1 2 3 4 5
Joseph
Joseph New Reader
5/22/17 9:38 a.m.

Haven't posted any updates in a while. I'm currently coating the fuel tank with POR-15 before I reinstall it. The fuel sender (and a set of new rear tail lights) came in from Italy. I also picked up a set of vintage Cosmic wheels locally (3rd set of wheels for this non-running car).

Hopefully, fuel tank and pump go in this weekend and we get it started.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
5/22/17 11:15 a.m.

Woah. Those wheels make me all tingly. What are the dimensions? Let me know if you'd like to sell - they'd look super on my X1/9.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
5/22/17 11:28 a.m.

Really cool stuff here. Makes me feel like a weenie for worrying about sourcing parts for my not that obscure 60's American car.

I also love all 3 sets of wheels you have, I'm excited to see the thing lowered!

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
5/23/17 12:18 p.m.

The Cosmics are 13x6 with 8" wide cantilever slicks mounted on them.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/23/17 2:49 p.m.
Joseph wrote: The Cosmics are 13x6 with 8" wide cantilever slicks mounted on them.

Can someone learn me up on "cantilevered slicks" I believe it has something to do with the bulging sidewall that I see in the picture, but I cant for the life of me figure out how this is a good thing?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
5/23/17 5:34 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:
I ran them on an autocross Formula Vee back in the day. They were 10" wide tread face, but needed a 6" wide wheel. Mine were Formula Ford 2000 take-offs. It was just a method of getting wide rubber on a class of cars that had a wheel width rule. The local tire shop absolutely hated them. Sidewalls were extremely rigid.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/23/17 6:49 p.m.

Thanx Warren, makes sense!

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
5/27/17 2:34 p.m.

Pic of sending unit straight from Udine, Italy.....wrapped in the sports page

Gas tank cleaned out and sporting a couple couple coats of POR-15

Changed all the vent lines:

Installed the gas tank and new BCD fuel pump today. Waiting for the filler neck to get here before gassing her up and seeing what happens.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
7/7/17 2:15 p.m.

Finally got around to installing the filler neck and plumbing the fuel lines. Replaced the fuel pump relay just for fun and I'm now getting clean fuel to the carb courtesy of the new BCD pump. Only issue is now the car won't turn over, solenoid just clicks and the cables start getting really hot. Before I redid the fuel tank the car turned over like a champ. I opted to swap in a new starter but it turns out the same thing happens with the new starter. Seems like the flywheel/engine is 'stuck' and offering way too much resistance for the starter. Will have to do a little more investigating.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
7/7/17 2:26 p.m.

Scored this sweet early style mesh grill locally. Guy didn't know what it was and acquired it as part of a lot of Ford parts he bought. The plating is shot so I'm going to paint it black to look like a proper European 128 Rally grill.

coexist
coexist New Reader
7/7/17 7:10 p.m.

Will gladly trade a black honeycomb for your chrome one.

The clutch on my car tends to stick after sitting, so make sure you are in neutral.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
7/7/17 9:33 p.m.

Check your grounds.

LMGill
LMGill New Reader
7/7/17 10:49 p.m.
Joseph wrote: Finally got around to installing the filler neck and plumbing the fuel lines. Replaced the fuel pump relay just for fun and I'm now getting clean fuel to the carb courtesy of the new BCD pump. Only issue is now the car won't turn over, solenoid just clicks and the cables start getting really hot. Before I redid the fuel tank the car turned over like a champ. I opted to swap in a new starter but it turns out the same thing happens with the new starter. Seems like the flywheel/engine is 'stuck' and offering way too much resistance for the starter. Will have to do a little more investigating.

When we first built our 128 race car, the day finally came to turn it over for the first time. We hooked up the battery and pushed the starter button ....and....nothing! My dad's first thought was, Could the race engine have too much compression for the starter? No, not likely. Then, could the starter not be getting enough amperage? check the battery, didn't seem so. After some additional pondering, the starter was removed and taken apart........ It seems, when my dad asked his shop "deburr" guy to clean up the starter with the vapor blaster (glass bead in water) he neglected to mask off the openings! As a result, the entire motor was packed with glass bead. Once disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled, it started the engine quick as you please.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
7/10/17 6:15 a.m.

That is kind of strange, if it was working, why would it now stop working.... I had starter issues with a engine that had some binding issues, instead of fixing the engine, I kept attempting to fix the starter. I eventually figured out what was wrong. Check to ensure the engine does still turn over OK, wrench on the crank. If the cables are getting hot, then the starter is drawing more power than it should. Maybe take the starter off and see if it works alone off the car.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/10/17 6:30 a.m.

Maybe your clutch disc is rusted to the flywheel? I had that happen on an old Spitfire anytime I let it sit too long. Rocking or dragging it back and forth with it in gear and the clutch depressed freed it.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
7/10/17 9:26 a.m.

The crank does not turn with a wrench on it. Just to make sure the valves weren't interfering I removed the cam box so all the valves are closed (and out of the way and it still doesn't spin with a wrench on the crank pulley. I was wondering if it was on the clutch side but the car roles freely in neutral, and doesn't when in gear so the clutch seems to be engaging properly.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
7/10/17 10:08 a.m.

Remove the starter, and check again if the crank will turn, the starter could be stuck and engaged onto the flywheel. Still seems a little odd. Since it turned over fine not to long ago. With it in gear, if you put a wrench on the crank, you should be able to move the car, so even if it were stuck in gear, it would just be harder to rotate the crank. With the starter removed see if it works.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
7/11/17 7:04 p.m.

Removed the starter and crank still wouldn't budge. As I mentioned I already had the cam box off....so then one thing led to another and I'm now at this....

Figure while I'm in here I might as well check everything out.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
7/31/17 9:58 a.m.

Engine is out

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
7/31/17 9:59 a.m.

Check out the nastiness that is/was the water pump!

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
7/31/17 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Joseph: Ohhhhhh gaaaaaaaack!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
7/31/17 11:52 p.m.

Oh boy.... you've entered the rabbit hole!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/1/17 4:45 p.m.

Do they still hot tank in your neck of the woods?

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
8/31/17 10:31 p.m.

Excellent find , I love the128 , I just picked an X1/9 , I can't wait to get started on it , that is next year's project , right now I'm working on my TVR FORD / Ferrari old SCCA B sports racer . Have fun , I will follow your progress , who knows I may benefit for my X1/9!.

Joseph
Joseph New Reader
11/8/17 2:26 p.m.

Kid's soccer season is over and I finally found a 1500cc mill from an X1/9. Now time to swap everything over. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qb63paZECV7KTjETdTJGVYZh47yF2t8YIp3VLxHQfQfJZG7k1mSCWrC4xaqR040h