1999 open diff

Used only the LSD unit from the RX7 (did not swap c clips from the RX7 diff)

New not reman cv axles (one piece), pretty sure the brand was duralast. I will double check.

Went together without issue.

Put in new seals

Weir solid pinion spacer

RX7 limited slip for a Miata

It is suppose to be a drought in GA but you can't tell by my pictures. I got mixed up and went into the mud hole that I previous went around.

IMG_20170122_200947_241

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/17 8:40 a.m.

uh oh! Thats pretty deep!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/23/17 9:28 a.m.

Ew! Did you get it out? I've been in that deep before but it was in a Samurai so a little power washing action and I was back in business.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/17 10:14 a.m.

Oops. Mind if I share those?

Next planned upgrade: move the ECU from behind the passenger's seat to a higher point under the dash...

(edit - brain fart, this is an NB, not an NA8. Might be okay)

jstancel
jstancel Reader
1/23/17 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Sure! Want me to email you the pics?

Also, a short video after we pulled the car out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV1XXf_l_A8

Keith Tanner
1/23/17 10:28 a.m.

Please!

Keith Tanner
1/23/17 10:30 a.m.

A coworker is in Atlanta right now, we were chatting about this car and this was his response:

" I saw this thing on the highway here a few days ago. If you want to see something hilarious, have one of these pass you at 80 when you’re not expecting it. "

jstancel
jstancel Reader
1/24/17 1:47 p.m.

Changed the oil and the diff fluid yesterday. Good news, no water/mud in either one.

Pressure washed the seats and once they are dry I will be back in business.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
3/14/17 10:44 a.m.

Over the weekend we built a rear tire carrier for 2 spares and installed a winch.

2017-03-14_11-43-25

Miata with a Winch

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/14/17 10:55 a.m.

I kinda like this thing Next a 4x4 swap??

Keith Tanner
3/14/17 11:02 a.m.

It's so wrong

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/14/17 11:54 a.m.
java230 wrote: I kinda like this thing Next a 4x4 swap??

After watching the dirt track video I'm thinking a roll bar might be a good idea for the next project.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
3/14/17 12:19 p.m.
APEowner wrote:
java230 wrote: I kinda like this thing Next a 4x4 swap??
After watching the dirt track video I'm thinking a roll bar might be a good idea for the next project.

Not interested in going 4x4 but a rollcage is in the plan

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
3/14/17 10:37 p.m.

Safety first!

jstancel
jstancel Reader
3/15/17 9:18 a.m.

In reply to 2002maniac:

HA! nothing safe about that style bar.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
3/30/17 8:19 a.m.

The latest video in the trilogy of how to ruin a Miata.

off-roading and breaking stuff

Check out the product placement of the GRM t-shirt!

Breaking stuff

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CUmJHMmFbWpdEM0568Eyu6xMeRPQ1w2xWIShjztGIwmR3N4LQxvhGpcGyEyBlmY6